2015 Rut Report

Canis Latrans

7f / 7j... Scrapes and rubs increasing. Nocturnal activity still. Some bucks chasing, but ladies still not interested. Saw two doe run away from an area I saw a buck this morning.

Pretty sure they have me patterned. Going to change up where I sit and see what happens.

I just got back from 4P. OK yesterday driving into the woods on the quad and 6 point was walking nose down walking up a hill where it's think and I think a bedding area. He never ran but walked faster as I was getting closer and disappeared. I get to one of ground blind areas to watch for does as I do from August until opening day. No does to see but a 1/2 hour later his brother the 5 point was walking along a rock wall nose to the ground. He never looked up. On my cameras a lot of does moving at night with bucks hanging around them but still eating with the does. Not chasing yet. Today different story the 5 and 6 were hanging with the girls and sticking the noses in funny places. They are about to pop. I am 3 miles from 4.0

• Like 1

3s westchester -Young bucks are ready and aggressive had one chasing a doe around but she wasn't having it. Does aren't ready yet either saw 7 this evening and there was still three yearlings with there mothers. Shot this guy this morning he came in with a broken leg a3be9088e80650ad4b85e7c7b5ac4ae0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3s westchester -Young bucks are ready and aggressive had one chasing a doe around but she wasn't having it. Does aren't ready yet either saw 7 this evening and there was still three yearlings with there mothers. Shot this guy this morning he came in with a broken leg a3be9088e80650ad4b85e7c7b5ac4ae0.jpg

Nice buck. What town of westchester? Haven't seen any chasing in Carmel yet.

Hunterdan44 I have a couple of 5 and 6 points running with the does. They are nudging the does but they don't seem ready. I encountered a 12 today at 9' from me and he never picked up his head. A doe in the pack must be hot enough to roast walnuts on her loins. They are ready to pop ny day.

So far I have seen 4 bucks (5,6,6,12) 3 of them following following does or at least hanging with doe herd waiting for their shot at the prize. I hope they are in full swing on opening day. The good part has been watching them interact and seeing bucks during the day

• Like 1

1C 11/7  I only hear one snort about 50 yards away for the pm sit, about 3 hrs.  My friends had all the action with two hot doe being pushed by 1 and 2 bucks, one was a shooter but he had only a head shot at 40 so it got a pass.  The other hunter we where with shot the doe fawn I was observing my last sit, lol.  It might have dressed at 50 lbs and that is being generous.  He missed a nice 140 class, would have been his biggest to date!  Great action, IF your sitting in the right spot!

Had a great day in two towns in 3G yesterday. 

Millbrook- Had a small 8 come in to my rattling right at first light. Did a loop and then came straight in nose to the ground and wall looking all around. I let him walk. 2 hours later, a doe and doe fawn came in the same trail, again to 20 yds. Tried to bust me but I wouldn't move. Stomped and bobbed heads for 10 minutes then they left. My buddy 300 yds away saw a monster 8 at 80yds but it didn't pay much attention to his rattling. A bit later he had 5 does chasing each other around his stand for 15 minutes. 

Pawling- My 3rd hunt on stateland. Finally saw some action. A small doe worked her way along the oak ridge eating acorns about 90 yds away. She worked her way towards me after 45 minutes and just stopped and stared at me for 15 minutes, she knew something was up. She had me pinned and then I hear crashing in back of me. She she looks toward the sound so I turn around and see a 4pt barreling down the hill towards her. They square off at 15 yes out. He is insistent, keeps sniffing her and she keeps running around. After 10 minutes of that, he basically says "screw it" and puts his nose to the ground and heads off in another direction. The doe stares me down for another 20 minutes until it was pitch black, then she moves on.

Such a great day to be in the woods.

• Like 2

Even a bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work

And can honestly say never had a bad day in woods !!

idk about that. Depends on what industry you're in. If you're a prop trader a good day at work could mean hundreds of thousands + dollars.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

idk about that. Depends on what industry you're in. If you're a prop trader a good day at work could mean hundreds of thousands + dollars.

Love my job but day in woods is still better !!bb8f4982a2d267bb077a6171f7f24346.jpg

Love my job but day in woods is still better !!bb8f4982a2d267bb077a6171f7f24346.jpg

Oh believe me I totally agree. A job is merely a way to get the funds to spend free time outdoors hunting amongst other activities

• Like 1

3m, still no significant rutting activity nor buck sitings since last week's warm weather.  Activity definitely picked up this morning with deer moving everywhere before 7:15 and then everything went silent.  A little spike wandered out alone around 4:30 followed by some distant leaf crunching.  Activity picking up, but still no mature buck movement in daylight hours. The rut will either come and go quietly this year or it will come with a bang in the next several days.

8m.. 4 of us have been hunting hard for 3 days..5 doe and 10-15( one group of 5 may be the same bucks) different bucks sighted so far by 3 of us..every doe has been hounded by at least one buck with 1 poor girl being chased by 5.... So far it has been strangely difficult to find the does.

Edited by ncountry

As of yesterday in 4J Albany County bow only I saw 12 doe. From sun up to sun down.  Most  traveling with fawns in tow.  I don't know whats going on.  I thought for sure I would at least some bucks but I have yet to see a single one, much less any chasing activity.  The rut must be on vacation here. Could be the moon, sun, wind, rain, warm weather, trickle rut whatever you want to blame it on.