All Gone

Fehyd643

Before I start, no one was hurt in any way.  Material items can be replaced where lives can not!

So I just all of my hunting gear with the exception of my guns and bow.

If any of you live around Newark, NY, you probably already heard about this.  My garage burned to the ground last night, taking both my car and my truck.  The truck was loaded up for a hunting trip with everything but my firearm.  Burned to a crisp.

Believe it or not, it burned my boat to a crisp as well.  That was loaded with my fishing gear (winterized and in locked compartments).

I am starting to itemize everything for insurance, and it is just now hitting me how much I just lost... I know, I know... My family and I are seriously the luckiest people on earth that the fire did not take the whole house, or hurt anyone.  I know my losses are just "things."  I've been optimistic and positive, staying strong for my wife and kids all day.  This happened at 3am on the 10th, and I am mentally fried. I'm sitting in a hotel room, hitting a breathing treatment on a nebulizer for smoke inhalation and just not feeling that lucky.  My losses are close to double what my limit of insurance coverage allows for "Other Buildings"

Not looking for sympathy, not looking for insurance advice (we have NFA working for us).  I'm just venting to people I don't know to avoid venting this petty garbage on my family that needs my shoulders.  2 rubbermaid bins of cold weather gear, scents, calls, boots, gloves, knife, flashlights, backpack...  Hell, my (loaded) magazines for my ruger american cooked off as my backpack burnt to ashes.

Interested in pictures?  https://www.facebook.com/Fehyd/media_set?set=a.10101539039274995&type=3&pnref=story

but... I'm alive and so is my family.  vent over.  carry on

post-3768-0-39473300-1449804536_thumb.jp

• Like 2

So sorry..  I can relate..  On May 2nd of this year I was at my camp turkey hunting and got a call around 1pm from a neighbor that my house was on fire..  the house burned to the ground and we literally lost everything but the clothes on our backs (and what I had packed for camp)...

It sucks, but like you said, you are safe.  most material things can be replaced.  We were fortunate enough to have a very good insurance company and everything went smooth on that front. 

My thoughts are with you and your family.. 

Before I start, no one was hurt in any way. Material items can be replaced where lives can not!

So I just all of my hunting gear with the exception of my guns and bow.

If any of you live around Newark, NY, you probably already heard about this. My garage burned to the ground last night, taking both my car and my truck. The truck was loaded up for a hunting trip with everything but my firearm. Burned to a crisp.

Believe it or not, it burned my boat to a crisp as well. That was loaded with my fishing gear (winterized and in locked compartments).

I am starting to itemize everything for insurance, and it is just now hitting me how much I just lost... I know, I know... My family and I are seriously the luckiest people on earth that the fire did not take the whole house, or hurt anyone. I know my losses are just "things." I've been optimistic and positive, staying strong for my wife and kids all day. This happened at 3am on the 10th, and I am mentally fried. I'm sitting in a hotel room, hitting a breathing treatment on a nebulizer for smoke inhalation and just not feeling that lucky. My losses are close to double what my limit of insurance coverage allows for "Other Buildings"

Not looking for sympathy, not looking for insurance advice (we have NFA working for us). I'm just venting to people I don't know to avoid venting this petty garbage on my family that needs my shoulders. 2 rubbermaid bins of cold weather gear, scents, calls, boots, gloves, knife, flashlights, backpack... Hell, my (loaded) magazines for my ruger american cooked off as my backpack burnt to ashes.

Interested in pictures? https://www.facebook.com/Fehyd/media_set?set=a.10101539039274995&type=3&pnref=story

but... I'm alive and so is my family. vent over. carry on

attachicon.gifhunter 001.jpg

Sorry for the losses, it may JUST be material, but I'm sure you and your family work hard for those material things.

Has it been determined on what started the fire? Electrical?

If you send me your address, I'd like to send you one of my flashlight packages to help you light your way back on your feet in terms of getting back out there.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 5

My hunting brother, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers tonight. The most precious things, your family, are safe. Your shoulders must stay strong to bare the weight for them. If you could PM me, I have some extra things I would be happy to share with you, to start rebuilding your hunting and fishing items. Just a little something from one outdoorsman to another.

• Like 3

First of all, I want to say thank you.

I'm sitting in a Quality Inn room, with my wife sleeping in one bed, and my 17 yr old sleeping in another.  Luckily, my 18 yr old is still at his dorm in brockport.

Little background on the dawn events:  At 3 AM, I am woken up by someone frantically pounding on my door and ringing the doorbell.  I open my eyes and my room is lit up like mid-day.  I grab the wife, go downstairs and grab the kid, and bolt out of the house.  As I leave the house, I look back and see that the garage and both vehicles are on fire.  I rush my family across the street in fear of explosions.  By the time I get across the street, the fire has trippled in size.  The shear heat of it literally melted the siding of my neighbors house 30 yds away and the peak of my back porch had burst into flame.  A teenager approaches me and I realize he is the one that rang the bell.  He saw the fire from a street away, called 911 and races over to alert us.  In the space of 15 minutes, the garage went from a fire that could be handled by a few extinguishers to a roaring blaze that chars all of the surrounding houses, shattering windows and melting siding. By 4am the fire was out, the garage was barely a skeleton, the car and truck are not even recognizable.

It was so damn fast!  If that teenager had walked by 10 minutes earlier, he wouldnt have seen it.  If he were 10 minutes later, we probably would have died. (I looked for him later when I could think, and he had dissapeared. never saw him before, and never got his name)

As I sit here, I am filling out my itemized loss listing.  With my family finally peacefully sleeping, at 41 yrs old, I am feeling like I want to cry.  I don't care how un-manly it makes me.  To all you parents, you must understand what it takes to be the rock of the family.  The steady presence that holds things from going over the edge of hysteria.  It's a job I happily take, but it tears me apart.  When I realize I was just a few minutes from losing everything, it literally has me shaking as it kicks in.

I posted here because I had to get it out in a safe place, so as to keep my spirits up and to not let my family see me falter when they needed my strength.  Again, I was not looking for sympathy or handouts.  I didnt even have a need for people to read my post.  I just needed to write it. (If that makes sense)

To all those responding, and especially to those that are offering prayers and assistance, I cannot thank you enough.  Even if I have no idea who you are, your support and understanding are priceless to me.

I don't know what else to say.  Thank you.

Joshua O'Campo

• Like 6

Very sorry to hear of this. I grew up in Newark. It's a good community, and I have a number of friends there.

Glad you and your family are safe. As you've said, that's the important thing.

Please let us know if we can help in any way. I'm a pretty good builder, and I'd be happy to help with putting together and running a volunteer crew for rebuilding when the time comes. PM coming coming your way.

Seriously,

Mark

• Like 3

very sorry man. My garage and gear is less about the dollar value and more about a collection of stuff over my 32 years that i've acquired to make my life easier in the woods and while working on motors and the yard. I also keep my antlers minus the mounts in the garage. Those aren't replaceable and either is the sentimental value of a lot of tools from my late grandfather.

glad you and your family are ok. Let us know what caused it so we can all learn.