heading into a dead-spot

Doc

Hunting seasons are coming to a close in this part of the state pretty darn soon. At my age, winter sports are not really all that interesting. I don't ice-fish anymore (there ain't no ice this year anyway that's fit to stand on). Can't start the garden. Damn! I'm starting to get kind of bored. What are all you guys doing to bust up the winter blahs?

• Like 2

Can not do the stuff I once did as a young buck but I try to hang in and hit the timber the best I can. I will hunt for a couple of more weeks and do some Coyote and Rabbit hunting just to get in the woods which in itself is enjoyable for me.

Back in the day March would be the time I would be getting my fishing gear set for Trout and Walleyes, and fine tuning my Woodchuck rifles and handloading ammo for them. The hunting of Woodchucks is over in my area, not enough to mess with and it is actually rare to see one. Still do some fishing. Summertime was always dog training for my Coon dogs which is pretty much over with for me. I am considering getting a dedicated Squirrel Dog to fool around with.

So I mess around here on my hobby farm with some livestock throughout the rest of the summer along with a small garden, it is hunting season again before I know it.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Can not do the stuff I once did as a young buck but I try to hang in and hit the timber the best I can. I will hunt for a couple of more weeks and do some Coyote and Rabbit hunting just to get in the woods which in itself is enjoyable for me.

Back in the day March would be the time I would be getting my fishing gear set for Trout and Walleyes, and fine tuning my Woodchuck rifles and handloading ammo for them. The hunting of Woodchucks is over in my area, not enough to mess with and it is actually rare to see one. Still do some fishing. Summertime was always dog training for my Coon dogs which is pretty much over with for me. I am considering getting a dedicated Squirrel Dog to fool around with.

So I mess around here on my hobby farm with some livestock throughout the rest of the summer along with a small garden, it is hunting season again before I know it.

Al

Same here. 150 plus head of Whitetails keeps me busy up here in the frozen north but still find the time to get out after the yotes and bunnies and the Snow Geese are starting to hit the fields. Always find time to get down to Letchworth and move stands and scout more river bottom In March and April when the leftover sign is still there. If anything just to keep getting out In the fresh air where there is usually no snow to wade thru. Have to keep moving. 

Edited by Four Seasons
  • Like 1

I started to do a little reloading but my son needs to find some RL19 powder if he wants me to keep reloading for his 270 rifle . I might start shooting a bow in the basement . 

I need to change batteries in several trail cameras but need some decent weather and for my knee to improve more . I had knee replacement 4 1/2 months ago . 

• Like 1

The lack of any frozen ground this winter took out my winter firewood gathering.  With my spare “free-time”, I’ve already exhausted my supply of bucktails, making jigs for bass fishing.  I’m not sure if they will like coyote tail jigs, but that’s all I that I got left, so I’m going to give it a try:

DB480388-EECC-49B7-8427-3DADD47781E0.thumb.jpeg.1460dd68a9d6f6b13a54fc5fbca8ac01.jpeg

Maybe I can get a few more of those before that season closes at the end of March.

• Like 3

The warm temps last week had me down at the local river a few days casting jigs for walleyes, but it seems they were downstream in the slow moving deeper holes.  It's a bit too cold for me to launch a canoe and take a river float trip. I'll keep an eye on the water conditions and may try it again before the season ends on March 14th but I'm mostly waiting to drift garden worms for wild trout in early April.

I still have some firewood to cut and need to take down a few large trees in my yard while the cold weather is here.

• Like 3

My first full winter up here. Been really mild, I'm very lucky. I have been working on the guest area above my garage. My dogs have been great on walks in the woods. They have learned not to run off and pretty much stick by my side. I also took a part time job at Lowes in Hornell. I'm there so often I might as well get paid! lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2023 at 10:32 AM, First-light said:

My first full winter up here. Been really mild, I'm very lucky. I have been working on the guest area above my garage. My dogs have been great on walks in the woods. They have learned not to run off and pretty much stick by my side. I also took a part time job at Lowes in Hornell. I'm there so often I might as well get paid! lol

I'm quoting myself. Just an update the job at Lowes lasted about 2 months. Managers and coworkers were fantastic. Schedule was not! Part time can be between 18-39 hrs a week. Schedule changes week to week. You might out in 8 hrs starting at 5 am or go in at 2pm and work until 11. The lumber department was also too physical for me at my age. They offered to move me to another department but I declined. Talk about AI, a computer makes the schedule thats why it changes all the time. Not a great thing in my mind. I took a job at the Bath Central school district. I'll work at the elementary school cafeteria maintaining the dinning room. 3 3/4 hrs a day 9:45-1:30. Still get in afternoon hunts!!!!

• Like 1

It has been to wet in the woods and too much water in the swamp to check the trail cameras . As soon as I get the bullets I need , I can start reloading . I have been out a few times doing some geo-caching which gets me off my lazy butt and away from the computer . Going to have some vascular surgery done in my right leg next Tuesday and when the leg is okay , I have to start doing some PT for my back . Apparently I have stenosis of the lumbar . Being 81 is no piece of cake !

Was forced into retirement last year due to medical issues. Spent a month in Arizona this winter. Best thing I could have done. Son got laid off work temporarily so we went and enjoyed the desert. Wife loved it too. Metal detecting,  found a gold nugget. Picked up a 5 gal pail half full of petrified wood. When we came home, did a little reloading. Then got pneumonia, laid up for a month. Back on my feet just on time for mowing. Getting old is not for the weak, you gotta be tough! I can't imagine how the younger generation today will be able to do it. I remember my grandfather still grape farming into his 90's. The old timers were really tough. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, here we are in June. Anybody still looking for things to do? I can't even find enough time to do a little fishing. By the way, if anybody tells you that retirement now gives you time to do all those things you never had time to do while you were working, don't listen to them. Since retirement, I have been busier than ever before......lol.

Definitely no “dead spot” for me.  My wife and I went out and built up our frozen fish supply a little on Saturday.  We added (3) quart-sized freezer packs of upper Niagara river smallmouth from (8) “keepers that were between 12-1/8” and 18-1/2” long.  
17EE0BDE-8172-4B23-8180-34F399C55543.thumb.jpeg.26e13d2b392918c6d3b1c05a5df414fa.jpeg

5E4589F2-828F-429D-8F8A-378A63FD3928.thumb.jpeg.cec612de54cfc47befbb192384b34651.jpeg

We still had (3) packs of St Lawrence river largemouth bass in there but those are only good for men over 50 like me to eat according to the advisories in the back of the DEC booklet.  The Upper Niagara smallmouth are ok for women and children.  

I’ve also been very busy on firewood and working on tree stands with my free time.  

743014DC-609F-42D4-8ADD-102F121B443E.thumb.jpeg.979a1420b8951a665d03e7e445280505.jpeg

D07DE29A-669C-4C73-A13F-B235BC583215.thumb.jpeg.ff00153bc3c4352eeb4fdf91717786bf.jpeg

• Like 3