Does only for the first 2 weeks. Thoughts?

NonTypical

So the new regs state that it is anterless only thru Oct 15 for LI. I personally try to harvest my share of does during the season, but to hunt during with first 2 weeks with the heat and bugs and to have to pass on a nice buck I'll be focusing my attention to other activities this year for the early season. There will be plenty of time to harvest does for me later in the year.

Edited by NonTypical

this was not brought on by the dec it was a result of passing does and having unfilled tags at the end of the season kill the does do your part and this will go away

Don't kid yourself. The DEC has declared war on bowhunting. It is not just L.I. that this is happening.

• Like 2

Sure getting complicated out there when it comes to deer hunting....maps of lightly shaded areas...dark shaded areas...diagonal lines going every which way...Shaded diagonal lines....yellow, green purple...southern zone...northern zones. It would help when DEC demands that all hunters report in on their season of hunting, be it successful or tag soup, and get a handle on things. If no report  from the hunter, no tag(s) for the following season.

I can more readily accept re-drawn boundaries for hunting this or that and at what time frame, when accurate info is provided. Goes for turkey too. I'm waiting for open season on drones....

• Like 2

I'm all for shooting does, and I do take my share of them later in the season when the temps drop. For me, the risk outweighs the prize of being in he woods in early Oct to shoot a doe. The first week of the season is a great time to harvest a buck. That is the only reason that I will put up with the heat, ticks, mosquitos, and gnats. I will now start around Halloween for bucks and Dec and Jan to harvest as many does as possible. At least then I won't have to be in a hurry to butcher them, unlike I would with the warm temps that we have in Oct.

• Like 4

this was not brought on by the dec it was a result of passing does and having unfilled tags at the end of the season kill the does do your part and this will go away

This in no way is going to encourage hunters to "Do their part"...in fact its going to put less hunters in the field during the early season chasing does  and MORE hunters during the antlered period chasing the same bucks....

What they should have done especially on L.I. is that you would have had to kill 2 does before you recieve a buck tag..that would have equaled more hunter participation and more does taken out of the population.

Plus on the managed lands we need to be allowed to get into the woods earlier and stay out later during prime times...and of course not allowing crossbows is just rediculous...Its THE most logical deer trimming tool for the Island..

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN
  • Like 3

I'm all for shooting does, and I do take my share of them later in the season when the temps drop. For me, the risk outweighs the prize of being in he woods in early Oct to shoot a doe. The first week of the season is a great time to harvest a buck. That is the only reason that I will put up with the heat, ticks, mosquitos, and gnats. I will now start around Halloween for bucks and Dec and Jan to harvest as many does as possible. At least then I won't have to be in a hurry to butcher them, unlike I would with the warm temps that we have in Oct.

Yes, let's quietly give back the two weeks we worked so hard for. Don't really have much choice on that anyway. The DEC is in the driver's seat and has gone rogue.....lol.

...and of course not allowing crossbows is just rediculous...Its THE most logical deer trimming tool for the Island..

That was a purely political decision. The way I heard it, the local state rep would only support the change to allow x-bows in NY if LI was excluded.

There is much opposition to hunting on LI. Lot's of "don't kill Bambi" types, and many live near hunting areas. They think spending thousands on "specialized sniper teams" is a better solution to population control than allowing hunting... while also feeding the deer in their yards.

I heard that DEC was considering Connetquot for deer hunting... the locals are up set to fight it tooth and nail. (It doesn't help that the DEC was having closed and invitation only meetings on the topic, trying to exclude people from the decision making process).

So many people on LI, so many different opinions and so little quality information distributed.

• Like 1

This in no way is going to encourage hunters to "Do their part"...in fact its going to put less hunters in the field during the early season chasing does and MORE hunters during the antlered period chasing the same bucks....

What they should have done especially on L.I. is that you would have had to kill 2 does before you recieve a buck tag..that would have equaled more hunter participation and more does taken out of the population.

Plus on the managed lands we need to be allowed to get into the woods earlier and stay out later during prime times...and of course not allowing crossbows is just rediculous...Its THE most logical deer trimming tool for the Island..

I agree with this 100%. It still baffles me as to why they eliminated the bonus buck tags if you harvested a doe. I know many hunters who were encouraged to harvest does so that they could potentionaly harvest another buck.

Plus if anyone bothers to participate in the early season and shoot a few does all that's going to do is give the bucks 2 weeks worth of human scent / gut piles on the ground and put them on alert and make it even harder to take a nice buck on DEC property.

Plus if anyone bothers to participate in the early season and shoot a few does all that's going to do is give the bucks 2 weeks worth of human scent / gut piles on the ground and put them on alert and make it even harder to take a nice buck on DEC property.

you beat me to it..........the DEC properties will be so beat up by the 15th that the bucks will be on high alert.

Where do you get ppl shooting a few doe the first two weeks?...WE DO NOT HAVE THE TAGS! 2 tags from the get go and many like I split them that leaves me 1 doe tag ..because I'm certainly not burning my either or tag on a doe the first 2 wks. You are not allowed to use your reg buck tag in bow season and NOW your not allowed to use it in ML season either in these areas.

We do not get any extra doe tags until NOV 1.....

Where do you get ppl shooting a few doe the first two weeks?...WE DO NOT HAVE THE TAGS! 2 tags from the get go and many like I split them that leaves me 1 doe tag ..because I'm certainly not burning my either or tag on a doe the first 2 wks. You are not allowed to use your reg buck tag in bow season and NOW your not allowed to use it in ML season either in these areas.

on L.I. you get a bonus dmp with every antlerless deer you check in........we can use all our tags during bow season, because that is considered our "regular" season.

Edited by jjb4900

I must say that even though the doe only doesn't affect the areas I hunt... the DEC pulled this one out of left field somewhere... no explanation, no justification, no rhyme or reason, not even any input taken from hunters... they basically blind sided everyone... that doesn't make a lot of sense no matter if it affects you or not... a poor decision in my opinion. Well, unless their objective was to piss off a lot of hunters.

• Like 1

I don't know what to think anymore about the decisions the DEC makes, but this one doesn't make a lot of sense because bow hunters don't take that many doe to begin with. In the areas set aside for doe only for the first two weeks I'm not so sure hunters can harvest enough doe during all seasons combined due to the fact that a lot of the land is posted, private and ideal deer sanctuaries. If the DEC is issuing a lot of doe tags and they just aren't being filled then I don't know what the solution is in those areas, but limiting a paying archery hunter to a doe only situation will tend to turn off the majority.

unlimited Antlerless tags down here on the sand bar. We fill tags as fast as we get them.

post-471-0-49659300-1438821898_thumb.jpg

I don't know what the logic is behind this. It is very rare that I get to the cabin in early October to hunt. Of course this does not come into play in 8P. There was a post about why you deer hunt. Just being in the woods is great, so much for killing a buck until the two weeks are over for some of you guys. There is no logic here in the decision and I would just move on until you are really poked in the eye! lol

... they basically blind sided everyone...

Ha-ha-ha .... just another page lifted out of the Cuomo Book of Dirty Tricks. Page 846: " Don't give them a chance to respond". That goes along with the other page in that same chapter of the Cuomo Book of Dirty Tricks that says, "Never mind all the fuss and furor, they all have a short attention span and will forget about it very quickly". They've learned well from their political leader. And why not, he appoints their Commissioner.

• Like 4

I don't know what to think anymore about the decisions the DEC makes, but this one doesn't make a lot of sense because bow hunters don't take that many doe to begin with. In the areas set aside for doe only for the first two weeks I'm not so sure hunters can harvest enough doe during all seasons combined due to the fact that a lot of the land is posted, private and ideal deer sanctuaries. If the DEC is issuing a lot of doe tags and they just aren't being filled then I don't know what the solution is in those areas, but limiting a paying archery hunter to a doe only situation will tend to turn off the majority.

They chose the least productive weapon to pull this with. Would have made more sense the first week in gun. I see the opposite result taking place. I believe the doe take in these areas will go down as a result of this because guys will spend the time in other WMU's. They should have thrown in a two week gun in the middle of September in these areas and that would have resulted in a much higher take. What on earth is so wrong in expanding opportunity and not reducing it.

• Like 1

They chose the least productive weapon to pull this with. Would have made more sense the first week in gun. I see the opposite result taking place. I believe the doe take in these areas will go down as a result of this because guys will spend the time in other WMU's. They should have thrown in a two week gun in the middle of September in these areas and that would have resulted in a much higher take. What on earth is so wrong in expanding opportunity and not reducing it.

Maybe a January Doe Hunt. A lot of states use this as an option when numbers get to high. In Michigan, there isn't a always January Doe Hunt, but they have that option when needed. Of course, they also have in their constitution that the Natural Resource Commission has all authority when determining on how to manage wildlife.

Edited by CFHunter

Maybe a January Doe Hunt. A lot of states use this as an option when numbers get to high. In Michigan, there isn't a always January Doe Hunt, but they have that option when needed. Of course, they also have in their constitution that the Natural Resource Commission has all authority when determining on how to manage wildlife.

I am not as big a fan of the January doe hunt compared to earlier. There is always a risk that a buck could have his head gear off at that point. Would be easier for meat care though.

• Like 1

Funny thing is they did have a public comment period, myself and the people I hunt with did not respond favorably. I can't imagine that anyone did after reading this thread, yet they went along with the change anyway. Do they really think guys and gals are going out in 15 degree snow banks during late muzzleloader just to watch a weary buck walk on by after hunting hard all season? The Bucks help to get people out and they might still shoot a doe if one comes by, but take the bucks out of the equation and there is less reason to be out. This seems like a dismal failure already.

I have no problem shooting doe, I'd shoot a doe on opening day regardless, but if a buck walks by later on.....I'd be shooting less deer, not more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jmythngdmb
  • Like 2