DIRT BAG!

AaronBlaine

I am sure by now the majority of you have come across the add for the new deer attractant "DIRT BAG"! If you haven't its a molasses based deer attractant that looks and feels just like dirt!  They claim the product was designed so other hunters wont find your "SWEET SPOT"  out on public hunting grounds.  My question to you is how is this product going to effect baiting in NY.  If guys start bringing out bags of dirt how exactly would the park rangers know about it?  Kinda makes you wonder what the alternative motive for making this product was.  I am curious to hear what every ones views are on the moral issues of baiting in NY when it is CLEARLY illegal.  Some guys are for it and some are not!  Lets hear it!

Always someone trying to work around something. I would guess that if there is something that the deer really are attracted to in a big way, it won't be too secret for very long. I think the ground will be very well torn up in the area where it is used. It may not be as visible as a pile of apples or corn, but it will not be something that any hunter (or warden) passing by will not notice. It's like salt on a rotten stump. You may not see the salt, but the typical damage done to the stump will be the tell-tale evidence. And then there is the packaging. The stuff has to come in a bag or something. That kind of evidence randomly found is usually sufficient to start an investigation. Often the best evidence is the poacher's own mouth. Most of these guys like to talk about how they are screwing with the law. Also, wardens who have suspicions are generally trained in interrogation techniques that trip these guys up with their own words and attempts at being clever.

• Like 2

There's already reports that the stuff molds up within 48 hours. Alot like Big and J products...mold is a big issue with it. Once it molds, deer will avoid it.

This isn't something new...there was "camo corn" before this and plenty of other methods to evade baiting advertising.

Baiters are pretty lame from the standpoint they are breaking the law and cheating others.

I will say I did wish we could use salt/mineral licks. Salt use goes down bigtime in hunting season and its a great inventory tool. Obviously there's the fear from a biology POV that it might pass along disease, but alot of that has been tempered a bit. It's a great tool for inventory and checking the health of the local herd. I understand their rationale, just wish it wasn't the case and we could use them.

Edited by phade

Comparing baiting laws to the safe act is a bit of a stretch, dont you think?

I do not think he was compareing them to the safe act. I think he was saying that like the safe act and many other laws we are told itis in our best interest like we can not decide those things for ourselfs.

IMO putting out a bag of corn or anything else is the same as planting a food plot. Is there less money and work involved? Yes yet it is still done with the same thing in mind bring the deer to mee and get them away from others. They are both things that are not there naturally a person had to put them there. Dump a bag of crushed beats or plant them they are still being put somewhere nature didn't put them mand put them there. Just my opinion

• Like 2

I do not think he was compareing them to the safe act. I think he was saying that like the safe act and many other laws we are told itis in our best interest like we can not decide those things for ourselfs.

IMO putting out a bag of corn or anything else is the same as planting a food plot. Is there less money and work involved? Yes yet it is still done with the same thing in mind bring the deer to mee and get them away from others. They are both things that are not there naturally a person had to put them there. Dump a bag of crushed beats or plant them they are still being put somewhere nature didn't put them mand put them there. Just my opinion

Dumping a pile of corn is not comparable to a food plot, sorry. Thats usually something people say to justify breaking the law. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying you do that, or that I even agree with the current baiting laws. This point could easilly become its own thread lol.

The reason I say comparing or even bringing the SAFE act into this conversation is a stretch, is because SAFE is something that goes against our rights. Hunting is a priviledge, not something thats supposed to be guaranteed. I know exactly why he put it out there though.

• Like 1

No I don't put out bait I also do not put in food plots. I just do not see how those two things are different other then time and cost. How ever like you said that is for another thread so I will leave it at that before this takes the talk way away from what the op intended.

• Like 1

Those who want to be unethical, will alwasy be unethical.  You don't need a special way to do it.  Regardless if it looks like dirt or not, those who have a moral standard woudn't use it.....and those who don't have a moral standard would use it even if it had a neon sign saying illegal.

It has nothing to do with the product and everythign to do with the person buying it.

• Like 2

It seems that the Company that makes "Dirt Bag" may know that baiting is frowned upon, or illegal in some areas, and found a way around it. Look for baits manufactured into the form of dried leafs  and twigs, in the not so distant future.

Comparing baiting laws to the safe act is a bit of a stretch, dont you think?

All depends how you want to spin it. Laws are laws and they must think this is best for all involved but the truth is that if a bunch of so called experts didnt lie and stretch facts then there would be no baiting laws in Ny just like there are none in many others.

The Safe Act,  Are there lies and stretches there also?

seeing that silly stuff on the store shelves really doesn't grab my attention, I really don't give it much thought........I was just flipping through a hunting catalog the other day and the names they put on these products is embarrassing, sadly enough there's more than enough people willing to fork over money for it.

All depends how you want to spin it. Laws are laws and they must think this is best for all involved but the truth is that if a bunch of so called experts didnt lie and stretch facts then there would be no baiting laws in Ny just like there are none in many others.

The Safe Act,  Are there lies and stretches there also?

Yes there are lots of lies in the SAFE act. Like I said I know exactly why you took the leap, but IMO its not really apples to apples.

I dont agree with either law honestly.

seeing that silly stuff on the store shelves really doesn't grab my attention, I really don't give it much thought........I was just flipping through a hunting catalog the other day and the names they put on these products is embarrassing, sadly enough there's more than enough people willing to fork over money for it.

Donkey Butter.

• Like 2

very interesting guys I appreciate all the posts.  As far as baiting in NY goes I do think it goes against the moral fiber of naturally hunting an animal in its natural habitat.  If you introduce something like this to the woods it has to set that natural rhythm of the eco system off.  It may not be a lot but think if it was legal guys would prob be doing it as I have seen over the years plenty of guys buying all kinds of crazy contraptions to try and get the big buck on the wall and in the end I believe 90% of its all hype.  I have never used bait and I am proud of me hunting ethics.  When I shot my first deer it was a gut shot and I wasn't able to recover my harvest.  So I drove home and after a night of it burning in my head I got up and my wife even came with me to help me track it in the rain.  We drove all the way back upstate and believe it or not we found it!  And together we dragged it out of the woods and had a few really nice feasts with some close friends of mine.  It pleases me to hear the majority of the guys responding are against baiting.  To all the younger guys out there remember we are the future of hunting and are responsible for teaching the next generation how to carry on this wonderful age old tradition!  Good luck out there and thanks again.

very interesting guys I appreciate all the posts.  As far as baiting in NY goes I do think it goes against the moral fiber of naturally hunting an animal in its natural habitat.  If you introduce something like this to the woods it has to set that natural rhythm of the eco system off.  It may not be a lot but think if it was legal guys would prob be doing it as I have seen over the years plenty of guys buying all kinds of crazy contraptions to try and get the big buck on the wall and in the end I believe 90% of its all hype.  I have never used bait and I am proud of me hunting ethics.  When I shot my first deer it was a gut shot and I wasn't able to recover my harvest.  So I drove home and after a night of it burning in my head I got up and my wife even came with me to help me track it in the rain.  We drove all the way back upstate and believe it or not we found it!  And together we dragged it out of the woods and had a few really nice feasts with some close friends of mine.  It pleases me to hear the majority of the guys responding are against baiting.  To all the younger guys out there remember we are the future of hunting and are responsible for teaching the next generation how to carry on this wonderful age old tradition!  Good luck out there and thanks again.

I've hunted over bait. It's really not that big of a deal. It's been around for as long as modern hunting has, and even before that. Alot of that has to do with traditional POVs on hunting, just like running dogs for deer (done that, too). Just because it is different than what you grew up with that helped shape your moral compass doesn't mean it is "wrong." It's just different.

• Like 3

What does baiting do to a deers digestive system?  Does it mess it up?  You can read about how supplementle feeding can do more harm than good and also can mess there stomach up.  Wouldnt such things as DirtBag have somewhat the same effect if consumed to a certain degree?  If such things are so attrative to deer do they pass up more native food sources just to get to this crap?  I can not picture in my head this stuff is like a piece of candy but rather a whole bowl of candy to them.  If it is we wouldnt see the pictures of ground torn up all around bait piles.  This has got to effect them negativly other than the potential death by hunter scenario. 

• Like 1