The Legendary NYS Wolf

beachpeaz

too many people in this thread are using the term coyote in general term. what we have in NY is not a "coyote". It's an eastern coyote. A coyote in it's native original form is much smaller, like a big fox and started in the west. So be careful when you're google searching. the eastern coyote does have wolf in it, so people getting confused can be common.

very hard to judge size given how far he's sitting back. My golden retriever weighs 85 and looks bigger than that. I'd put that coyote at 60 max and will stand by it until we see some more pics and preferably a scale pic.

Edited by Belo

We have killed 60+ coyotes a year for the last 10 years, and I have only seen one close to 60lbs...58 being the heaviest. Only been a dozen over 50. Any one who says they get 60-70lbs yotes are not believeable. Of all those yotes I believe they average around 35lbs.

This one was 41

OPENSEASONYOTE.jpg

2-25bay.jpg

IMG_0282-1.jpg

yotes001.jpg

this one was 47

bb010.jpg

Edited by HOUNDS77
  • Like 3

We have killed 60+ coyotes a year for the last 10 years, and I have only seen one close to 60lbs...58 being the heaviest. Only been a dozen over 50. Any one who says they get 60-70lbs yotes are not believeable. Of all those yotes I believe they average around 35lbs.

This one was 41

OPENSEASONYOTE.jpg

2-25bay.jpg

IMG_0282-1.jpg

yotes001.jpg

this one was 47

bb010.jpg

what's your guess on the weight of the one in the original post?

Like I said, I don't care enough to dig into it.  If its a Yote, great, if not, great.  I know this is always a fun subject on here.  he's claiming it is a wolf.  DEC said no.  I would trust the DEC over a friend of a friend.

However, with that said, why are people so quick to dismiss a wolf could be in NYS??  I think it is completely practical.  They don't live that far from here.  It was unfathomable that there could be elk in NYS until just a few years ago also....now we can hunt them!  It is not impossible for one to have migrated that far, or for them to have been raised and release (legally or illegally).  Just sayin.

Neither did anyone else say there was any hunting season for them in NY....

Mike...See above.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Tough to say what the weight of that coyote is, but I know I am horrible at judging. We weigh every coyote. For the first few years we were way off at guessing, but seeing them in person we have an idea now. Its funny when a newbie tries to guess the weight. They are about 20lbs off..on the heavy side.

too many people in this thread are using the term coyote in general term. what we have in NY is not a "coyote". It's an eastern coyote. A coyote in it's native original form is much smaller, like a big fox and started in the west. So be careful when you're google searching. the eastern coyote does have wolf in it, so people getting confused can be common.

very hard to judge size given how far he's sitting back. My golden retriever weighs 85 and looks bigger than that. I'd put that coyote at 60 max and will stand by it until we see some more pics and preferably a scale pic.

Use the trap on its paw to judge size.

funny how people knit pick the out of every word in here.  It is as if you have no life but to pounce on words out of context.  There are Elk in NYS.  There is a hunting season in PA on the Elk that were transplanted at the same time.  It is a matter of time before there is a limited entry draw here in NY on the Elk.  So, i was stating there is Eastern elk hunting season, which there has never been in my lifetime.  PA, NY, what the hells the difference.....Its not traveling to UT, CO,WY, etc.

Which wasn't the point of the thread, but thats what you get in this forum.  Know-it-alls.  People who know everything about everything.

Anyways, for those of you who read what I wrote, i could care less if is or isn't a wolf, or a coyote or a dog in a costume.  Was posted for people to see, the point of a forum.  so everyone calm down already.  good god.

Edited by burmjohn
stop cursing!

Don't really care about pics posted, wolf coyote or otherwise. I'm more concerned about a DEC. coverup.

Yes boys and girls, it just could be possible. Chew on that!

exactly my point.  Thats what you get for sharing things in here.  There are a handful of people who know everything and will stop at nothing to prove a point.  My post was just to share a picture. 

Go ahead.  Are you disputing that there are Elk in NYS??  And are you disputing that they get shot??

beachpeaz, I remember reading of a couple raised elk that go out of a fenced area that got shot by some hunters a few years back in NY. I haven't read or seen any stories on the PA elk making it here yet. Have you? Would love to read them.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Go ahead.  Are you disputing that there are Elk in NYS??  And are you disputing that they get shot??

.  It was unfathomable that there could be elk in NYS until just a few years ago also....now we can hunt them!

You said we could hunt them.Don't lump me into any illegal activity bud

Edited by MACHINIST

Don't really care about pics posted, wolf coyote or otherwise. I'm more concerned about a DEC. coverup.

Yes boys and girls, it just could be possible. Chew on that!

Bureaucrats within DEC who would put their careers at risk in a cover up are as rare as wolves, cougars and wild elk in New York. Conspiracy theories.........................

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 2

Bureaucrats within DEC who would put their careers at risk in a cover up are as rare as wolves, cougars and wild elk in New York. Conspiracy theories.........................

yeah, and what would be the benefit to cover up an animal that suddenly shows up in a new area, whether it be just passing through or establishing a new population?

I just find this humorous.  I am done with this post.  I simply forwarded a picture and someones account.  Wolf, Coyote, whatever.  Nobody will know and frankly I don't care.  I didn't trap it and I didn't weigh it.  I find it the most interesting that most people chimed in to say that because it weighed less than what the guy claimed, it must not be a wolf.  lol.  Wolves must ALL be 150lbs and they must be born 150lbs.  There are no wolves that weight 30 lbs, 40lbs, 70lbs, etc..  Just ridiculous assumptions by the typical few know-it-alls in here.

Anyways, it all good.  I'm going to go get some work done.  You folks can keep debating all you want.  Feel free to read this paragraph also and see if you find some typos or inaccurate statements to dwell on since you have nothing else to do :)

Enjoy your day people.  Happy hunting!