Cornell campus buck...

WNY Bowhunter

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We drive through the campus on our way to hunt. My buddy and his dad saw this buck Thanksgiving morning. My buddy said it was the biggest buck he's ever seen alive. In the dark he said this buck goes 150-160 easy. He'll be excited to see him in the daylight.

There are nice bucks close to the Cornell campus. I hit one with my truck crossing the road from the golf course about 3 or 4 years ago. It is a 30MPH speed zone. I never saw the buck before it was too late, I broke his back leg. We had to call a police officer to come put him down. It may be the only time I ever see a buck lying about 10 feet from a sidewalk with people walking around!!!!! It's amazing to see nice bucks in such populated area.

I work in Ithaca, and have been told alot about this Buck, they said he was a 17 point. We lives in Cayuga Heights on the Cornell Golf Course. I also heard a rumor that someone shot him but can not confirm this . Also was told that a local B & C Scorer looked at him and was thinking well into the 180's maybe 190's class deer. Also believe it or not, if you can pass the background check and signup early enough there are parts of Cornell that you can hunt. Not sure how close to the golf course you can hunt.I know a few people that hunt Cornell.He has hunted the last few years on property near the city limits on 13A near the Cemetery,  they will give you doe tags. You also have to sign up in advance on what area's you want to hunt and the days. So its not like you can just wake up and say I am going to hunt here today.

I attached a picture of another nice buck in Ithaca, this one was near the Cemetery up by Judd Falls Tops during bow seasons. My friend was up there and took this with his cel phone.Sorry about the crapped picture, he needs a better cel phone. This buck was chasing a doe, and did not even care my friend was there.

post-1344-131455391344_thumb.jpg

Those pics are fom the campus golf course. Its nothing to see 10-15 deer in a backyard in Cayuga Heights. I followed a really big 8pt around the Vet school parking lot one night. The problem, is that Ithaca is populated with birkenstock wearing hippies who would rather trap and sterilize deer than kill them (true- they spay does at the vet school)

Oh, what is a nice calm thread like this one without some ole' curmudgeon trying to add some controversy.  ;D

I have been watching quite a few of these monster urban buck posts and they all have two things in common:

1- They all seem to have a near out-of-control doe population

2- They all have huge .... huge ..... record book bucks.

Does anyone but me see the peculiarity that all the "experts" tell us that in order to have monster bucks, you have to beat the hell out of your doe herd until they are nearly non-existant or until there is something close to a 1:1 gender ratio, and yet with these urban and suburban deer herds all that stuff seems to just go out the window? Is there something unique about deer that dine on azalias, lilacs and rhododendrons? Obviously, the bucks get older in such places as long as they don't get squashed by a truck, car or bus, but where does all this doe super-management come into play when indeed in urban and suburban places there really isn't any management and gender ratios are as whacked out as any wild environment or worse. Truly the places where these bucks are found do not have anything like a 1:1 gender ratio.

Perhaps another question that might go along with the above would be, since urban and suburban poulations are either unhunted or under-hunted, I would think that trends that you see there might actually closely represent what a true gender dispersement might be in an uncontrolled natural state where hunters are not in the picture. How come there still seems to be way more does than bucks. It would appear to me that the natural gender ratio is not anything like 1:1.

I need some help making sense of all that.

Doc