Suburban Deer

Five Seasons

Oxford, MS where I live has a suburban archery program. You sign up, take a written and accuracy test and are assigned some land that an owner has asked to be hunted. Essentially you have to take 3 doe before you can shoot a buck and have to follow some basic rules. I assume the conditions will be similar to the show Chasing Tail that was on history without being as extreme. I'm thinking of doing it to help fill the freezer... and because I've seen some nice bucks early morning in my backyard. I live in the burbs but have an acre and it's not uncommon to have 5 to 10 deer in my front or back yard... sometimes eating my fruit trees. These shots were a few days ago. Kind of a cool experience for my boy to see them so close.

Would you sign up?

Edited by Belo
  • Like 5

My family.home in lancaster is loaded with deer but all private small acreages, I allowed 2 friends to hunt with bow with agreement they shoot doe first. 1 had taken 5 doe in 3 years and a nice 130 Inch buck a few minutes after filling a doe tag. The other has shot only buck for 2 years and no longer hunts there. The deer eat the shrubs around the house and the trees in the orchard. The successful doe hunting friend even hunt gun season with bow on the small 5 acre piece. Its.close to his house and he very appreciative.

If you ever get a place to hunt in the suburbs do what the owner requests. It opens up more property as 2 of the neighbors. Now let him hunt their 5 acres as well, e even spends the extra $ to buy more doe tags as they are always available.

• Like 1

Would you sign up?

If I had no other hunting opportunities, perhaps I would consider it. I watched that program on TV about the urban/suburban bowhunters (Chasing Tail), and frankly, they got involved in some rather ugly problems that I would just as soon not be confronted with. Plus, that sort of "public" hunting lacks a lot of the necessary ingredients of any hunts that I would like to be a part of. Atmosphere, nature, solitude, and all those things of that sort, are essential to the quality of the hunt ..... for me. It's a personal view of hunting that I am not trying to talk anyone into or promote. It's just the way I look at the activity and what I personally need to enjoy it.

I will say that it is fortunate for city dwellers that all hunters don't have my attitude toward hunting and the environment that I personally choose in order to enjoy the experience. And I have to admit that it is a good way to fill the freezer. I personally would never try to discourage anyone from that kind of hunt. I believe that it satisfies a need and handles a very difficult management problem for urban/suburban dwellers, and thank heavens there are those that will do it. It just isn't for me.

• Like 2

If I had no other hunting opportunities, perhaps I would consider it. I watched that program on TV about the urban/suburban bowhunters (Chasing Tail), and frankly, they got involved in some rather ugly problems that I would just as soon not be confronted with. Plus, that sort of "public" hunting lacks a lot of the necessary ingredients of any hunts that I would like to be a part of. Atmosphere, nature, solitude, and all those things of that sort, are essential to the quality of the hunt ..... for me. It's a personal view of hunting that I am not trying to talk anyone into or promote. It's just the way I look at the activity and what I personally need to enjoy it.

I will say that it is fortunate for city dwellers that all hunters don't have my attitude toward hunting and the environment that I personally choose in order to enjoy the experience. And I have to admit that it is a good way to fill the freezer. I personally would never try to discourage anyone from that kind of hunt. I believe that it satisfies a need and handles a very difficult management problem for urban/suburban dwellers, and thank heavens there are those that will do it. It just isn't for me.

we are cut from the same cloth doc. I may give it a whirl to fill the freezer, but that's about it.

It's well within city limits ,those deer are protected from everything except the front end of a car. The crazy thing is these bucks carry their head gear until April which make the growth rate unbelievable.

Edited by Jeremy K

Jeremy is that in tonawanda along the canal?

I have a suburban spot that I like to hunt if I get out of work early its a 20 Minute drive from work and 28 Minutes from my house I can go there and some times see 20 plus doe in an evening sit. I only do a few afternoons each year I can throw a baseball from my stand to the 400.

Its loaded with doe ive honestly never seen a buckwhile on stand in there but 2 years ago I found a nice 120" plus in this spot its about 10 acres surrounded by houses and the 400 its a great sit for sitting or spot and stalking. Its put near in the freezer each of the past 3 years with only a few sits each season.

Edited by Red

Not sure if they still do it but Irondequoit had a program they started a few years ago . They had been paying out several thousands of dollars for off duty police to do a Bait and Shoot . Then they allowed Bow Hunters that passed a shooting test / qualifier to hunt specific areas and there were restrictions as to where and how they could shoot the deer . Anyway , it was a money saver for the town .

Jeremy is that in tonawanda along the canal?

I have a suburban spot that I like to hunt if I get out of work early its a 20 Minute drive from work and 28 Minutes from my house I can go there and some times see 20 plus doe in an evening sit. I only do a few afternoons each year I can throw a baseball from my stand to the 400.

Its loaded with doe ive honestly never seen a buckwhile on stand in there but 2 years ago I found a nice 120" plus in this spot its about 10 acres surrounded by houses and the 400 its a great sit for sitting or spot and stalking. Its put near in the freezer each of the past 3 years with only a few sits each season.

Its in North Tonawanda,it isn't very far from the canal but not much in NT is from from the canal . 

• Like 1

here's the link with the pdf's available for download if any of you are curious. makes me wonder if we should do more of this on the island and some of our cities in NY.

http://www.oxfordms.net/living-here/deer-management

it would be great if programs like this existed in the areas you mentioned...instead they resorted to contraception and sherpshooters........that's why I say take full advantage and be grateful they see the important rolls that hunters can play in deer control in suburban areas.

• Like 1

My family.home in lancaster is loaded with deer but all private small acreages, I allowed 2 friends to hunt with bow with agreement they shoot doe first. 1 had taken 5 doe in 3 years and a nice 130 Inch buck a few minutes after filling a doe tag. The other has shot only buck for 2 years and no longer hunts there. The deer eat the shrubs around the house and the trees in the orchard. The successful doe hunting friend even hunt gun season with bow on the small 5 acre piece. Its.close to his house and he very appreciative.

If you ever get a place to hunt in the suburbs do what the owner requests. It opens up more property as 2 of the neighbors. Now let him hunt their 5 acres as well, e even spends the extra $ to buy more doe tags as they are always available.

now this is doing their part.  perfect setup.  never know when a giant will come running through with a handful of doe.  within some inner circles of hunters who hunt burbs word travels of big bucks but sometimes they just aren't talked about.  just another deer eating landscaping or a garden.  spots that produce deer will continue to do so if hunted correctly.