Deer Hoist and butchering Alone.

airedale

Watched a video on butchering a Deer by a gal who has a channel called outdoors Allie, Besides being a very good instruction on how to butcher a Deer what caught my eye was the Deer hoist she was using. I have seen these advertised and have often thought about getting one as most times I am alone and getting a Deer hung is a pain in the ass by myself.  While I like the idea of using the hitch on my truck or tractor at times, most of my hanging and butchering in done in my barn. So I came up with using a wall mounted receiver hitch to put on a wall in the barn and then hook this hoist up to it. I think it will work great.

Al

2023-09-13_062114.png

2023-09-13_062455.png

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, First-light said:

Probably just need the winch and two big eye hooks in your barn

Yes, there are several ways I can get it mounted but I like the receiver hitch wall mount method best because of portability, making it is easy to move with the pull of one pin. I have two tractors and my truck with receiver hitches so I want to be able to use it wherever it happens to be needed.

Al

• Like 2

Here is the second part of the butchering video, I have processed a pile of Deer in my day but I have to admit I learned a couple of tips from this gal. The old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is not true, I learn new things all the time. Both the above video and this one are very good.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I had one of those rope hoists in the garage . It was hard to control and it didn't always catch right like it was supposed to . I bought a 2500# battery operated winch and installed it which made the job easier . Now , both of my sons that hunt have installed winches . I made a video several years ago . 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I find the toughest job of deer processing is separating the silver skin from the meat. Some is tough, others not so much. Depends on the age of the animal.  I do not like it and is very time consuming getting it all off.  Any secrets I've missed?

I dont find it as being hard, maybe because I've butchered quite a few over the years. But I do tend to take my time to ensure it's all off.

18 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I find the toughest job of deer processing is separating the silver skin from the meat. Some is tough, others not so much. Depends on the age of the animal.  I do not like it and is very time consuming getting it all off.  Any secrets I've missed?

Fillet knife and meat cold but not frozen. Comes right off

• Like 1

So I decided to go with the Kill Shot hoist pictured ,above, for my situation the versatile portability factor of being able to use with my vehicles that have a 2 inch receiver hitch and a secure 2 inch mount for use in my barn sealed the deal.

It came yesterday and it was assembled without a problem, It is heavy and constructed well with a 500 lb capacity. As far as I can see it should do it's job well and hopefully this hunting season will give it a chance to see what it's got.

Al

• Like 1

I just have a rope pulley in my shed that I've used for years.  I find it allows me to hoist a deer by myself easy enough, though it does have a lot of rope to wrap up when I use it.  I just hang my deer for a while then take it to the butcher close by.  He de-bones all the cuts and vacuum wraps everything real good in clear plastic so it doesn't get freezer burn even if it's in the freezer for a year.  For $100, I have too many other things I'd rather do during the hunting season then spend time butchering deer anymore.  I used to take me at least 6 hours to do it all myself and I don't have the vacuum sealer and plastic bags, so I just let him do it while I continue to hunt or relax.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Grouse said:

too many other things I'd rather do during the hunting season then spend time butchering deer anymore. 

Butchering is one of my least favorite things to do, don't care if it is a Squirrel, Rabbit, Gamebird or a Deer, I am not fond of it. I have a rule that if I kill something it must be utilized. Even varmints like Fox Coon and Coyote get skinned and the hides given to a friend of mine that messes with fur. That rule has given many a free pass as on that particular day I was not in the mood to be dressing out an animal, if I get the crosshairs on them it is sometimes good enough.

When I do butcher I want things to go as smooth and easy as possible and good equipment is always a plus.

With the prices meat is bringing these days I had better start learning to like butchering.

Al

Edited by airedale

I butcher most of them in our insulated stage. I like to use a cheap little 4:1 block and tackle for most deer or a small come a long for those much over 150 lbs field dressed:

99937F9A-7DA6-4549-B11C-65A7A87C42D9.thumb.jpeg.2f614fea81e126b0a6364b348a4ea36b.jpeg

F8C23DD5-9D36-4953-9537-1A3FA8583267.thumb.jpeg.4bb7d166d8b2171fe5a0b70de3f455ad.jpeg

I kind of like butchering but  only if I can take my time and just do one at a time.  I really like this antlerless gun season.  I spent about (3) hours trimming every last tender morsel off of that little “fatted calf” yesterday evening.  Had to get that deer fridge cleared for hopefully a nice grinder doe this weekend.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3