Rage broadheads turned me into a believer today

Hock3y24

This post is generated to those who are on the fence about mechanical broad heads. After seeing my buddy shoot a doe with one this year i decided i was going to shoot my next deer with one. i have a 65 lb hoyt charger with a 27 inch draw, standard diameter arrows finished weight of 420 grains. this includes nocturnal and rage hypodermic 125 grain. this morning i had a 4 point come in to 25 yards pretty much broadside and i let one fly. unbelievable sound when that arrow hit the deer. the arrow went a little back because i was scared to hit the shoulder however was 5 inches in the ground on the other side. not one bent blade and still razor sharp. this buck ran 20 yards, stopped, did the tail flicker and fell over! i could not believe how fast this deer died with where i shot it. after examination i did clip the lungs and liver the broad head went between both rib cages without striking any bone somehow. safe to say i will be using these from now on.

• Like 1

I have had the same results with Rage regular 2 blades. Big ..big..Big..holes and deer die fast. I shot a big buck a couple years ago. He made it about 25- 30 yards but he was dead on his feet the whole way. After he ran maybe 10 yards I could see that he had nothing left. Rubber band legs…..switched to the hypodermic 100gr last season but never got a shot with them. Im sure the results will be the same..

Congrats

Edited by ants

I still using the Rage heads I got years ago.  I started out with regular 2 blades but shortly after switched to the 2 blade titaniums.  been shooting them every since.  with the 2 blades it's a typical 3" gash for entry and exit if nicely broadsided.  I've seen low quartering shots pretty much gut the deer as they open up on impact before entry not after.

In my around 27 years of bow hunting I've owned two bows, and used 3 broadheads , most of those years a cut on contact Magnus .

As you can guess I don't change things much .....my pic there of me skiing ? I'm being pulled by my '64 Starcraft !

After seeing all the pics and the buck my friend Joe shot with a Rage that really opened him up, I sent for some !

If they fly like my current head I'll use them but I'm not about to make adjustments to the bow mid season if they don't .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

I have never saw a deer get away after a good shot with a rage 2 blade. I'm not a believer of everything I hear so all the bad 'storys' I hear about them I throw out of the window after the results I have gotten and saw.

Fresh blades after every deer kill and a tiny bit of lube were the screw goes threw the blade and they have been flawless.

Well sorry to tell ya bud, But ive seen it go both ways. Ive tracked deer that were shot where your supposed to hit them and had blood at first, Then had nothing for over a hundred yards, Ill stick with my Montec G5's its a lighter blood trail but consistent blood all the way too the end every time, 

• Like 2

I have never saw a deer get away after a good shot with a rage 2 blade. I'm not a believer of everything I hear so all the bad 'storys' I hear about them I throw out of the window after the results I have gotten and saw.

Fresh blades after every deer kill and a tiny bit of lube were the screw goes threw the blade and they have been flawless.

I've never seen a deer get away from a good shot with any broad head.

• Like 7

I never liked the rubber bands on the older ones, but I got some Rage Crossbow X 125 grain heads this year with the shock collar. I missed a doe this past weekend. Arrow was stuck 10 inches into the dirt. Pulled it out, cleaned it up and checked the blades. Still good as new. I touched them up a but with a stone and put a new shock collar on, back in the quiver. Im pretty impressed so far.

I was shooting the montec g5s the last few years and i made some pretty good shots and the deer just would not die and some went a long way.  Even the butcher commented cause he could not believe the deer went that far.  I am switching this year to rage. 

This may be true but I have trailed deer upwards to 500 yards away until found dead. With good shots.

Have yet to trail a deer longer than 50 yards with rage. Ofcourse other broadheads work as well I just like the proven Rage.

And not to mention Rage broadheads will fly just like a feild tip. That alone is huge.

I know I have said this before & maybe Rage got their act back together but they had really bad quality issues for the last couple years. Their customer service was non existent. I still have a few left but I went back to fixed blades Innerloc carbon tuners & now the Slice & they fly just like my field tips & takes seconds to tune

for me Confidence in my equipment makes a world of difference in my shooting

I loved the rage for years until I had the a couple packages with bad quality issues & I lost that confidence

If you have that confidence with the Rage then stick with them!

Again Congrats on your Buck

I used rages for about 5 years until I shot a buck in Ohio and knew I hit him Perfect after a 400 yard very difficult track I found him and had to shoot him again on further inspection both blades broke off on entry so I basically put him down with a field point through the heart. IT could happen to any mechanical broad head that's why I use slick tricks, rages make big slices Slick tricks leave BIG holes.

I will say that I'm dumbfounded how many people say I made a perfect shot or hit the deer good but was still alive a while later and you had to finish it.  not just mechanicals either.  I've heard it with all kinds of broadheads out there even some like slick tricks, muzzy, and others.  I can understand a deer running far before tipping over.  if you make a good shot it will die in a short period of time. 

i'll shoot Rage heads because that's what I have but i'll shoot any head out there just about.  I agree a well tuned bow can throw many heads to the same spot as your field tips within reasonable hunting ranges.

blood trails are funny things.  a lot happens when a deer gets hit with an arrow or a bullet.  people blame poor blood trails on the head when in reality it's just what the deer did or exactly how and what got damaged from the hit.  I've seen a fixed blade broadhead slice open the heart and then come out the far side of a buck opening the whole side up 1' to where it's intestines were hanging out.  somehow the blood sprayed and collected only into the cavity of the buck.  there was a few little drops of blood in the 60 yard path seen by a few good sets of eyes in day light.  the person switched heads because the head "didn't do its job. no blood trail".

• Like 1

No doubt that rage broad heads produce massive wound channels,  but I hate the fact that you need those small rubber bands to lock the blades in.

NAP killzones are a much better head IMO.  They click into place and create the exact same wound.  I also feel that rage is not made as well as the NAP Killzone, but that is just my opinion

I currently switched over to fixed broadheads only because you get more knock down power and will never fail to open. Hopefully this weekend i can send a pic of the damage a GrizzlyStik Massai broad head can do.

I will say that I'm dumbfounded how many people say I made a perfect shot or hit the deer good but was still alive a while later and you had to finish it. not just mechanicals either. I've heard it with all kinds of broadheads out there even some like slick tricks, muzzy, and others. I can understand a deer running far before tipping over. if you make a good shot it will die in a short period of time.

i'll shoot Rage heads because that's what I have but i'll shoot any head out there just about. I agree a well tuned bow can throw many heads to the same spot as your field tips within reasonable hunting ranges.

blood trails are funny things. a lot happens when a deer gets hit with an arrow or a bullet. people blame poor blood trails on the head when in reality it's just what the deer did or exactly how and what got damaged from the hit. I've seen a fixed blade broadhead slice open the heart and then come out the far side of a buck opening the whole side up 1' to where it's intestines were hanging out. somehow the blood sprayed and collected only into the cavity of the buck. there was a few little drops of blood in the 60 yard path seen by a few good sets of eyes in day light. the person switched heads because the head "didn't do its job. no blood trail".

There is a big difference between a marginal shot and a broad head failing. Most of the stories I hear are about the perfect shot but I had no blood and the deer are never found hard to prove it was head failure with no evidence. I completely agree with you that blood trails are weird things I've seen heart shot deer not bleed and leg shot deer bleed out in 50 yards.

No doubt that rage broad heads produce massive wound channels, but I hate the fact that you need those small rubber bands to lock the blades in.

NAP killzones are a much better head IMO. They click into place and create the exact same wound. I also feel that rage is not made as well as the NAP Killzone, but that is just my opinion

I currently switched over to fixed broadheads only because you get more knock down power and will never fail to open. Hopefully this weekend i can send a pic of the damage a GrizzlyStik Massai broad head can do.

Rages use a shock collar now, much better design.

• Like 2

No doubt that rage broad heads produce massive wound channels, but I hate the fact that you need those small rubber bands to lock the blades in.

NAP killzones are a much better head IMO. They click into place and create the exact same wound. I also feel that rage is not made as well as the NAP Killzone, but that is just my opinion

Please explain your knock down power theory?