LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

No one told me it was going to rain this mornings in 3s. Not a lot but enough to make me damp and cold. Heard some crunching before first light . Ever since, nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 3n and would be happy with some crunching. Not a thing in 3 sits. A ghost town again so far

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Woke at 1:39 out of the blue...never went back to sleep until after 4am...So have fun out there guys ;)

I would have tagged out weeks ago if I was looking to shoot fawn...but you can't kill deer that don't move until  dark or the area your not in....watched a buck come out at 5:39 yesterday nose down past the opposite end of lane way stand..then he popped back out and headed my way nose down ...stopping to eat once in a while...by that time I was already coming down the ladder and heading out... This weeks high 60's/low 70's will be a planting trees and last clearing on trails mid day. I definately will be clearing that swamp stand...for I know exactly where they are spending their days....

by then just perhaps the wind will start to behave :rolleyes:

PS..... checked records...buck takes are Nov 3 on ....So I'm not worried yet

Edited by growalot

headed in this morning put a drag out and a little estrous in a fresh scrape and sat maybe 60 yards from it see a set of legs but couldn't see anything else head out and there's a new scrape 20 yards from my car which means he snuck 10 yards behind me without making a peep cuz there's only one route in and out and I was 200 yards from my car, moved my climber this morning and sitting in my new set this afternoon

What a morning ! So fricken close. I feel a little ill.

Here's what happened:

Alarm goes off, I hear the wind and rain and decide it is a fool's errand to be out in that crap. Then I remember I have a busy week and am out of town next weekend for hunting camp. This will be the last morning for a while, that I can hunt locally. I slowly get my act together and decide to do the short drive to my neighbors. No one hunt's the area but I have only sat one evening there so far. I did not get any trail cam pics, pre-season and scouting revealed zero fresh rubs. The land is quite swampy too. I figured a hard winter and not much to eat may have done in the larger bucks.

However, a couple of days ago I found a line of fresh and aggressive looking scrapes. For a change of scene, and just to see what if, I hit the stand I moved yesterday over a scrape. The stand is set-up for a shot, 20 yards to my left. I don't really have any shot on my right side due to the pine tree I am up inside for cover.

Expectations were low, I had started to wander in my thoughts. I was lucky enough to be standing, facing back toward the expected direction of travel. I am literally miles away in thought, but I see movement toward my left side, the wrong side of the stand. Something is coming in fast from about 60 yards off. I see bone, lots of nice bone. This guy looks a shooter. At first he seems to be heading to my right side, the side totally covered by pine tree branches. I maybe have a small window if he passes at 15 yards. He starts to zigzag and each zag pulls him more and more in my direction. I am hoping and praying he is going to peel off and head toward the scrape.

Nope, he has somewhere else to be and before I know it he is 10 yards under me, behind me and behind a thick Cherry tree.He stops, looks right up at me, through the pine branches. He knows something is off and doubles back and quickly heads away from me. 

I try calling, he stops but he is wary and has no desire to check me out. He is gone and out of sight in a couple of minutes. He really wanted to get past me so I figure he may try a long circular double back move and come by further off to my right. The stand is blown, I know that , so I jump down and head toward where he came from, a thick stand of hemlocks. As I approach, another Buck comes out of the exact same spot! A four point this time, not on the menu. I hide behind a tree. He too starts coming right at me. I am annoyed at the time delay this will cause. He eventually heads away and I get in position. All the while I am scanning for a new tree. This area is obviously a corridor for bucks and I need to be on it. I give it an hour. No more action. The 4 pointer is still around though, and he doesn't seem that bothered by me as I head back to the stand, following the trail left by the bigger 8 earlier, I realize I have put my stand in one of his corridors. There is large, fresh poops right next to me. My stand placement was literally too good, too close. I will be moving the stand this afternoon in anticipation of hunting this new spot later, where the Bucks are moving in and out of.

A very frustrating morning, but lots of fun none the less. That is probably the best Buck action I have had so far. Actually had eyes on a shooter right under my stand! I may have pics from the camera I put over the scrape. Checking now.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 3

sitting in the climber I moved this morning over an aggressive scrape line one of which I kno was hit last night and another one which was made this morning when he snuck behind me at 10 yards completely silent, hoping to ambush him this afternoon when he least expects it

25-35 MPH wind is not helping at all. The morning hunt was bad between the wind and rain, didn't see anything. At least now it's sunny but sure would be nice if they wind would die down a little bit. This whole week is looking bad here, temps around 70 and wind just about every day...

Nada this morning , more of a hunt n scout with this insane wind n rain in a spot that I believe is part of the crab claw 10's area for cruisin, couple scrapes no rubs, no deer, back in his core area tonight.... Two more nasty rubs and a fresh scrape which I think I hope I figured out his entry/exit through the swamp ....

• Like 3

I took this old fighter on Halloween. He came in after hearing a few bleats with the can. The shot hit its mark and he only went 30 yards and fell over. I guess my aluminum arrows and 100gr Thunderheads can still do it even at 35 yds. This buck was a real fighter as he has scars all over his face. His left eye was even swollen almost all of the way shut from a recent brawl. I haven't had him aged yet, but I believe he's and old timer and was in decline. He has unbelievable mass on the bases and main beams. His face and head are very gray, and he's missing quite a few teeth in the front of his mouth. Any thoughts or guesses on his age?

post-4978-0-84026900-1446417087_thumb.jp

post-4978-0-80673600-1446417114_thumb.jp

post-4978-0-26104600-1446417130_thumb.jp

post-4978-0-62444400-1446417143_thumb.jp

• Like 12