Beer Cans

beachpeaz

I don't know what apalls me more, the total lack of respect for our wildeness and complete ignornace of people who toss their beer cans in the woods OR the fact that people think it is ok to consume alcohol while they are hunting with a deadly weapon!

I shed hunted for about 6 hours yesterday and came across no less than 50 beer cans in the woods.  I came across a tree stand that had 12-15 laying around at the base of it.

People disgust me.....and scare me.....that they would even fathom drinking and shooting.

I can walk deep into any set of woods and always rely on fiding at least 1 beer can.  Crazy.

Done venting!

• Like 6

i carry a trash bag in my jeep andwell scouting or fishing pick them up some times il take the kids for walks and let them pick them up since i live on a dirt road and state lands all around me we deal with it alot worse are kids during the summer having partys some people are just reckless slobs

• Like 2

People who do this, and other type of littering in the woods have no respect. Carry in carry out does not even cross their mind.

The fact that beer/drinking is so important to some people that they must drink and hunt is disturbing to me. Please dont think that I am a saint, I like beer, but as with anything, there is a time and a place.

Edited by Big Indian
  • Like 4

i carry a trash bag in my jeep andwell scouting or fishing pick them up some times il take the kids for walks and let them pick them up since i live on a dirt road and state lands all around me we deal with it alot worse are kids during the summer having partys some people are just reckless slobs

I wish i was strong engouh to carry a bag that big.  I think I could dedicate my life to cleaning up the woods and never accomplish another thing.  It is CRAZY the amount of garbage in the woods even besides the beer cans. 

I just don't get it.

People who do this, and other type of littering in the woods have no respect. Carry in carry out does not even cross their mind.

The fact that beer/drinking is so important to some people that they must drink and hunt is disturbing to me. Please dont think that I am a saint, I like beer, but as with anything, there is a time and a place.

We all have our vices for sure.  I am not condoning having some beers with your hunting buddies, but do that at night when you are lying about the monster you saw and couldn't get a shot...lol.

I've had some morning's after getting together with the guys that first night that i had to crawl to my stand with a garbage can in one hand and sunglasses in the other...lol.....but that is AFTER i'm done for the day.

There is ZERO room for someone to be drinking before or during the act of hunting.

Its sad really to think that someone is that desperate that that would even cross their mind.

I don't know of any hunters who abuse alcohol prior or during hunts but I know lots of fisherman who do.   If only they knew how badly that affects their ability to detect a strike.   Many times I have caught my limit in a boat, where others never even had a bite.  I know that was mostly due to alcohol.    If the law could somehow simulate the feel of a fish breathing on a lure, it would be more effective than a breathalizer in determining intoxication.   I never crack my first beer until I have my limit in the live-well.   Bobbers and downriggers are a couple handy tools that help even the playing field for the beer-drinkers.  I much prefer to feel the fish take in the lure and I have to be stone-sober for that.   That said though, there is nothing quite as satisfying as licking a fresh, raw, "still-twitching" walleye cheek off a fillet knife and washing it down with a big gulp of Genesee Cream Ale.  Those sushi-eating saki-drinking Japanese folks ain't got nothing on those of us who are lucky enough to fish and drink in NY.         

I am 100 percent with you on this, and have often carried out trash here at Otis Pike and Sarnoff. Since I have to return to the ranger station at the end of my day hunting I often bring back a bag of trash and put it in their trash bins. My other pet peeve is shotgun shells, Since it's pheasant stocked land and heavily used i picked up over 300 spent shotgun shells and 10 unspent ones in one afternoon alone.

We all have our vices for sure. I am not condoning having some beers with your hunting buddies, but do that at night when you are lying about the monster you saw and couldn't get a shot...lol.

I've had some morning's after getting together with the guys that first night that i had to crawl to my stand with a garbage can in one hand and sunglasses in the other...lol.....but that is AFTER i'm done for the day.

There is ZERO room for someone to be drinking before or during the act of hunting.

Its sad really to think that someone is that desperate that that would even cross their mind.

I'm not picking on you, but if you spent the night drinking and were in the condition you just described , you most likely were under the influence when you where hunting in the morning ..

Your body can only get rid of one drink per hour , so going to bed at 2.00 am snickered and waking up at 6.00 am your still under the influence ,, ask me how I know I got a DWI when I was 20 driving home from a party the next morning for a brake light out ...

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

I'm not picking on you, but if you spent the night drinking and were in the condition you just described , you most likely were under the influence when you where hunting in the morning ..

Your body can only get rid of one drink per hour , so going to bed at 2.00 am snickered and waking up at 6.00 am your still under the influence ,, ask me how I know I got a DWI when I was 20 driving home from a party the next morning for a brake light out ...

very true..........his condition as described would put him in the "under the influence" category.

Just selfish, ignorant lazy slobs . Both drinking while hunting and littering effects everyone else. The drinking more, because of the danger it poses to not only the drunk idiot, but to other hunters. As far as the littering…..I could never understand how it is so easy to carry stuff in but such a huge inconvenience to carry the lighter  back load out.

By late May early June, I can guarantee that the banks of my favorite trout streams will look like a dumpster explosion. Makes me sick.

I'll tell you another form of litter that is getting more and more prevalent with each year. Those stupid mylar party balloons that everyone gets so happy seeing floating off into the wild blue yonder. Where the heck do they think those will wind up. Do they think that just because they can't see them anymore that they evaporated or instantly decomposed. Well, they don't evaporate and they don't decompose. They come down in the woods as litter.

• Like 3

Doc here are two balloons I found on my last shed hunt. I swear my spot must be under some main flight path for these things , right where they start to drop. I find some each year, the ones caught in branches you can see from a long ways off, at first I often think it's a person in the woods," hey there's someone in blue over there .....

post-253-0-21427700-1428764672_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-45600500-1428764691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302

Picked up 7 empty hulls from goose hunters in the corn field,a few balloons,bunch of beer/soda cans and a old grill from my scouting trip today.I hate trash,i usually carry a grocery bag just to take trash out with when scouting.I don't do it while hunting because I already have enough stuff I carry.I bet in the last few years I could have filled a pickup bed full of garbage I've taken out of the woods

I hate litter but how do you deduce that these beers were consumed by people carrying loaded guns????

I found a f*%&in diaper in the woods the other day...

I'd imagine the diaper got carried out ther by something....as I have a lil one just out of them...I can tell ya first hand there isn't a animal out there who can resist taking them to see what's inside lol

I hate litter but how do you deduce that these beers were consumed by people carrying loaded guns????     

Ok, I make it an absolute habit to pick up any trash and litter that I find in the woods, shove it in a pocket or my pack and haul it out. But, I will draw the line at picking up a dirty diaper. That just ain't going to happen.

• Like 4

That was exagerated for effect sir.  I am a very serious hunter.  I would NEVER jeopordize my opportunity to have the best possible chance any time I am in a stand.  I am usually in bed by 8 or 9 pm the night prior to hunting with ear plugs in to avoid the noise by the party part of my crowd.

That said, the after effects of drinking too much (AKA a hangover) is simply dehydration, which can cause headaches, sensativity to light and naseau (thus my joking reference to sunglasses and a garbage can).....it does not mean you are still under the influence.  Tell me you haven't been hungover in your life for the entire next day after drinking too much?  Alcohol is long out of your system by then.

Regardless, I don't condone that or would justify that in any way, shape or form.

I'll tell you another form of litter that is getting more and more prevalent with each year. Those stupid mylar party balloons that everyone gets so happy seeing floating off into the wild blue yonder. Where the heck do they think those will wind up. Do they think that just because they can't see them anymore that they evaporated or instantly decomposed. Well, they don't evaporate and they don't decompose. They come down in the woods as litter.

Its funny about that.  I never paid any attention to those things while out shed hunting (or doing anything in the woods) until 2 yeas ago when I was following a fellow member, Sam Potters, Shed Hunting  Blog.  He decided to track Mylar balloons along with the sheds, dead heads and dead deer he found.  The Mylar balloons won pretty handlily.

Since that blog, it brought those things to my attention, and I would agree, they are EVERYWHERE.  I definitely find more balloons than sheds each year. 

Maybe our government should individually serial number them like bullets so they can waste even more money tracking those culprits....lol.

My reference to finding 12-15 underneath a guys tree stand?  You are probably right, he was just getting away from his wife and getting loaded in the tree stand, but not hunting.

While I am sure some people may take beer to the stand, I suspect many of the cans found were probably consumed either by non-hunters, or at times not hunting. Not justifying or condoning anything, but I think alot of people are telling themselves a story (ladder of inference) because they are equating to finding beer cans around a stand or in the woods as factual that it was drank while someone was hunting.

I am sure alot of these beers were probably drank by kids who found the stand, or kids who camped out in the summer, etc. Or, they could be beers drank by the hunters during non-hunting times, whether it be after some stand work, etc. It doesn't excuse the piss poor action of leaving it around, but I suspect a big portion of the beer cans found are not by hunters. Look at the beer brands, too. Many times they'll be cheaper brands - which I would guess is likely from teens. I see alot of GL, PBR, and basic colored water brands.

I've found beer cans around my stand before, and 6 mos. later found out it was a younger cousin who had been entertaining a young lady and they parked the truck and had a small bonfire in the field. They walked around the woods a bit and hung around my stand and tossed the cans. They got a talking to for leaving the trash, but it certainly is alot more plausible than me drinking them while on stand because that most certainly won't happen.