Bearded hen

Terry

I've killed two bearded hens: one in the fall and one in the spring. Typically, I would never have even remotely considered killing the spring one; I've had several other opportunities over the years.  The only reason that I took the one I did was that it was the last morning of season, the longbeard that I was after pulled a no show...it was about to start raining and she came in and attacked my decoy. Oh yeah, not to mention this bearded lady had screwed me over several times that season so I guess that it was a personal matter...lol. With that being said, I wouldn't do it again in the spring...

dhhh-1.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Right now at 2 points back of the lead in the chase for the coveted hny cup I might shoot her for the points.

A jake and a bearded hen could win it all if anyone can put together 2 birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

I've heard that antler doe are unable to........wonder if the same holds true for turkey.

I'm 99.9% sure that antlered turkey are also unable to reproduce! :mosking:

A bearded hen doesn't really do anything for me.

Edited by wooly

I wonder if bearded hens can even reproduce, I've heard that antler doe are unable to........wonder if the same holds true for turkey.

A friend of mine who used to do a lot of wildlife photography  ( back in the 35 MM days)had lots of pictures that he had taken of a bearded hen  over a period of several years.  I do remember that he told me that the bearded lady had produced 43 poults in the time period that he had photographed her.

I also read someplace that a significant number of hens ( perhaps 10 %)  will grow beards if they live long enough.

Kinda like Italian girls....

• Like 1

A friend of mine who used to do a lot of wildlife photography  ( back in the 35 MM days)had lots of pictures that he had taken of a bearded hen  over a period of several years.  I do remember that he told me that the bearded lady had produced 43 poults in the time period that he had photographed her.

I also read someplace that a significant number of hens ( perhaps 10 %)  will grow beards if they live long enough.

Kinda like Italian girls....

Check your email.  I just sent you a stunner........................... :O

Pretty sure I passed on one Thursday. Had gray color, smooth head. Good size bird.  Really had to glass it good to make sure. Give me ample time to study.  Still have my doubts though, that it might have been a  jake. I feel good passing, that's all what matters! 

No contest is worth taking out a possible poult producer in these parts.

I've taken a bearded hen in the fall. I passed on a bearded hen the first Saturday of this season. had her at 20 yds. she had a 7-8" beard. Not to change to topic but I watched a hen strut and gobble for 20 minutes 2 years ago. She sounded worse than my calling!! I wouldn't have believed it had I not witnessed it myself. My buddy was hunting that day and he witnessed it too. We were on opposite sides of the ridge and this bird kept going to both of us and squawking her head off.

I've taken a bearded hen in the fall. I passed on a bearded hen the first Saturday of this season. had her at 20 yds. she had a 7-8" beard. Not to change to topic but I watched a hen strut and gobble for 20 minutes 2 years ago. She sounded worse than my calling!! I wouldn't have believed it had I not witnessed it myself. My buddy was hunting that day and he witnessed it too. We were on opposite sides of the ridge and this bird kept going to both of us and squawking her head off.

Les-B-Hens.....

Did she look like Rosie O'Donnel ?