What

Dom

What has happened to a good old fashion Sunday/Family dinner?I myself i cook 85%of my meals at home we go to dinner afew times a year not on a regular bases like some on here do.The thing is why not cook more at home?I work and earn a good bit of cash and would rather cook or eat at home.I'm just wondering what happened to family/times/meals?My folk's/parents are both past so going to a brother/sisters house is close still not the way I was brang up

Times have changed and everyone is on the go with their own agenda. What gets me is when you do see a family together each one has their own phone and is looking at that rather than interacting with each other.

They set in the same house and text each other rather than get up and go to another room to have a actual conversation.

We are definitely in a sad state of affairs and I don't see it getting any better.

• Like 1

We go out for dinner maybe 4 or 5 times a year. I do 90% of the cooking in my house. And it's never boxed/bagged food ( OK, maybe the veggies are in a steam bag ). Hell, I don't even use premixed spices. I make my own seasoning and rubs.

We have family gatherings a few times a year, mostly the g/f's family.

We used to host at least 5 cookouts a year. It just got to be too much work/money for people to show up, eat, and bail.

Everyone is trying to keep up the Jones's. If the neighbor kid plays baseball, soccer, an instrument, goes to camp and takes dance....so does every kid on the block...not bad..just a big change from years ago.

Families are on the go 24/7 and usually bitch about but so nothing to correct the problem.

Eating out is quick and easy, and just another check on the daily to do list.

Just an observation.....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The kids and I eat dinner together on Sun, Mon, and Wed. On Thurs, the wife joins us as she doesn't work that night. Every Fridayall of the family and my wife's parents and her sisters family all get together for homemade pizza night. Saturday it is usually just us for dinner. Then on Sunday morning my parents come over for breakfast.

I also do most of the cooking and usually on Wednesdays we get takeout and sit together and eat at home. It's important to have that time as much as possible. Family dinners are alive and well here!!!

Oh and no technology at the table. It's eat and talk without distractions.

Edited by Zem18
  • Like 2

When I was a kid, we used to have family get-togethers very frequently through the summer. And I am not talking about just the immediate family. The yard was filled with cars and the house (a rather large farmhouse) was filled with people. Kids running everywhere. All these conversations and laughter filling every room. Then as years passed, these gatherings occurred only at major holidays. And today, my wife and I are lucky if we can corral our own kids and their families for major holiday dinners. It seems to be just a sign of the times. Families are scattered all over the globe, and many people have retreated into their own lives with only electronic implements to interface with others. Yes like the Sunday dinners after church, a lot has been lost as everyone goes deeper into their own individual worlds. Just another set of lifestyles, attitudes, and circumstances of the ever-evolving world.

We often have family reunions during the summer . At Thanksgiving we have our 5 kids and their families as well as 2 sister in laws and a couple others . That makes 25 - 30 folks at dinner . It's a lot of work . 

I am 74 and my wife is 73 with no kids at home . We enjoy dining out with friends on a Friday night and doing breakfast on a Saturday and Sunday mornings at local restaurants . Sometimes we may have a brunch or dinner at someone's house and take turns doing this . So , I guess a few couples from our church have become the Family Dinner . 

When you are eating with the same person night after night , it's nice to get out and see and hear from others . 

I can't say my family of 4 is always together every night of the week, but we make time for dinner as much as possible. It's important to my wife and I. When I was back in NY we almost always went to my parents or hers on Sunday for a big family meal. I think more people still do this than you think.

The big family meal is even more common down south. You know, where conservative family values are ruining America.

Funny you brought this up...I made mention of Sunday dinner together with our sons  family...She was all for it...the guys,not so much!...They work together and it is the last thing they want on their weekends...lol Our daughter is too far away...but We all do get together often during the summer and have time at the lakes and camp plus holidays... Not to mention our calls and texting just for daily check ins. As River gets older it will probably be more time because he will be the only child in the family and we all want him to grow up with a strong family connection...That is what the Texas trip was about...Great Grams has Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home and Gramps moved there this past fall..She was able to hold  River and they all got pictures and memories...She even showed some recognition...Our kids have been very close with their grandparents.

• Like 1

I grew up helping on my grandparents' farm. During the busy season it was three hots and a cot, and complaining was not tolerated. The only excuse for missing a "family" meal was if you were out hunting for the next family meal.

I still do Sunday lunch with my folks and a couple other family members. I'm old enough to know that it's a limited engagement, and I treasure the experience.

I grew up helping on my grandparents' farm. During the busy season it was three hots and a cot, and complaining was not tolerated. The only excuse for missing a "family" meal was if you were out hunting for the next family meal.

I still do Sunday lunch with my folks and a couple other family members. I'm old enough to know that it's a limited engagement, and I treasure the experience.

When I was growing up, even being a few minutes late for family dinner was enough to catch all kinds of hell...