What would you do...

Borngeechee

It's about time I shoot a bear on my property. Had a few chances with bow and missed. So for me if

a bear comes along he is fair game, opening day or not. BTW someone posted you won't see deer if bear are around. I saw 7 bear one afternoon sit Mom and 3 cubs also three different males (or solo females). In between the sighting plenty of deer coming down the same trails. BTW one of the bears came into my mock scrape dowsed with Wildlife buck urine! lol

It depends as, What will you do with it, do you have money for a mount, are yo alone and what size.

I have let a few pass and friends have also est. weight 600 lbs. Just in too rugged areas up very high.

Helped a friend I was hunting with that day carry out a 375 to 400 pound one from down in a wash out 100 feet up all around.On state land( where no motorized vech.were allowed) we were young and strong back then.First it was like a bowl of jelly and it stunk like hell.And a good hike to where we were parked. I swore that day Never Again.

Edited by lurking

shoot the bear....they are not that much harder to get out fo the woods than a large deer.

Average bear you're going to see will be less than 250lbs. throw it on a cart, put it in a sled, or cape it in the woods. walk ot and come back with an atv if you need to. or call a buddy to help out

Regardless, the bear would be shot, I would figure out what come next after the fact. I'm in my 50's and can still drag a sled with a beer / deer a few miles...might take an hour or so. if i'm in the woods further, I would just cape / quarter same way I would do a deer

Edited by mmkay

It will depend. If the drag will be difficult I might pass.

More importantly, I feel morally responsible to use any animal to the fullest extent if I take its life. For a bear, that means it will be a rug. With it costing upwards of $1K to make a rug, I have to think if I'm willing to spend that kind of money at the moment. For me, it'll also mean I have to buy a gift for the wife while I explain to her why I just spent $1K on a bear rug. If times are lean, I'll pass. If it's a great looking bear, I'll whip out the credit card.

• Like 1

if price is a consideration, they think twice. It will cost from $1000 to $5000 on the rug / mount and who does it for you

if you have room in the freezer or a taxidermist that will take payments, then shoot it, you most likely won't see another on a non-paid (non-guided) hunt