hang fire

martin hunter

i have a TC omega and use triple 7 pellets. Im having  trouble now with slow fire then hang fire a half second delay after pulling trigger. Im not sure the cause, i clean it start over same thing happens almost all the time now. I have new powder , thought that was reason but still doing it.could it be the pellets not seated ? Im using tr 7 new primers too. Thinking of going to blackhorn 209, thats a loose powder correct ? 

I also have an omega and use the same powder.  I had a problem in the past and found that the breech plug port was somewhat clogged.  I remedied this by using a small piece of wire thru the hole to clean it out and then test fired with primer only.  Never had a problem since.  Hole this helped. 

• Like 1

Run an 1/8 drill bit thru the breech plug with your fingers. If it doesn't go thru fairly easily, that's your problem.

Holy crap. I replace nipples when the flame hole gets much bigger than 1/16". Same with a touch hole on a flintlock. 

Not trying to be smart a$$ but are the flame holes for modern muzzle loaders normally that large?

Same here i can only fit my breach plug hole on my omega with a pin, a 1/8" sounds huge.I would not recommend drilling out the breach, just get a pin and push it through. If its really blocked then use plyers to hold the pin and push through the breach plug hole. Has always worked for me and will most likely remedy your issue assuming all your powder and primers are good.

Not drilling - cleaning out the built up carbon. Good to soak 1st.

I've done it dozens of times on an Omega, Triumph and several Knights.

Some start a little smaller with a 7/64. If it doesn't go thru, it is partially blocked and can cause issues.  

Can't speak about ALL MLs, but my T/C Triumph's breech plug port will only take a 0.019/0.020" gage pin. In a Triumph, the port has 3X diameter holes. Cleaning with Q-tips, pipe cleaners & a small diameter pin or wire is necessary. A shot of air helps, either canned air or from a compressor. I also use Triple 7 pellets and have never had a hang fire. BTW - Moisture is the worst enemy of any blackpowder during storage and useage. You know; Keep your powder dry! Also, there's a slight difference in primers, some are hotter than others. IE; Winchester T7 209 primers.

Before loading any ML after cleaning, always fire a cap/primer only to clear debris &/or olis out of the port.

• Like 1

If your flash hole is clear, you my be using too hot a primer and blowing pellets and bullet down the barrel be for it ignites. Try a cooler burning primer. You should not have to ever drill out the hole larger, and it reduces the performance off your gun.

Edited by G-Man

Apparently not making myself clear - so for the 3RD time - YOU DO NOT USE THE 1/8 DRILL BIT TO REMOVE METAL!!!!!

It doesn't go in a drill - you turn it with your fingers to clear the built up carbon that can be formed in the flash channel. Many times soaking, air, bread tie etc is NOT enough to get it all out and back to factory. Factory for TC and at least the older Knights IS 1/8" - just verified on my new never used Triumph back up plug.

If you can't get the bit though easily, soak it and then do it. Goal is to get back to bare metal and that is 1/8" with TC. Partially blocked channel is a huge contributor to hang/slow fires and a major reason for accuracy issues.

• Like 1

I soak my breech plug in hot soapy water it clears the hole up pretty quick

How long do you leave the breach plug in the soap solution?  Does it cause rust over time?  I've been using a store bought solution and not completely happy with the results.

Are you sure you are putting the pellets in the correct way? On end is darker and that is black powder on them to make the pellet ignite. Dark end goes in first.

I read this and said hmmm. Something I never knew????

Then I got my box of Hodgdon triple 7 pellets out and looked at them and read the box and pamphlet with it , and there is no mention of this..

Where did this information you posted come from.??

Scroll down to the headline "IMPORTANT"

http://hodgdon.com/ml-warning.html

Each Pyrodex Pellet contains a black ignitor on one end. When loading the Pellet, for best ignition, place the black ignitor end of the Pellet into the barrel first. No orientation is necessary for Triple Seven Pellets.

Not necessary for triple 7

That's why it wasn't stated on my package ..

Thanks

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader