So who's headin out with their XBOW in the morning..

sits in trees

Now wait a minute. We just got done tar and feathering a new hunter with 5 or so pages of telling him what a scumbag he is for not abiding by the legal hunting hours that I assume had slipped by him. You know the old rule: "ignorance of the law is no excuse". So, everyone should have a copy of those volumes of Environmental Conservation Laws purchased and committed to memory as well as constantly checking and memorizing all new laws that are passed every year...... right?

A bit of sarcasm here, but I think you all know what I am getting at.

• Like 6

I tell you between doe only here, antler restrictions there and trying to read this stuff on this damn phone I don't even know what the hell I'm doing anymore. I'm pretty sure if I see a game warden in the woods I will be going down for doing something wrong.

I agree. If things get much more complicated, a whole new cottage industry of hunting lawyers will be springing up. Already there are so many new laws on the books that literally no one understands or knows them all. And that includes ECOs, judges, J.P.s, and most of all the ones who are supposed to be abiding by them .... the hunters. And then to make it all the more impossible to be a 24/7 law abiding citizen, there is the interpretation of the laws that no one seems to agree on. Some of the crimes you may commit may not even be interpreted until you have already broken them and you get your day in court.

And these days, the answer to everything is to pass a new law. We all want EAB, AR, and all the other alphabet soup that makes up everyone's wish list to support their armchair deer management schemes. Just what we need ..... more laws!

I think this post got a little off topic. Whereas there may be some confusion about some of the DEC regulations concerning hunting, I do not believe there was any confusion in the regulations about crossbow hunting starting in the Southern Zone on November 7. All one has to do is check their guide they should have received with their license or check on the DEC website. I am not trying to criticize anyone, but just trying to remind them to check if they are not sure and they will find the season dates clearly listed.

• Like 1

I get the dec email updates it's a good way to stay current. I always check the regs every year now as it seems that changes happen every season. Gonna be back in the woods on Friday for whole weekend hope the rut in the Catskills will be on like donkey kong lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now wait a minute. We just got done tar and feathering a new hunter with 5 or so pages of telling him what a scumbag he is for not abiding by the legal hunting hours that I assume had slipped by him. You know the old rule: "ignorance of the law is no excuse". So, everyone should have a copy of those volumes of Environmental Conservation Laws purchased and committed to memory as well as constantly checking and memorizing all new laws that are passed every year...... right?

A bit of sarcasm here, but I think you all know what I am getting at.

I thought about that as well, had he come and said "can't wait to get out with my xbow in the morning and as soon as it's close to being light, and the deers close enough I'll let one rip...because why not?....I may have ripped into him, but he didn't.

I thought about that as well, had he come and said "can't wait to get out with my xbow in the morning and as soon as it's close to being light, and the deers close enough I'll let one rip...because why not?....I may have ripped into him, but he didn't.

Ha-ha-ha, we kind of pick and chose which laws we want to criticize people for breaking or intending to break. I'm still trying to figure out who made us part of the judicial system. And I do love the creative quoting. That was cute.

The long range weather predictions are looking real good for the opener, next Saturday. I just picked up two more doe tags and I can't wait to get out there with a weapon that is ideally suited for killing does. No longer will I "get busted" when one pair of eyes out of a group catches me making the draw. Also, I passed up a little guy up in the Northern zone with my Muzzleloader a few weeks ago, so if "Mister Big" shows up, I still have a tag for him. I just hope some antlerless deer get into range for me during those two weeks. Last year, only two bucks showed up in range. I was sleeping when the first arrived. Thankfully, his little bit bigger brother wasn't so lucky a few days later.

Ha-ha-ha, we kind of pick and chose which laws we want to criticize people for breaking or intending to break. I'm still trying to figure out who made us part of the judicial system. And I do love the creative quoting. That was cute.

ha ha ha...if you actually read my posts, they never ripped anyone about bending or breaking laws, pretty sure I even made a point to say the Sunset issue was not even my concern....my comments focused on poor choices of words and the layed back attitude that was taken towards shooting a deer......go back and find where I got on anyone and accused them of breaking a law, if you find it, let me know....

Edited by jjb4900

Well one thing for sure, I will be out there Sat morn with my 20 yr old Excal, the weather looks promising. I haven't been seeing the large flocks of fall turkeys that I usually see this time of year, a little disappointing here in this part of the valley. I really think last winter put a serious hurting on them.

ha ha ha...if you actually read my posts, they never ripped anyone about bending or breaking laws, pretty sure I even made a point to say the Sunset issue was not even my concern....my comments focused on poor choices of words and the layed back attitude that was taken towards shooting a deer......go back and find where I got on anyone and accused them of breaking a law, if you find it, let me know....

Well, look at you getting all indignant .... lol. I probably should remind you that not everything is about you. There were 5 pages of replies in that thread, and I don't recall mentioning your name or your comment.

My comments here are simply that I am finding a general lack of consistency between these two threads, in terms of what we are getting outraged over and what we accept as being simply a mistake. Personally, I find most of that kind of judgmental crap unnecessary and there comes a time where we begin to cross over from simple information sharing as in this thread, to page after page of un-ending malicious moralizing, as in the other thread.

I agree. If things get much more complicated, a whole new cottage industry of hunting lawyers will be springing up. Already there are so many new laws on the books that literally no one understands or knows them all. And that includes ECOs, judges, J.P.s, and most of all the ones who are supposed to be abiding by them .... the hunters. And then to make it all the more impossible to be a 24/7 law abiding citizen, there is the interpretation of the laws that no one seems to agree on. Some of the crimes you may commit may not even be interpreted until you have already broken them and you get your day in court.

And these days, the answer to everything is to pass a new law. We all want EAB, AR, and all the other alphabet soup that makes up everyone's wish list to support their armchair deer management schemes. Just what we need ..... more laws!

Not just hunting. There are so many laws in the books in the United States that the government doesn't know how many there are and since nobody (literally nobody) knows them all, it's impossible for a single person to know they are in compliance at all times. This is why in fact ignorance of the law is a perfectly reasonable defense in many cases morally, even if not legally.

Edited by Core

Not just hunting. There are so many laws in the books in the United States that the government doesn't know how many there are and since nobody (literally nobody) knows them all, it's impossible for a single person to know they are in compliance at all times. This is why in fact ignorance of the law is a perfectly reasonable defense in many cases morally, even if not legally.

We're is that deer you wounded core ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In a day and age where we are all connected to the internet virtually anytime we want to be and spend hours following social media but don't bother to look up season opener dates is sheer laziness. You can't even claim you misinterpreted the wording, its there in black and white and in no way did the DEC make the opener date vague... I agree with the above posts also, behead the guy who stretched shooting light a few minutes but chuckle at one who is going into the woods with an illegal implement because they didn't care enough to read the regulations...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk