What Do You Think Your Effective Range Is?

DirtTime

Practice more then and maybe you will. Anyone who's capable of shooting those ranges has shot more arrows than you in 2 months than you have in 4 years. It's all about practice. Would you expect to go out and win the Daytona 500 next weekend just because you know how to drive a car?

No need to make assumptions, we all know what that secretly means. Maybe we need to redefine "effective range." I believe it to mean having the up most probability to kill a deer in a certain range where the probability doesn't alter at different yardages within that range. Sorry WNY, but 80 yards as an effective range is absurd

It's not really much of a assumption. More like high probability of truth. I can pretty much garuntee anyone shooting that far has thoroughly slung enough arrows to make it happen in the stand. Unless your just a total jack wagon hail marrying arrows around the woods and if that's the case you don't deserve to be hunting.

Anytime you release an arrow no matter the range there's a huge risk of missing or wounding. If hunting was such a sure thing no one would be doing it because it would be no different than just going to the store to buy your meat. That's why they say "it's called hunting, not killing".

• Like 1

It's not really much of a assumption. More like high probability of truth. I can pretty much garuntee anyone shooting that far has thoroughly slung enough arrows to make it happen in the stand. Unless your just a total jack wagon hail marrying arrows around the woods and if that's the case you don't deserve to be hunting.

Anytime you release an arrow no matter the range there's a huge risk of missing or wounding. If hunting was such a sure thing no one would be doing it because it would be no different than just going to the store to buy your meat. That's why they say "it's called hunting, not killing".

Wow. Just wow...

I think effective distance is relative to the person... I personally think 30 and 40 yards is absurd, but that's just for me. I'm a 20 yard and in guy. Today's technology in compound bows is remarkable and I don't doubt that 60, 80 or even 100 yards can be achieved on a regular basis with lots of practice given faster bows, improved sights, arrow rests, broadheads etc. Us trad guys tend to stay a little more up close and personal.

• Like 1

I think I might have posted this before. You can shoot 99 out of 100 arrows in the kill zone when practicing, but if the first arrow is always the miss arrow you shouldn't be shooting at an animal at that distance. The first one is the one that counts... and usually the only one you get!

• Like 1

The deer in my avatar was arrowed at 55 yards. He still doesn't know what hit him.

There's too many intangibles that go into someone's effective range, which can vary based upon the setting and animal as much as the skill and will. The problem is too many people try to quantify this topic to back ethics or vice versa, and it's really pointless because any generalization, personal experience, etc. is really only applicable to that person.

If you believe you can make the shot, then that is an effective range, in my book. And, as an archer, you know whether you can make that shot or not. We all know the thought process that goes on when pulling a bow back on an animal.

• Like 6

That's because they suck and can barely hit a paper plate at 20!  No offense and I am not saying this is you but many of the traditional shooters basically suck.  Sorry so blunt but most traditional shooters I have seen are pretty bad shots and 20 yards is like me shooting 75.  But I would beat 90% of them at 75 and them at 20 yards.  So are they unethical?  I guess they should give up bow, lol.  NOT!  If I went by this post 95% of them would have to quit because they are unethical and wound many deer.

I think effective distance is relative to the person... I personally think 30 and 40 yards is absurd, but that's just for me. I'm a 20 yard and in guy. Today's technology in compound bows is remarkable and I don't doubt that 60, 80 or even 100 yards can be achieved on a regular basis with lots of practice given faster bows, improved sights, arrow rests, broadheads etc. Us trad guys tend to stay a little more up close and personal.

What's your next furthest shot on a buck hanging on your wall with a bow if you don't mind me asking

Trying to go off of memory here...25, 15, 35, 55, 32, 37, 15, 42, 20, 25, and 10. I know there are a few more that are escaping me under 20 yards.

Good bucks I've missed with a bow for whatever reason...7, 30, 36 (just thinking about these makes them sting...)

How about you? Nothing wrong with being a 20 and in guy. I prefer shots right at 20-25 personally, but also know that I am kidding myself if I want to wait for the perfect shot, that that will happen.

• Like 1

That's because they suck and can barely hit a paper plate at 20!  No offense and I am not saying this is you but many of the traditional shooters basically suck.  Sorry so blunt but most traditional shooters I have seen are pretty bad shots and 20 yards is like me shooting 75.  But I would beat 90% of them at 75 and them at 20 yards.  So are they unethical?  I guess they should give up bow, lol.  NOT!  If I went by this post 95% of them would have to quit because they are unethical and wound many deer.

LOL... You must not know many trad shooters... most of the guys I shoot 3D with are unbelievable.. many score in the high 250's up to 25 yards... and kill just as many deer if not more than most bowhunters I know. We can shoot out past 20 yards acurrately, but because of the bow speeds the trajectory of the arrows at greater distances leave too much room for error... and a man has to know his limitations. If you take your sights off your compound I'll shoot with you at 20 yards all day... not to say that there aren't some trad shooters that suck, but the same can be said about some compound shooters.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 3

272 is my best. I regularly shoot 260s but we will see if it holds up on deer. Lol.

Nyantler is 100 percent correct. Arrow drop is huge from 20-40yds by comparison to a compound. Like 6" from 20-25. Limits distance for me as judging minor differences in distance is critical and unless I mark 25-30-35, it's tough to do.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

272 is my best. I regularly shoot 260s but we will see if it holds up on deer. Lol.

Nyantler is 100 percent correct. Arrow drop is huge from 20-40yds by comparison to a compound. Like 6" from 20-25. Limits distance for me as judging minor differences in distance is critical and unless I mark 25-30-35, it's tough to do.

Best shoot I ever did was a novelty shoot.. 30 targets, all trad bows, every target was 50 yards to 100 yards. Needless to say I brought lots of arrows. I don't remember ever having as much fun shooting as I did that day. After the shoot they had other novelty competitions as well. 100 yard shoot on an elk target with a 1" orange dot placed in the kill zone. Buck a shot, one arrow, closest to the dot wins. A 5 yard floating ping pong ball... had to pierce the ball with the arrow... just knocking off the ball from the air flow didn't count. Then a 1/2 steel deer target at 10 yards with a 6" hole in the target... had to put the arrow through the hole.. missing meant a busted arrow... put some stress on things..LOL We also did flu-flus at 10" foam discs with 4" removable centers just like shooting trap... what a fun day!

• Like 1

What I am pointing out is that there is a much greater risk in a bad outcome due to circumstances out of the hunter's control at long ranges.  Its up to the hunter to decide what level of risk they are comfortable with. 

That kind of says it all. It doesn't matter what kind of super archery equipment you are using or how well you can use it, that statement always remains true and never changes.

• Like 3

I shoot all the time from 10 yards to 50 yards and do very well on 3D's and cardboard targets. But in the woods I keep all my shots to 25 yards and under, why, I am now to old for tree stands and on the ground most times there is a lot of wood in the way of the arrow, so I say pick a spot and keep your shots close.

Edited by sweet old bill

moog5050, on 28 Sept 2015 - 1:58 PM, said:snapback.png

What I am pointing out is that there is a much greater risk in a bad outcome due to circumstances out of the hunter's control at long ranges.  Its up to the hunter to decide what level of risk they are comfortable with.

That kind of says it all. It doesn't matter what kind of super archery equipment you are using or how well you can use it, that statement always remains true and never changes.

Just asking not being a jerk

what is the limit what is considered long range? 

moog5050, on 28 Sept 2015 - 1:58 PM, said:snapback.png

Just asking not being a jerk

what is the limit what is considered long range? 

For years everything was based on 20 yards... even to the extent that many bow hunters had only a twenty yard pin set on their bow and adjusted their pin placement based on the shot yardage + or - ... as the bows became faster and faster that went by the wayside. What was long range years ago isn't the same today. What that range is depends on many factors.. so , there is no right answer... it is relative to each hunter, his equipment and his ability.

• Like 3

Adkhunter, now do you understand what I was saying a few days ago? This is what comes of the effective range discussion.

If you are going to claim that you make 90 yard shots with a bow on a hunting forum, right or wrong, you are going to get some "blowback" from other hunters. Most people consider 40 yards far (as shown by responses). 90 is double that! Which is why when you initially stated it, so matter of factly, on that other thread, I responded with some sarcasm

On a 90 yard shot, how do you see the impact of the shot well enough to determine whether its double lung, lung liver, gut liver, gut, shoulder? Say the arrow stays in deer, how hard is it to see what kind of penetration you got? I ask these questions because you'll need to determine how long to wait until you start to track.

my point is that, at that kind of yardage, the variables that go into recovering a deer become more difficult. It's not strictly about "making the shot".

Adkhunter, now do you understand what I was saying a few days ago? This is what comes of the effective range discussion.

If you are going to claim that you make 90 yard shots with a bow on a hunting forum, right or wrong, you are going to get some "blowback" from other hunters. Most people consider 40 yards far (as shown by responses). 90 is double that! Which is why when you initially stated it, so matter of factly, on that other thread, I responded with some sarcasm

On a 90 yard shot, how do you see the impact of the shot well enough to determine whether its double lung, lung liver, gut liver, gut, shoulder? Say the arrow stays in deer, how hard is it to see what kind of penetration you got? I ask these questions because you'll need to determine how long to wait until you start to track.

my point is that, at that kind of yardage, the variables that go into recovering a deer become more difficult. It's not strictly about "making the shot".

Have you hunted out west?

I haven't, but everyone I know who lives there or hunts there on a regular basis has a much different view on shooting range than us east coasters do. Heck, even the Midwest bowhunters shooting whitetails do.

Edited by phade

What that range is depends on many factors.. so , there is no right answer... it is relative to each hunter, his equipment and his ability.

That is my answer also

since I have been hunting with a bow (Roughly 1992-1993) I started out with a cheap Martin Black Panther & bow shop set me up with a 4 pin site told me I was good to 40 yards. With that bow I didn't like to shoot past 20

The arc of the arrow was amazing even at 30 yards almost looked like it was going straight up. with the set up I have now & shooting everyday 365 days a year out to 70yards consistently (few times a week I push 80yards)  I am confident in my equipment & myself to take a 50 yard shot

Have you hunted out west?

I haven't, but everyone I know who lives there or hunts there on a regular basis has a much different view on shooting range than us east coasters do. Heck, even the Midwest bowhunters shooting whitetails do.

and I'm willing to bet that if they had to hunt in the wooded areas that we do out East, their opinions on long range shooting would change dramatically............I think a  lot of western hunts are spot and stalk, limiting yourself to 20 yards would be a huge handicap, but I've never hunted out there so could be totally wrong.