Typical or Non-Typical Survey

beachpeaz

That is my argument with my brother-in-law every year leading up to opening day.  He is addicted to what he deems "character."  I call it ugly.  lol.  He would probably even pull the trigger on the non-typical even if it were smaller.

Me, Typical all the way.  I love symetry. 

Wouldn't have any idea what they would "score" anyway so it would depend on how weird it was.  If it was fairly normal looking but with some character I'd take the non-typical.  If it was one of those really freakish looking ones with blades and stuff just sticking out every which way I'd go with the typical.

Actually, the more I think about it I'd probably shoot the freaky one to get it out of the mix and then sell the ugly old thing to Cabela's.  ;)

Edited by covert

Non-Typical! When that guy is waiting his turn to be taken down to meat & bones, he will be the one everyone is talking about. Lets be honest, we all want the spotlight at camp. 

I shot a big spike years ago. Large bodied tired looking old deer, however, he just had spikes ~10" each. While he was hung in the barn the evening of opening day, he was the "conversation piece". This was how it usually went when someone walked into the barn "who shot that basket si....... What the heck is that next to it?"

I would shoot the freak non typical cause it fits my nature. I enjoy the strange and weird anomalies that nature can produce. My girls found a 5 legged frog once, it was growing out of the back of the frog. It even kicked when the hind legs would move to jump. I had my girls set it free back into the pond before I realized I should have taken a photo, darn it!

I love nontypical racks. They can be very unique and one of a kind. I shot a large nontypical that dressed out at 205 years ago and that is one I'll never forget. Unfortunately, his rack was a little busted up. I have taken my share of typical bucks over the years including a 155" with only 3" of deduction in my avatar. If I had the chance, the freak would get it.

post-4978-0-29615200-1408276718_thumb.jp

Edited by NonTypical