How big do bucks get?

erussell

Geez..... That place looks like the Barnum & Bailey Freak Show of Whitetails..

I can't imagine paying $13,000 + for a deer on a "MANAGED FAIR CHASE" preserve though, & I'm not going to knock anybody for their thoughts of preserves but the $13,000........OUCH !!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine paying $13,000 + for a deer on a high fenced preserve though, & I'm not going to knock anybody for their thoughts of preserves but the $13,000........OUCH !!!

$13,000 is an aweful lot of corn fed beef...lol ???

My biggest buck, shot in IL, field dressed around 250-260lbs and me and my partner had all to do to drag him to a spot where we could drive the vehicle to and load him up.  We dragged him before dressing him out as not to leave the entrails in the middle of the field.  So figure he was around 320lbs live weight.  There was nothing fun about dragging that one as the field where he died in was muddy and slick!!  Only the consolation of him coming back to NY on the back of my truck kept us going.

th eone I got this year was 185 dressed...we did the same...draggedd to the area we could get the wheeler and had to load him whole because the guy who ows it walks his dog and deosn't want gut piles there. We had all we could do to get him on the back rack. He swears he is only going to shoot small deer from now on...lol

I always seem to get some doozie drags. I have no worries though. I can still pull and rest pull and rest. I just take my time. One thing I will not do again is shoot 2 deer way back in! Did that once a few years ago. Shot a 10 point and the doe he was with. Just with my Dad that day who was close to 70. I spent 6 total hours draggin those deer. My biggest dressed 186 and was a couple miles back in but was not too bad. Most of the drag was an old dump road gated off so we went home and got a dolly and some freinds and we wheeled hi out.

I can't imagine paying $13,000 + for a deer on a high fenced preserve though, & I'm not going to knock anybody for their thoughts of preserves but the $13,000........OUCH !!!

$13,000 is an aweful lot of corn fed beef...lol ???

im with you culv.... jeeeees thats alot of money for a hunt.

Not to get crazy off topic but my cousin had one of these. I helped him drag out a buck on one and it was really amazing how much easier it made it. He use to put it on his day pack like a bed roll. Really made it easier on grass and leaves. Bet it would go like mad on snow

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/original-deer-sleighr-game-sled.aspx?a=450188

I've been putting in for VT moose tags for about 4 years now.  I'm planning on taking my Dad if I ever get drawn and a friend of his was giving him moose hunting advice.  He told him "If you see one and he looks like he's going to take one more step towards the truck, let him take it because that's one less step you have to drag the @*#()$*@!!"

My biggest buck was 175 lbs and he took 3 1/2 hours of dragging to get back to the tent and then another hour the next day to get to the truck.  No motor vehicles allowed where we go.  Now whenever I go out I always tell the other guys "Remember, try to get one with a huge rack of horns but a body that'll fit in your backpack." :(

I tried one of those sleds on a 125 pound 6 point a couple years ago. What a PITA! Could not get the deer to stay strapped in, the sled ripped where a tie down went, it ripped also going over some rocks. After about an hour wasted and 50 yards dragged I took the deer the rest of the way off it and dragged it out regular way. It did come with a nice florescent orange strap though an inch wide and about 10 feet long. I chucked the rest and use the strap now since my old drag rope had hit the wall.

My biggest kill was 300 pounds, but it was a black bear, not a deer.

;D

Fortunately it was an easy downhill drag to the road.

I saw a show on TV where guys were hunting Red Stag in some other country.  It was steep mountainous terrain.  After they shot this 1000 lb beast, they had a little helicopter come in and fly it out, hanging from it on a 20 foot rope tied to the antlers.  Weird sight to see that flying over your head in the woods!

???

My biggest kill was 300 pounds, but it was a black bear, not a deer.

;D

Fortunately it was an easy downhill drag to the road.

I saw a show on TV where guys were hunting Red Stag in some other country.  It was steep mountainous terrain.  After they shot this 1000 lb beast, they had a little helicopter come in and fly it out, hanging from it on a 20 foot rope tied to the antlers.  Weird sight to see that flying over your head in the woods!

???

Bear dragging is the absolute pits. they roll....hang up...go everywhere but where you want them too...lol

Covert......those are words to live by right there...lol. I am hoping they do some genetic engineering and really focus on the jack-a-lope thing. 12 point.....24" spread.....3 pounds

12 point.....24" spread.....25 pounds, all backstrap!!!!!  ;D

Not to get crazy off topic but my cousin had one of these. I helped him drag out a buck on one and it was really amazing how much easier it made it. He use to put it on his day pack like a bed roll. Really made it easier on grass and leaves. Bet it would go like mad on snow

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/original-deer-sleighr-game-sled.aspx?a=450188

We have used plastic kids sleds for years down at the camp I used to go to. It works great. Never tried one of the roll up ones, but I can imagine it would be just as good. I picked up a deer cart on sale a couple of years ago for when Im hunting alone. Havent had to use it yet though.

when I used to hunt state land with the guys, we had to drag. As I have mentioned, we would go out in the swamp and hunt. So when you had to drag, it was through the swamp.  to the hard land then to the road.  it would take us a fw hours to get one out.  The worst was a 175 pound 10 point about 2 miles back and two of us. 4 hours later, the deer was at the truck. This year I shot a 190 poind 8 point.  This was the first one I have ever had taken out with an atv.  I shot him at 8:10Am.  I dressed him and drug him about 500 yards ot the 4  wheler trail.  Whn I called to say I had got one, they came with the 4 wheeler. They were amazed I had drug him as far as I had by myself.  A few years ago, I would have took him all the way which was about a mile.  I am 52 now and I still like to drag, but when alone, I am starting to realize it isnt all that easy.