30 Years Alone In A Tent In The Maine Woods & Not Noticed

Mr VJP

Too bad he chose to steal what he needed to live on.  Still gotta give the guy credit for his love of the outdoors.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit

Was this guy enjoying his love of outdoors or was he an anti-social mental deficient that simply snapped one day. I think there is a real sad story here of a very unfortunate individual. It is too bad that no one took a look at his pre-hermit life events to learn more about what makes this guy the social misfit that he obviously turned out to be.

• Like 2

Was this guy enjoying his love of outdoors or was he an anti-social mental deficient that simply snapped one day. I think there is a real sad story here of a very unfortunate individual.

I'm guessing the second scenario is closest to the reason for his life away from MOST of society.

Sad story but interesting nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Was this guy enjoying his love of outdoors or was he an anti-social mental deficient that simply snapped one day. I think there is a real sad story here of a very unfortunate individual. It is too bad that no one took a look at his pre-hermit life events to learn more about what makes this guy the social misfit that he obviously turned out to be.

According to the article, which is 5 pages long though, he claims the outdoors was the only place he ever felt at peace.  I like the one example of going to the lake at night in the middle of the summer heat and just floating in the water and looking at the stars.

Yeah, he must've had some issues, but he really loved the outdoors.

Too bad he chose to steal what he needed to live on.  Still gotta give the guy credit for his love of the outdoors.

I heard he had a laptop with a big sticker across it that said "Papist",lol :secret:

Even if he killed all his own food, and made his own clothes from the critters, and never broke into a single home, folks would be screaming that he "stole it" all from society.

A poor guy can't even run away from home anymore. :umbrage:

He does look pretty healthy under the circumstances.

• Like 1

He didn't.  He broke into homes and cabins when he was sure nobody was home.  Besides he never, ever had a weapon, apparently.

After almost 30 years of living outdoors, I guess I'd consider him an outdoorsman in a way.

Heck he was only doing what a lot of bears do!  LOL! ;)

• Like 2

Good read and article. Whether he stole food or not I still think it's impressive to live in the wild for 30 years in Maine. I honestly don't think any of us here who are dependent on the internet and softness of the technical world could hack it at -20 in the winter day in and out.

Not much of an outdoorsman if you have to break into houses for food and supplies.  How many winters did he spend in one of those cabins?  Interesting read and 27 years in the wild is pretty crazy.  Sounds like he is a hermit and a thief, possible speech problems causing his disconnect from society? 

Interesting read, wonder if his survival details will ever come out.

Interesting article yeah, but the guy had chosen to abandon all things and turned into a glorified thief. Something tells me he's not interested in more fame or a book deal, so he'll probably wind up on welfare. There's a certain expectancy where we should show sympathy for people like that, tired of it.

nothing more than a criminal......may have been slightly interesting if he actually lived off the land by trapping, hunting and fishing, violating people by breaking into their homes and stealing their property is far from impressive.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

nothing more than a criminal......may have been slightly interesting if he actually lived off the land by trapping, hunting and fishing, violating people by breaking into their homes and stealing their property is far from impressive.

My points exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk