"Rat poison"

wooly

This is only the 3'rd or 4'th Milk snake I've ever found.

He was curled up sunning himself on a rock pile today but he slipped away before I could get a shot.

I sat tight waiting for him to emerge again when I spotted him slithering out the other side of the pile towards a log pile.

I pounced on him and made him my model for a little while. I finally had ALL my camera gear with me for a change so I set up a quick studio and fired away!

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

• Like 14

As always great pics. i think milk snakes are one of the coolest looking snakes.

I was just up in your area doing a job Monday morning on hunters creek and Parker rd while i was out there i stopped at my grandmother's to pick up some propane tanks i lifted up a tarp that was covering up a wood burning stove outside and there were 10-15 Gardner snakes wrapped around the wood burner since the camera on my phone is smashed into pieces i couldn't get any pics.

• Like 1

Amazing pictures again from you wooly! Your pictures are as good or better than any I have seen in magazines. You have a wonderful talent for capturing wildlife on film. Thanks for sharing them with us! And I also agree that you could put more than a little change in your pocket using your talent for capturing critters with a camera.

• Like 2

I appreciate the comments everyone!

I keep looking for ways to improve, and this quick set was just a small step towards that.

The more I look at these pics, the more I think a couple more off camera flashes and triggers may have really made them that much better.

I wish I had lit the bottom of the snake better to show the checkerboard pattern of his underside, and I wish I had another flash behind him to separate him from the background, but I doubt I would have had the time for all that even if I had all the extra gear I wanted with me even if I did have it.

I don't know if his size shows well in this set either, but he was every bit of 42" if not longer.... hell, he may have been a slender 48"er for all I know but I didn't put a tape to him. Some of the other shots I snapped really show it better, but I wasn't crazy about them.

I like big snakes because they seem to tire out faster and stand their ground more than those speedy little guys that slip away and never quit trying to escape so it makes it easier t photograph them

I know my pictures aren't perfect, but like ants.... once apon a time my pictures REALLY sucked even to me. There's just something about photography that has always been addictive to me no matter how good or bad I've been at it! Getting close to the critters has always been the funnest part for me. :D

• Like 3