Winning a Fenced Hunt

Santamour123

If you won a fenced hunt at an event (No expence to you would you go?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. If you won a fenced hunt at an event (No expence to you would you go?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not talk about the hunt

All expense paid, free food, lodging, and meat for the freezer, ahhhh let me think, Ok,  :)  It may not be real hunting, but would still be fun to have your pick of 1 of 50, hand raised booners, standing in a field in front of you. Now does that hunt include a hog and a run through the stocked pheasent field also?  :D

As the one who posed the question I think an answer is due. I think I have to go with Bubba on this one.

Years ago my friend went on one of these hunts. He came back with a boar, some type of exotic deer and a whitetail. It cost him thousands to harvest these deer. This goes back 15 years. He said they put you in real close a take your pick, shooter be warned that the bigger rack cost more money. I would donate the hunt.

The only people i know that ever did a fenced hunt was 2 buddies. They went up near Oswego for russian boar. They took their bows and a video camera. I busted their chops pretty good about wanting to go but the video came out pretty cool and the one guy got charged after the shot. you don't get to see the second follow up because the other guy was to busy running to film...lol. I busted on him about running from a farm animal but after seeing the video and the boars I think I would have run too.

this was years ago and I think they spending less than $2 a pound based on final processed weight. It was some of the best pork I have ever had...Not for me but the meat was great ;)

I anyone thinks that is fair chase...let me set the hunt up for you...I am thinking a 10 acre high fence, night time lion hunt with the knife of your choice.  ;) . Now that is fair

ill try anything once... now work your magic.  :P

I see that social conditiong coming out again.

So why isn't hunting inside a fence real hunting?

Is it because the antis and some hunters feel or think the hunt takes place in a back yard surrounded by a chain link fence.? LOL

If you've never seen a fenced in hunting preserve, then don't comment it isn't real hunting.

Especially when most hunters I know don't venture over 300 yards from a road or trail unless they have an ATV to get them there.

The last fenced hunting outfit I saw had 10,000 acres. The smallest one was 250 acres.

My personal opinion is ....calling any fenced operatio hunting is equal to calling the carnival car ride with the rails driving. It is controled and limited. You take the risks we all have in a natural setting out of it. If I am not sure to make a quick and clean kill on a buck and that deer makes it off the property I can hunt there is a really good chance I could lose it. I wouldn't have to worry about that if I was in a fence.

Is there any doubt that the land I hunt holds deer?...in certain times of the year ...you bet....and if that is the case I have to go find them and make the hunt happen. If I am with an outfit and in even a large 10,000 acre fenced ranch. I KNOW they are there and the guides will put me on them. Sure the execution would be up to the shooter but IMO that is not hunting.

There is a reason those deer taken are not recognized by the clubs

First, the question need to define a "fenced" hunt.  Are we talking 10 acres here or 1000 acres?  Also would that be for native game or exotic?

I concur.  A fenced 1000 acres is not a "caged" hunt to me.  A fenced 100 acres would be another story.  I guess it depends on how you define "fair chase".  A thousand acres is a LOT of chasing.

As a devils advocate I must say that from everything I have read most does have a 400 acre home range and bucks roam up to 4000 acres during the rut, so, it is safe to say that some of the deer on a 10,000 acre fenced ranch will rarely if ever see the fence in their lifetime.  A deer in a 10,000 acre pen will be just as wild as the one that lives in my 200 acre chunk of woods.  And the deer in my 200 acre chunk of woods aren't going stray 10,000 acres away unless they are in the back of my pickup.  On my 200 acres, I know where they bed, where they eat, their escape routes when pressured and can guarantee people will see deer when I bring them hunting.  For me to go kill any deer isn't a big challenge.  I just don't have the control over the neighboring 9800 acres otherwise I would have tons of monsters roaming around too and they would be free range.  I don't consider a 10,000 acre fenced ranch a "fenced hunt" but rather a gated hunting preserve.  I don't see this type of hunt any different than an Anticosti Island or place like that. 

A small acre pen is a different story and completely unethical.  I tell people who purchase these types of hunts to get some respect the animal and go butcher a cow if you need the meat.

Honestly, if given for an opportunity to hunt a 10,000 acre gated preserve for FREE I would go as would the majority of people. 

As a devils advocate I must say that from everything I have read most does have a 400 acre home range and bucks roam up to 4000 acres during the rut, so, it is safe to say that some of the deer on a 10,000 acre fenced ranch will rarely if ever see the fence in their lifetime.  A deer in a 10,000 acre pen will be just as wild as the one that lives in my 200 acre chunk of woods.  And the deer in my 200 acre chunk of woods aren't going stray 10,000 acres away unless they are in the back of my pickup.  On my 200 acres, I know where they bed, where they eat, their escape routes when pressured and can guarantee people will see deer when I bring them hunting.  For me to go kill any deer isn't a big challenge.  I just don't have the control over the neighboring 9800 acres otherwise I would have tons of monsters roaming around too and they would be free range.  I don't consider a 10,000 acre fenced ranch a "fenced hunt" but rather a gated hunting preserve.  I don't see this type of hunt any different than an Anticosti Island or place like that. 

A small acre pen is a different story and completely unethical.  I tell people who purchase these types of hunts to get some respect the animal and go butcher a cow if you need the meat.

Honestly, if given for an opportunity to hunt a 10,000 acre gated preserve for FREE I would go as would the majority of people.

10 acres, 10,000 or 20,000 acres for me theres no difference, if its fenced I dont consider that hunting....period. How can anyone try to justify hunting on a fenced property just because its larger in acreage, I just dont get it????