First real cold front of season

First-light

Just happens to be that my 1 bow weekend this season will this coming weekend. Just happens to be the first real cold front of the season.

Forecast is for mid 40's during the day and low 30's with possible snow showers at night. Talking with my brother in-law he said the first real cold days of bow season can bring some great hunting. Deer will be very active and it will pump up the bucks. I have seen this in the past a few times early October when the temps got down in the 20-30's. Granted being that cold they will move anyway but it just seems to get them really moving being it is the first real cold snap. Anyone else observe this?

FL

• Like 5

Good Luck...If the wind is right I know exactly what stand I'll be in...now I can only hope my two wish list bucks weren't shot already...they seem to be off my cams since the 7th....but I have a few other stands that are good what ever the wind is... Of course I could get lucky at camp this week..fingers crossed

• Like 1

Just happens to be that my 1 bow weekend this season will this coming weekend. Just happens to be the first real cold front of the season.

Forecast is for mid 40's during the day and low 30's with possible snow showers at night. Talking with my brother in-law he said the first real cold days of bow season can bring some great hunting. Deer will be very active and it will pump up the bucks. I have seen this in the past a few times early October when the temps got down in the 20-30's. Granted being that cold they will move anyway but it just seems to get them really moving being it is the first real cold snap. Anyone else observe this?

FL

Yup this weekend will be my first. Headed to camp to hunt the edges of the park. 

definitely, i remember last Oct 18 was the first am that was a cold drop of temps. it was a clear starry sky walking in , bumped 2 large bucks that sounded like clydesdales moving into cover only to have them circle back 2 hours later. no shot opportunity but i remember that morning 

• Like 1

Took the whole weekend off so that i can get a few good sits in.  Should definitely see some action.

I ordered one of those pine ridge archery camera arms last week so hopefully it arrives before friday. would love to try out my new camera and get some footage.

Not only is deer activity more in the cold, but handling the meat is easier after you score.  This coming weekend should be the best ML opener up in the Northern zone in quite a few years.   For a change, I will likely spend more time deer hunting than fishing and grouse hunting, like I have been doing up there on that weekend the last couple years due to "warmth" .  The last thing I want to deal with when the temps are in the 60's or above is a deer carcass.  No trouble with the fish and birds.   The lows in the 20's should also take care of the ticks, which I hear have been horrendous this year so far.

The last thing I needed for the trip was some hand-warmers and my wife just got back from the store with a bunch.   If it rains, I will use my crossbow to "keep my powder dry".  Bring on the cold.      

Edited by wolc123

I think it's important to remember that the stages of the rut haven't really kicked in yet.  despite conditions are great for deer movement I'm still going to hunt carefully and not in my best spots.  there's absolutely a chance to get a good buck but I don't want to burn out my best spots so soon.