Best Place to Retire Away From Snow in East Coast???

halfnelson

Cabin fever!!!  What place would you retire to get away from snow south of Jersey?  Looking to deer hunt, clay target shoot, pay low taxes, low cost of living, and no tornadoes.  I know ... only in Heaven!!!  I'm thinking Delaware ,  What ya think???  Anybody from Delaware?    

would Delaware be an escape from these lousy winters?.....Nevada maybe?

Edited by jjb4900

Delaware often gets hammered with deep snow.  I think you would have to go at least as far as No Carolina

Some of my in laws live near Dover DE and I've been stuck down there when the deep snow came in February and the roads don't get plowed for 2 days.

Edited by Mr VJP

I have traveled thru or visited most of the eastern states, mid-west, and some western states.

It snows in Delaware. Slid down the sidewalks from dorm to classes in some storms when in college there.  Sometimes end up with freezing rain instead of snow.

Do have hurricanes come up the coast.

Summertime lots of beach traffic.

Sussex and Kent counties are the most rural counties - lots of chickens.

No rifle hunting there.

I'd say eastern Virginia or further south.  But then your talking hotter summers and higher humidity.

No snow - Florida Keys will work.

• Like 1

I have been thinking the same thing, south!

Want to stay east coast. Not too far that you do not get seasons. No Florida bull....too hot!! Somewhere in that range of KY, TN VA and NC. I gotta think of good school district as well. Need good deer hunting. Bonus would be able to drive to Ocean within 6 hours less better. Not on coast due to expense and hurricanes. Reasonable to cheap land prices. Realistic gun/pistol laws.......

Kentucky/Tennesee have lots of mountainous area.

Western areas of Virginia and North Carolina are mountainous - Blue Ridge mountains, Shenandoah National Park, Smokie Mountains.    You would need to be an hour or two east of the Blue Mountains to be 6 or less hours from the ocean in Virginia.

Spent a couple years in Richmond Va. - 4-5 hours from the closest entrance to BlueRidge/Shenandoah Parkway and 2 hours or so from the coast.

There isn't any perfect place. I had a Sister down near Richmond and I never cared much for the area. Too hung up on the Civil War, really poor snow removal ( like 2 days later ) and beastly hot and humid in the summer. I built a couple of houses and renovated one down in Cary NC and it was nice enough but I didn't connect with it.

The Blue Ridge Mountains were nice but get quite a bit of snow so you're not gaining much except better taxes.

I've got a Brother down in St Augustine Fla, and it's nice enough, but it's Fla. I ain't dead yet.....

I'm looking hard but keep coming back to NY. I think I'm staying.

A little town west of Ashville North Carolina, called Brevard. Very close to Pisgah national forest, thousands of acres of prime whitetail hunting. And some very large antlered bucks. Four seasons, beautiful mountain foliage in the fall, mowing grass by march and far enough west to miss the brunt of most hurricanes. Spent a good amount of time there and the people are fantastic. If not for the fact that I want to be close to the grand kids, I would be there now.

A little town west of Ashville North Carolina, called Brevard. Very close to Pisgah national forest, thousands of acres of prime whitetail hunting. And some very large antlered bucks. Four seasons, beautiful mountain foliage in the fall, mowing grass by march and far enough west to miss the brunt of most hurricanes. Spent a good amount of time there and the people are fantastic. If not for the fact that I want to be close to the grand kids, I would be there now.

My brother lived in Franklin, pretty nice there. I rode my motorcycle down there a few yrs ago so I was able to ride through the mountains there.

there's a couple of warm State's that won't tax my pension Federally or through the State....that's where I'm setting my sights....as of now it's a toss up between Florida and Nevada, I can retire in 3 months but am giving myself 5 years to play with before I pull the plug.

Edited by jjb4900

I have been to almost all of the lower 48 and I would put NY well above all of them. No other state has the beautiful places that we have. I cant stand desert and all them shots of the grand canyon during last nights Super-bowl kept me turning away from the screen. Anywhere South of upper PA is just too damn hot in the summer for me.

I look forward to all seasons in upstate NY, spring, summer, fall, and winter. California is a nice place to visit but I would never choose to live there. I certainly would not want to live in a Southern State where it was almost always uncomfortably hot outside in the summer. I also wouldn't want to live and hunt in a state that was inundated with wild hogs. Smallmouth bass rate right up there with whitetail deer with me and no other state can touch the fishing we have here for those.

If winter gets to you, then before shipping out to "greener pastures", try taking up some winter sports. Skiing, Snowmobiling, Snow-shoeing, Ice-skating, Ice fishing, etc.. A wood-stove in the house helps a lot also. Making firewood in the winter can be fun. I even enjoy clearing snow out of the driveways. Having good equipment is a necessity for those two jobs however. When my job or family has me travel to those other states, I always look forward to coming home, and I take pity on those poor folks who have to live outside of upstate NY.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I have been to almost all of the lower 48 and I would put NY well above all of them. No other state has the beautiful places that we have. I cant stand dessert and all them shots of the grand canyon during last nights Super-bowl kept me turning away from the screen. Anywhere South of upper PA is just too damn hot in the summer for me.

if you can't stand dessert, don't order it....it's too fattening anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for the spell check. That reminds me of a couple things that do seem a little better in some other states. The ladies are prettier in California on average by a wide margin, and there is definitely better food available for purchase in most of them other states. What you can kill and make yourself does not get any better than we have right here however. I never cared much for the sweets and usually skip "dessert".

If I were ever to move (which ain't going to happen) I would add one more condition. Very few poisonous snakes. When hunting, I want to be always scanning for wild game, not some disgusting crawling thing on the ground that can do me harm. I like sitting in the woods without having to study where I am going to sit for some pissed-off viper that takes it personal when he gets sat on.

I know it's not the east coast, but I am thinking Hawaii might work well.

I have been to almost all of the lower 48 and I would put NY well above all of them. No other state has the beautiful places that we have. I cant stand desert and all them shots of the grand canyon during last nights Super-bowl kept me turning away from the screen. Anywhere South of upper PA is just too damn hot in the summer for me.

I look forward to all seasons in upstate NY, spring, summer, fall, and winter. California is a nice place to visit but I would never choose to live there. I certainly would not want to live in a Southern State where it was almost always uncomfortably hot outside in the summer. I also wouldn't want to live and hunt in a state that was inundated with wild hogs. Smallmouth bass rate right up there with whitetail deer with me and no other state can touch the fishing we have here for those.

If winter gets to you, then before shipping out to "greener pastures", try taking up some winter sports. Skiing, Snowmobiling, Snow-shoeing, Ice-skating, Ice fishing, etc.. A wood-stove in the house helps a lot also. Making firewood in the winter can be fun. I even enjoy clearing snow out of the driveways. Having good equipment is a necessity for those two jobs however. When my job or family has me travel to those other states, I always look forward to coming home, and I take pity on those poor folks who have to live outside of upstate NY.

I have to agree with you that upstate New York is hard to beat with the Mountains, abundance of public land, all the streams, rivers and lakes....

I have no interest in Skiing, skating, snowmobiling, snowshoeing...... I like to be outside not in Sorrels and Parkas!!  Looking for something similar that may gain me a couple months of true outside weather!! Without losing four seasons and being oppressively hot. As well as some state that does not keep trying to take my gun rights away. And does so much to push businesses out of the state.

Edited by Fletch

If I were ever to move (which ain't going to happen) I would add one more condition. Very few poisonous snakes. When hunting, I want to be always scanning for wild game, not some disgusting crawling thing on the ground that can do me harm. I like sitting in the woods without having to study where I am going to sit for some pissed-off viper that takes it personal when he gets sat on.

I know it's not the east coast, but I am thinking Hawaii might work well.

Snakes eat just fine!! Now spiders..................that's a different story!! :scared: