Just shot a deer could use some help

BowWeldingJohn

Also,with a high hit check for blood a bit higher too. Look a foot or two high on blades of grass,branches and underbrush. Anything the deer could have brushed against while moving through. 

Don't give up to easily! You owe it to the animal to do everything you can to find it!

Well no Recovery was made. I had some friends come out and help look we followed the bloodtrail right into a corn field were we searched for her for 3 hours and found zip... So we beileve it was a flesh wound..

Thanks for all your help everyone.

an 11" flesh wound? lol
  • Like 1

Wow!  Some people have to stop passing judgment.  The Kid is 16 years old.  Give him credit and stop being harsh.  It's happen to all of us and if it hasn't, it will sometime.  Young man is out in the woods hunting and then up late on this forum trying to get advice.  We all learn from our mistakes.

Remorse after a lost deer is often overwhelming. I can relate bud. It's a sickening feeling. You are the only one who can know if you truly feel like you put in enough effort to recover the hit deer. I was rooting for ya and I'm gonna remain doing so. It happens. You did the right thing in asking for help. Get back in there and knock.one down!

• Like 1

Well being 16 this is how you learn. Was also rooting for you. I, myself have been down this road and I am sure many ppl on this forum have been too. Seems like you did some good things in trying to recover the deer and hopefully you gave it your best shot. Remember you owe it to animal and yourself to give it the best you can.

Edited by rotorooter23
  • Like 2

I can't hold back, I just can't Sorry. He did not look as long as he said. You guys gave more energy with advice than he did searching.

Excuse me? What makes you think that?

Look at the time on my posts, from the time I said I was heading back out to the time That I got back it had been 4 hours..

I did every Possible thing to my knowledge to retrive the deer, even had help from somone who has alot (50 years) more expiernce then I to help locate the animal. There was nothing more I could have done.

A bit harsh Paula, don'y you think. This kid was out looking, using social media for suggestions. I like what he did. We always bitch about kids not getting involved in hunting, this kid goes the distance and then some. Good for you John. You gave it a good look and at times you just have to give up. Hopefully the deer lives and maybe you see it again. I'll use the word "failure" in a sense that you failed to find the deer. What you have learned from this experience you keep in that head of yours and use it next time you have to track. Good luck with the rest of the season!

• Like 6

Sorry you couldn't find her.  Keep your chin up, everyone has made a bad shot, everyone.  As long as you learn from your mistakes you will be better off.  Now you can look for buzzards and listen for coyotes.  Granted the meat is lost, but if you see or hear any of these it may be worth inspecting.   

I said I didn't want to be harsh, and I hope I was wrong. The only reason I said it was because I thought it was weird he had to have permission for for deer search to be out there.

Unless it was on Hulmes

Deer search needs consent from the owner directly for liability purposes and so they can call the DEC if necessary. That's a known fact.

• Like 1

As a former Deer Search tracker,Phade is correct. Before any tracking begins,consent must be given by any and all land owners where tracking will take place. Also local DEC is notified by the tracker who will give his tracking licence number and the area he or she will be tracking in.

As far as this young hunter goes,I commend him for seeking advice and doing all he could do to recover his deer. With his limited experience,and we have all been there,he did more than some so called veteran hunters would have. I'm sure he learned some valuable lessons from this.

John,get back out there in your stand and just kill a deer! Please post it here so we all can see the smile on your face! Good luck!

• Like 3

paula when they came out for me  this is what happened...we sat in kitchen ..he wrote downall my taginfo...called the DEC told them a search was needed and where gave them my in fo and before going out had to make sure I had permission from area land owners to track on their places...I showed him the #'s and explained I called all but one in advance and he waited until I did that...then we went out searching...Oh I had to sign some paper work and he gave me a tutorial on what we preceive as shot placement and what actually happens in many instances.....

I am a current member of Deer Search. Although I'm fairly inexperienced still, you do not need direct permission from the land owner. The hunter signs off that HE/SHE has permission to be on the land and Deer Search then calls the DEC to notify them of the search and provides the landowner name. If a trespass occurs, it's the hunters violation.

As a side note, best results occur from the dogs when people do not contaminate the woods by spreading scent and blood. This sounded like a non fatal hit to me and in my opinion a good effort was made to recover. Keep at it kid!