Shockey's gun safe robbed

BizCT

One thing about safes is you put everything in one easy to steal box. Bolt it down, keep.it out of sight of the causal visitor, and if it's under 500 pounds consider loading the bottom with bags of shot .

Mine is in a hidden room in the basement , bolted to the floor and wall, and not all my guns are valuables are in it .

Brain storm , leave a cheap locker type safe out in the open filed with junk.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 6

Old Jim knows bucks and bears but doesn't know his rifles.  If his fathers gun is as old as he says, it probably is a 721, NOT a 788.

Pretty foolish to not have that house set up with a top shelf alarm system too.  Dang  the luck......... 

• Like 1

Sounds like the place was remote and no one was around for a while. Even if the safe was bolted down, the thieves may have had enough time to get the thing loose. My in laws go to Florida every winter. When they do my father in law leave his guns with me…..Just saying.

Jim Shockey is one of the few hunting show celeb's,  who I can actually stand.

Edited by ants
  • Like 2

Sounds like the place was remote and no one was around for a while. Even if the safe was bolted down, the thieves may have had enough time to get the thing loose. My in laws go to Florida every winter. When they do my father in law leave his guns with me…..Just saying.

Jim Shockey is one of the few hunting show celeb's, who I can actually stand.

That's a good move, my Grandparents lived behind us , and whenever we went away I had to carry some items over to their house.

You're right , if you live in a rural area the thieves have time and being out of sight to their advantage . On the Canon safe web page they used to have a pic of one of their safes, that had a chain wrapped around it and pulled out of the house with a truck ! It was dragged a couple miles and beat on but never opened , which was why it was on the site . http://www.cannonsafe.com/stories/chris-smith/

I have a friend with a 16x16 gun vault . 10 inch poured reinforced concrete walls, 2 inch steel ceiling with 7 inches of concrete above that and a vault door. All hidden behind a dummy wall. If you saw what was in it your jaw would hit the floor. Say hello to my little friend ......

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

One thing about safes is you put everything in one easy to steal box. Bolt it down, keep.it out of sight of the causal visitor, and if it's under 500 pounds consider loading the bottom with bags of shot .

Mine is in a hidden room in the basement , bolted to the floor and wall, and not all my guns are valuables are in it .

Brain storm , leave a cheap locker type safe out in the open filed with junk.

THIS. I do the same. My small valuables I don't need to worry about physically protecting against as they are simply hidden and impossible to find, frankly.

Also, I'm having less sympathy with each passing year for people who do not have video surveillance at their house. In the year 2016 it is now possible to get a high def camera for $100-200, and some are very easy to setup as well. A $150-200 cloud-based network camera pointing down this guy's driveway would have uploaded to the internet HD video of the truck as it pulled up to their house. Even if they were smart enough to cut the power before entering the house at least the RCMP would now have a nice clean description of the truck and the people who were driving it.

technically his dad's safe but it still sucks. guns have great sentimental value. money can't replace that. I may never shoot another deer with my browning slug gun now that we're rifle but I'd never think of selling it.

well, if his Dad is deceased, I would assume that Jim is now the owner.....

Mine was lowered into my basement before the house was there. It won't fit through any doors so they would have a hell of a time getting out with it.

A friends gun safe is the old AM N A's ( I know I spelled that wrong ) department store safe from the Eastern Hills Mall. Had to lift the house foundation up to get the safe in the house. Talk about a walk in safe !!! We joke it also doubles as a bomb shelter.

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

I know the feeling I had a gun cabinet full of guns stolen from my previous residents about 10 yrs ago.I lost a brand new remington model 700bdl I had never even fired along with an rem 870 marlin 3030 and a older Winchester semi auto in 308 that my dad had pasted down to me,killed my fist deer with it.You can't replace things like that.We had gone away on a camping trip when we came back the house had been gone three besides the guns and gun cabinet they stoled tvs,vcrs,sterios mine and my son's compound bows pretty much everything that wasn't nailed down approximately 7 thousand dollars worth.we never found out who did it or recovered anything of value.Talk about scumbags

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I have a friend with a 16x16 gun vault . 10 inch poured reinforced concrete walls, 2 inch steel ceiling with 7 inches of concrete above that and a vault door. All hidden behind a dummy wall. If you saw what was in it your jaw would hit the floor. Say hello to my little friend ......

I doubt its a 2 inch thick steel plate on the roof of that room,Just a regular A36 type steel would weigh in more than 20,000 pounds of steel.Either way my mind is racing thinking about whats in there and why I haven't hit the lotto yet so I can have a room like that!!!HAHA

• Like 1

Also, I'm having less sympathy with each passing year for people who do not have video surveillance at their house. In the year 2016 it is now possible to get a high def camera for $100-200, and some are very easy to setup as well. A $150-200 cloud-based network camera pointing down this guy's driveway would have uploaded to the internet HD video of the truck as it pulled up to their house.

This.

It wouldn't take too many strategically placed cameras to give the popo a pretty good start on catching the bad guys.  As said in the quoted post, this technology should be within financial reach of anybody today.

I'm in..............

• Like 1