Christmas Tree Question.......

Lawdwaz

They never come out looking even CLOSE to how the local diner does it.

Maybe it's the technique on how they drop them into the water?

The diners/cooks do them for about a min and with slotted spoon they place in cold water then reheat to serve.Keep trying and they will be awsome.I know one person on this site that went to the CIA and will not give many secrets.A damn god Chef and cook that he is.

Ive always been a real tree kinda guy, but I think this is gonna be the last year for it. I just honestly dont care if its real or fake anymore, and Im tired of cleaning up the mess each year and always having pine needles in the house for eternity. I never can seem to get rid of them all. The day after Christmas this year, I plan to go buy a nice prelit fake tree when they are on 60% off sales.

• Like 4

Yeah, pretty soon I will be heading down to the basement and pulling a sheet off our decorated 4' artificial and carrying it upstairs to set it up on a card table and plug it in. That's all there is to it. It has been the same tradition for about a decade.

I have tried a few different ways to wrestle with the Christmas tree fiasco. First we ran around the hill getting something that didn't look too scrubby. Then eventually we bought one of those chopped trees that start showing up some time in October or November (No telling exactly when it was actually cut.) Yeah the attempt to police up all the needles got old pretty quick. Ever notice how those little suckers get knitted into some kinds of carpets?

And then I saw some of the artificials that you have to stare at up close for a while to tell that they are not real. That did it. I bought one that I can hold in one hand and that was it. Yeah, it is starting to look a bit beat up now, and should be replaced soon.

• Like 1

turkeyfeathers, on 08 Dec 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

Mrs S uses this contraption all the time. It's made of a thin rubber . You float it with egg inside in the boiling water.

I think I've seen those things down at the local adult novelty store... " Toys for .....

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
Sorry Dan, I had to edit that one...
  • Like 1

We had real trees for a number of years and have been using an artificial now for probably 12-14 years.  You know, the kind you put together, hang lights & ornaments then plug in.

My question is; at what point is it OK to get one of those fold-up. pre-lit and non-removable installed ornaments?

Are the determining factors: Age, Dexterity or Scrooge-ism levels?

Thanks in advance for the favor of a reply. :)

Once the kids move out!

• Like 1

I've had live trees since I was born.  Even grew a few acres of trees for college funds.

Wife thinks she may be allergic and buys a fake one.  - scrawny and horrible looking.  Even looks like cheap plastic.  I moved it out of the room so I didn't have to look at it.

Come home from work and she says looks better decorated doesn't it - she replaced it with another and  wasn't sure if I would notice the difference. I still don't like the way it looks. 

She is still stuffy, running nose and coughing.  I told her see its not the real trees, you get a cold every Christmas season.  According to her, it is cold this year, past Christmas' was allergies.

Tempted to buy a tree after going hunting this weekend.  I can tell her I am bringing something home, whether I got deer or not that way.

No pine needles around the house is nice, but miss the smell and look of a real tree.

• Like 1

$69.99 at Fathead.com

I FREAKING LOVE IT !!!!

My grandfather finally forced my grandmother into a fake tree in the mid 1970's. After Christmas he would unplug the tree, carry the whole thing, decorations and all, up to the attic and throw a sheet over it. The next year he would carry it down stairs and just plug it in.. He did this for well over 30 years…He was a genius.

• Like 1

They never come out looking even CLOSE to how the local diner does it.

Maybe it's the technique on how they drop them into the water?

Crack them into a small sized coffee cup first and then slide them into the boiling water, close to the surface.

Do what I do; announce to your guests: HOW DO YOU WANT YOUR SCRAMBLED EGGS??

Ha!

I use the white vinegar and I've tried slide (dumped) them into the water........Maybe I need to slide them in slower?

That rubber thing Pygmy referenced has me perplexed?  :)

That stick on Xmas tree also looks like a winner.  I wonder if they have stick on deer mounts too?