Update.......*Scored And Aged*

Lawdwaz

Shortly after I killed my archery buck I took the lower jaw to the DEC in Buffalo to have it aged.  The general consensus of the 4 people (1 biologist, 1 ENCON officer and two assistants to the biologist) was that it was a 4.5 year old buck, not 6.5 like my taxidermist thought.

Tonight I went and had it officially measured for P&Y/NYS Big Buck Club.  He grossed 132 1/8th and netted 122 0/8.....

Here's a link to the buck...

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/30060-saturdays-buck-rough-age-score/

• Like 12

I have shot a couple NYS big buck club deer but never entered them into the book. That doesn't really matter to me as much as the story behind the deer does. Either way great buck, love to see nice NY bucks!

Maybe, maybe not. They aren't NYS big buck club deer unless entered right?

If Larry didn't get his buck officially measured I would have thought it was 125"+ Net and good enough for P&Y.

I've had a few animals officially measured some were smaller than I thought, but some were actually bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, maybe not. They aren't NYS big buck club deer unless entered right?

If Larry didn't get his buck officially measured I would have thought it was 125"+ Net and good enough for P&Y.

I've had a few animals officially measured some were smaller than I thought, but some were actually bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I considered if it is measured by a certified individual and all paperwork is there it is, but to each their own. No biggy if he wants to enter it, it's his trophy either way.

I have shot a couple NYS big buck club deer but never entered them into the book. That doesn't really matter to me as much as the story behind the deer does. Either way great buck, love to see nice NY bucks!

It's a nice way to recognize a buck for surviving the harsh winters, dedicated hunters, motor vehicles.

Record books should really NOT have the hunters name listed; just the score, picture, date and area but then who'd give a darn? :)

• Like 1

knowing what they came up with are you going to post photos to let us see what the jaw bone looks like?  congrats again.  it was a heck of a buck.

Heck yes I'll post pics but at this point it'll probably be on Sunday.  I'm real busy tomorrow and Sunday morning but will try and get some good shots later in the day.

Thanks to you and others for the congrats.

knowing what they came up with are you going to post photos to let us see what the jaw bone looks like?  congrats again.  it was a heck of a buck.

OK, here we go........

I haven't cut the jaw up yet like I usually do.  When you see a white background that's just a piece of paper I put behind for the picture.

IMG_7563_zpsgptdmmds.jpg

IMG_7562_zps60ya6usw.jpg

IMG_7565_zpsopavtzgb.jpg

some put a lot of emphasis on lingual crest being flat, blunt, round, sharp, etc. on each molar.  I've seen it vary quite a bit so far with a lot of them being broken at some point instead of just worn.  you can still see the infundibulum between lingual and buccal portions of teeth on fourth tooth back so i would've said it's less than 6 yrs old despite weight.  with what i see, I would call it 5.5 yrs old.  could be 4 though i suppose. thinking about weight it's a little more than 4.5 and 5.5 yr old bucks taken around here but your soil is a bit better out there in general despite we're ag ground around here. regardless it doesn't change anything about it being a deer anyone would want to take without hesitation.  had a 196 lb'er shot on neighboring property and not that far away another probably 4.5 yr old that weighed 186.  only other way to contemplate how old is don't throw away the incisors if you do trim up the jawbone and instead send them in.  pretty accurately done by lab with deer up here that don't get supplemental feed year round.  i don't off many farms that leave crops standing year round to feed deer all the way through the winter.  i think you did good though.  I'd hang the jaw bone under the mount and call it an awesome season.