Ouch! someone made a boo boo....

growalot

The DEC yet again, underestimated NYS hunters disdain for change...they EXPECTED a 2-4 million dollar drop in sales after all that restructuring..you know the one that ticked a bunch of people off...what they got was a 7 million dollar drop.....Hhhhhmmmm

I tried article too new or I'm not searching right...July 10th paper front page and pg.21

Head line: License sales Plummet despite reduction in fee,s sales take a big dip.

Dates Aug 2013 to June 10th 2015 = 7 mil drop

Edited by growalot

I tried article too new or I'm not searching right...July 10th paper front page and pg.21

Head line: License sales Plummet despite reduction in fee,s sales take a big dip.

Dates Aug 2013 to June 10th 2015 = 7 mil drop

That does sound familiar.

By me hunter numbers have dropped considerably, as have "farm tagged deer "numbers risen. I think people have had enough of paying and getting more and more restricted. The media on deer hunting is almost non existant in ny, so nothing is seen for monies put into the system, oh wait we get a random s.w.a.g. on deer numbers and take by dec.... that may or may not be put in your local paper (if you even get a paper. Face it the general populous is completly in the dark about game and wildlife management.

Did they say how many licenses were sold? Did that number drop or was it just revenue? Remember, they slashed prices for out of state hunters, and made it a little harder for people to understand what they were buying, so you could have just had a bunch of people only buying low priced licenses instead of spending the extra and just getting the super sportsman or something like that. Just throwing one number out there doesnt tell the entire tale.

• Like 1

Fishing, too.

Most people usually bought the combo that included it.

But, only a small fraction of people ice fish or fish late fall, so I suspect a portion of the revenue "drop" is actually more of delayed revenue as anglers buy their fishing licenses separately and in the Spring, now. It's akin to changing how a business recognizes revenue (cash to accrual) and its impact on the financials. I wasn't sure if I was getting out to ice fish this winter, so I didn't buy my fishing license until springtime. That's 6 mos (and a calendar year later)....that impacts revenue claims.

• Like 2

Few years back there was a big surge in Lifetime License sales, of course that would reduce yearly sales.

that's a great point

Can someone be more specific here?  This is a drop in license sales only?   And a drop over one year or several??  Please post links if you have them.

it shouldn't be discounted either that if you excluded the city which is generally not full of hunters, the state population has been declining. As people leave, there are less people to buy licenses.

• Like 1

Posted Today, 07:27 AM

WNYBH...THat's were the someone made a boo boo comment arms from..just what you mentioned.

I wrote and actually corrected twice on the Kindle...I see the Kindle didn't want it corrected..

So:

That's where the "Someone made a boo boo " comment came from.......... :rolleyes:

I know hunter numbers have been dropping drastically in the Catskill region of the state compared to what it was 20 or more years ago.   And this is an area that had the NYC/LI hunters, and their numbers were not insignificant.  Look at it this way, hunters now have antler restriction rules they have to abide by, plus doe tags have not been easy to get in quite a few units in the Catskills, so what reasons do these hunters have to make a 2 or 3 hour drive upstate to go hunting when there isn't much they can legally shoot? It's a no brainer for a lot of hunters, quite honestly.  And yeah, you can shoot a doe with a bow, but we all know that bowhunters are not the what makes up the brunt of hunting license sales.  It's the gun hunters, and I would not doubt that revenue from license sales has been taking a huge hit in recent years.

steve863 You are right about the drop of hunters from LI / NYC as it was 20 years ago.  but there are a number of reasons, The amount of industry jobs on LI are almost all gone, No work + no people, Many of the hunters from then are no longer alive or have moved down south ( not me I moved to the Catskills ) after I retired. Hunting areas that you could hunt are now posted or out of limites . As the 10 mile river Boy Scout Camp, It was a great place to hunt with hunters from NY, PA, CO and other states. They said The Boy Scouts of America could not afford to keep it open for hunting anymore, Hmmmm. And how many businesses around it lost a good amount of money forever. And this is just one of the areas that the people from down state were willing to drive 3+ hours to hunt that are no longer there with places to sleep, wash and eat before and after a days hunt.

yep, what State, that unless you have private land and the time to hunt trophy deer, generates new or keeps older hunters? I know a handful of older guys who retired and moved out of state, but always came back for a week or two for deer hunting, who stopped doing so after antler restrictions and the impossible chance of drawing a doe tag as a non resident........

Edited by jjb4900

People who 'might hunt' and 'might buy hunting licenses' are leaving the state. Only the government could be surprised that hunting license revenue would be down.

Create an environment where gun-owners are essentially demonized, make it illegal to hunt with other weapons except in certain circumstances, and then complain because no one is buying hunting licenses? What color is the sky in their world?

People who 'might hunt' and 'might buy hunting licenses' are leaving the state. Only the government could be surprised that hunting license revenue would be down.

Create an environment where gun-owners are essentially demonized, make it illegal to hunt with other weapons except in certain circumstances, and then complain because no one is buying hunting licenses? What color is the sky in their world?

Amen. The governor went on record to say our kind isn't welcome in NY. Nobody should be surprised at the numbers.

I'll add that land access is our biggest challenge and I'm not sure there's a good way to solve it.

• Like 1