Shed Score.....BOTH Sides!

Lawdwaz

Went down to Canadice yesterday morning.  I had a couple stops to make on the way down and then was just going to grab camera cards/swap out batteries and then mooch around in the woods for a bit, going places I'd never go in the fall.  Well, I just was enjoying the heck out of the day and decided to take a BIG walk, it seemed to be the right thing to do!  About three hours later I had circled back to the truck and was pretty much wiped out.  Enough uphill/downhill and gullies for me for the day!

While hiking I was keeping my eyes pealed for sheds and of course never found a single hunk of bone.  On the way back to my friends house I was talking with another friend and bitching about not finding any sheds.  I pulled in my buds driveway and looked in the pasture and lo and behold there's a shed, about 50-60 yards off the driveway.  I hit the binders and jumped out, sprinted (not really) to the horn.  Bingo, it's been a few years since I've found one so I was pumped.

I pulled in and showed my buddy.  We talked for a bit and I said I was going to jump on the 4wheeler and go grab two other cam cards but first take a quick spin around the area in the rest of the field to see if I could find the other horn from the buck.  Don't you know that within 30 seconds I spot the darn thing up on the dike of the pond. :)

I have and will load tomorrow night trail cam footage of the buck with headgear attached.

As I found the first one........

image_zpsnt07abhz.jpeg

This morning, both together................

image_zpscxy3krnp.jpeg

• Like 13

So what the score of the sheds?

Good question. An even better question ...... How do you score two separate antlers? What assumptions about pedicle spread and the angles that the antlers sat on the skull (that you don't have) to establish the spread elements of the score? I always wondered that when people find sheds and claim a certain score. Anybody know?

LOL, in the thread title the word "Score" is just describing the fact that I found a matched pair, not a "number score" like Boone & Crocket.

Yes, sheds can very easily be scored and they CAN be entered in the New York State Big Buck Club but these are not that big at all, next year they could be dandy.

IIRC all sheds get a static inside measurement of 16". All other measurements can be easily measured. Clear as mud??

• Like 2

LOL, in the thread title the word "Score" is just describing the fact that I found a matched pair, not a "number score" like Boone & Crocket.

Yes, sheds can very easily be scored and they CAN be entered in the New York State Big Buck Club but these are not that big at all, next year they could be dandy.

IIRC all sheds get a static inside measurement of 16". All other measurements can be easily measured. Clear as mud??

Yes, but what's the score?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Nice way to start shed season!

I'll say!  Great find on a deer you have cam pics of too.

By the way, lawz wasn't asking us to score it. His title "Shed Score  Both Sides"  is saying he found both sides. Score = obtained.  But since some brought up the score, I believe there is a separate score sheet for sheds. They throw the spread out the window, but use all other methods to score as they would per P&Y measurement system.

Yea I know it's not a booner, but since you found both sides, which is really cool, I was curious what it scores.

The reason I'm curious is because the sheds I have when held in hand don't look as big as they actual score when I take a tape to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I know it's not a booner, but since you found both sides, which is really cool, I was curious what it scores.

The reason I'm curious is because the sheds I have when held in hand don't look as big as they actual score when I take a tape to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll see if I can put a tape to them at some point, no promise how quick I get to it though.........oh, I don't think you'll be impressed though!