Bye bye Syracuse!

CuseHunter

So I finally registered for classes and was accepted into UB's (university of Buffalo) Pre-med and biomedical health science major. I'm excited for the future two years, and potentially 6 if I get into their medical school after my undergrad.

I'll miss my local hunting spots and going hunting 3 times a week even during the school year while I was commuting from home to school. I don't know what I'm going to do without my hunting camp in cortland or all my local spots :(

Luckily I am planning on living off campus in an apartment so I can bring my firearm or bow and try to sneak off into some public land over there in Erie county or around there.

If anyone has any advice or is from the general buffalo area id really appreciate it. It's going to be interesting hunting completely new lands.

• Like 1

Daughters both went there,one took her boards Monday .. Her BF was pre med and got into a med school in NYC is still waiting on UB to reply.

I'd guess you'll be living by the South campus,be very aware ,lots of crime in some areas students being the victims.

Talked to a BPD Capt. Who said he assigns 10 extra officers just to the college area.

Don't know much about hunting around there,although judging by the thurway death toll, around the airport seems to have many deer....

Good luck !

I live in Erie County (where UB is located).  I have regular trail camera pictures of 160" + deer (look through some of my posts).

Not much public land (a few little nooks and crannies).   Time to start making friends with people to get access to private property.  Look in the record books.  Erie County may have the BEST whitetail hunting (if you can get access) on the entire Eastern seaboard.  It the hidden gem of the deer hunting world.

and no, I won't be your friend, so don't ask about hunting my property...lmao

• Like 2

Just thinking unless your camp is private maybe you have a friend who can presume it's maintenance and make arraignments for you to be there at least once a year. Good Luck.

thankfully I share it with other friends. It's a large piece of land (450 acres) plus nearly 5,000 public acres next to it.

I live in Erie County (where UB is located). I have regular trail camera pictures of 160" + deer (look through some of my posts).

Not much public land (a few little nooks and crannies). Time to start making friends with people to get access to private property. Look in the record books. Erie County may have the BEST whitetail hunting (if you can get access) on the entire Eastern seaboard. It the hidden gem of the deer hunting world.

and no, I won't be your friend, so don't ask about hunting my property...lmao

thanks for the help. I definitely will be meeting a lot of people at college and maybe I'll get lucky with a local who doesn't hunt but has connections to land

Best of luck with your studies. You will find time to hunt later.

yeah, my parents knew I would hate not being able to hunt but reminded me that my grades are the #1 concern, especially with being in the program and my end goal. Worse case scenario, I hunt only during the thanksgiving break and ML during winter break.

yeah, my parents knew I would hate not being able to hunt but reminded me that my grades are the #1 concern, especially with being in the program and my end goal. Worse case scenario, I hunt only during the thanksgiving break and ML during winter break.

Thats not a bad scenario……. Congrats and Good luck

I live in buffalo less then 10 minutes from ub. There are afew Different pieces of state land an hr away there some clear but I've never hunted them. 95% plus of my hunting is done on state land I would be willing to show you a couple of the spots. Letchworth state park has some amazing hunting.

Cuse- closest options would either be alabama swamps or darien state park. I pass a field that borders the darien state park on sumner road there are always deer in it at dusk. This being said, I have never hunted either but hunt the immediate area around darien and usually do well.

Congratulations and best of luck to you!

I went to UB (architecture) many years ago and I knew I'd miss the hunting. In reality I never even had the time to think about it until I finished school. Even Thanksgiving break was spent catching up on sleep! LOL

Remember though, with a camera you can hunt just about everywhere. And it doesn't have to be time-consuming.

Cuse- closest options would either be alabama swamps or darien state park. I pass a field that borders the darien state park on sumner road there are always deer in it at dusk. This being said, I have never hunted either but hunt the immediate area around darien and usually do well.

Darien lake state park is a nuthouse during deer season. I passed 30 something cars on the Broadway and the 77 entrances a few years back. And that leaves Sumner rd parking to boot.No thank you. 

I've heard good things about Alabama swamps but never actually hunted it. 

There's always knocking on doors with a little drive, asking farmers if you could hunt their property. 

Congrats and good luck

Cuse

I went to medical school at UB. I still had plenty of time for hunting. There is some fantastic deer hunting nearby and waterfowling on the Upper Niagara river is world class especially during the late season. If you manage your time well you will have plenty of time to hunt!

You sure you want to go to medical school?  I'm an anesthesiology resident at U of R right now and I wish someone had almost forced me to reconsider my career choice.  Honestly, if I could go back, I would go to dental school..way easier, done in 4 years and get to start paying off the student loans right away instead of deferring them through residency and work way less once in practice. I enjoy anesthesiology and will likely do additional training, but medicine isn't what it used to be...pay is going down, tons and tons of regulation (the worst part), lack of patient respect, work tons of hours, lots of call, malpractice is insanely expensive...all things I didn't consider entirely when applying for medical school.  Cost me about 15,000 just to apply for medical school and residency and fly to the interviews. MCAT, STEP 1,2,3 and Board testing-another 5000$ Not to mention you don't get to start saving for retirement until you are in your late 30s. Make sure you know what you are getting into, and not just shadowing a doctor and seeing the "cool stuff", look at all the "bleeping" paperwork, dealing with difficult patients, licensing and regulations. I thought medicine was what I would "love to do", now, what's most important to me is the little free time I have. Seriously, 5 years undergraduate degree in a insanely difficult major, 4 years medical school and 5 years residency...that's a good chunk of your life where most of your life is work and studying....I do find time to go hunting though.  Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you can find people who are less discouraging than me about the future of medicine. 

You sure you want to go to medical school? I'm an anesthesiology resident at U of R right now and I wish someone had almost forced me to reconsider my career choice. Honestly, if I could go back, I would go to dental school..way easier, done in 4 years and get to start paying off the student loans right away instead of deferring them through residency and work way less once in practice. I enjoy anesthesiology and will likely do additional training, but medicine isn't what it used to be...pay is going down, tons and tons of regulation (the worst part), lack of patient respect, work tons of hours, lots of call, malpractice is insanely expensive...all things I didn't consider entirely when applying for medical school. Cost me about 15,000 just to apply for medical school and residency and fly to the interviews. MCAT, STEP 1,2,3 and Board testing-another 5000$ Not to mention you don't get to start saving for retirement until you are in your late 30s. Make sure you know what you are getting into, and not just shadowing a doctor and seeing the "cool stuff", look at all the "bleeping" paperwork, dealing with difficult patients, licensing and regulations. I thought medicine was what I would "love to do", now, what's most important to me is the little free time I have. Seriously, 5 years undergraduate degree in a insanely difficult major, 4 years medical school and 5 years residency...that's a good chunk of your life where most of your life is work and studying....I do find time to go hunting though. Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you can find people who are less discouraging than me about the future of medicine.

I appreciate the words of advice. I'm actually still open minded about everything. I have shadowed PA's and like the idea of less school and BS you have to deal with. It is definitely a choice I'll have to really consider in the next year. I actually was thinking about applying to u of r too, it's just so expensive . I wasn't worried with the financials of med school because currently I am in the army reserves, and once I get into med school and sign a new contract with amedd, I will have no cost for med school. I appreciate the "enlightenment" if you call it that, and will continue to seek and explore other avenues within the upper medical field.

Okay, now military medicine is a different game altogether, especially if you plan to go career and stay in the military as a doctor. The overhead is way, way less, less hours, patients are usually low ranked so you get the "respect". I worked at Madigan Army base for about a year during medical school, all the physicians and residents seemed pretty happy, worked way few hours. They don't make nearly as much as private, but they have decent retirement and great benefits to make up for it. One of my co-residents is doing the Navy things and he is pretty happy about it.  I have a wife and kid and it just didn't work with my plans to be in the military for medicine, but it could be a great way to secure a career in medicine and serve the greatest country on Earth.