Things we did as kids for entertainment

CFHunter

So yeah, we would set up artillery duels using carbide "cannons".

We would divide up into two sides and set up about 10-15 yards apart.

What you do is take a paint can and poke a small hole on the side near the base - that would be the touch hole.

Next you get a nice chunk of calcium carbide. You can buy it online now, but back then we were 9 years old and had a guy whose dad had some and you know...

Everyone gets a piece and puts it in their paint can.   Then you spit on it real good, put the lid on the can, shake the can around a bit and place it on the ground.

The spit reacts with the carbide to produce acetylene gas.

You brace the can with your foot, aim, place a lit match against the touch hole, and BLAM, the lid flies off towards your friends.

If you hit someone, they're out.   This goes on until one team wins.

You gotta be pretty quick with the match though.  If you wait a bit too long the carbide produces too much gas and the explosion blows up your can, so you don't want to do that.   But if you do it too quickly, the lid won't have the velocity.  

Good times  :roulette:

Next post: we shot each other with tennis ball cannons made with old-style soft-drink cans, duct tape, and lighter fluid.

Edited by Black Bellamy

Next post: we shot each other with tennis ball cannons made with old-style soft-drink cans, duct tape, and lighter fluid.

We actually used soup cans for this. the good ole dys when the walls of a can could withstand an explosion. it was best at night because the tennis ball actually looked like a comet at night. Glowing ball with a long tail. 

Making or digging forts, bb/pellet guns, riding bikes everywhere and making sure you where home for dinner or before dark.  Sleeping over my best friends house because he could stay up later and his parents where much more lenient.  (And they cursed!!!)  Riding the "Path" our local BMX track on vacant land, lighting off fireworks.  Hanging out at the local archery range of which I am a member now and going into the water towers, climbing the big radio tower and going around the bob wire to reach the top.  Running from the cops, security etc. was always fun unless you  got caught.  Exploring the tunnels as we called them, most would call them sewers, running again from the cops, lol.  Bottle rocket fights, roman candle fights, then thunder stick fights.  Laser tag at night in the archery range, running from the cops again.  Lucky for me I was fast as a kid!  Beating up the local kids when they asked for a fight, I was little but had issues backing down.  Summers and winters where spent in Pennsylvania or Maine hiking, fishing, bow, guns and snowmobiles.  Admiring the deer that my uncle Mert would always get.  Snakes, frogs, fish and squirrels where always at risk, birds did not stand a chance!  Lucky for me I grew out of that stage real quick.  Then girls came on the radar and all that stopped.  HA!  No wonder I am single, lmao.

Fun post! 

We would spear frogs, play base ball, cowboys & Indians, ride bikes, just take walks in the hay fields & woods. Make forts in the hay loft out of the baled hay. Ride horses & donkeys. Swing on rope swings. Shoot rats running from the barn to other out buildings. Ho yea & poke people in the a$$ with sticks taking a crap in the out house through the knot holes in the sides!  lol  Had a hell of a lot of fun.

Sticks shaped like guns and "Big Game hunts" and do I dare mention Cowboys and Indians?

Smear the queer!

We all had our toy guns & holsters(Lone ranger) & we all grew up pretty normal, I think?  Now days you can't even find or buy a toy gun & if you ask in the stores they think you are crazy!  What have we come to?

Where is Pygmy. I wanna hear about the stone spears and boomerangs. 

It wasn't much fun wrestling Saber tooths and riding Mammoths. About the most fun he had was making a new thong out of Leopard skin.

Dang he replied as I typed this, low and behold he referenced a Mammoth!  lol

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

Spent endless hours in the creek down the street catching crayfish, netting pike chubs for bass/pike fishing. Carrying the minnow bucket on the bike always fun. Had to lean to the other side. Snuck a few warm Schmidts pounders from buddies dad to go fishing .

Eventually started trapping on the bike as well. Carrying a few big coon always fun as well.

We had chestnut wars (with husks on) and apple wars. Metal garbage can lids as shields. They mad a racket when you blocked one.

Used to play SWAT in the neighborhood. Had the record player on front porch with the theme song blaring,lol.

Played a lot of golf when I was young. 36 holes ,54 holes almost daily .

Played a lot with the neighbor girl too. And not golf.

Had some great wiffle ball games in the nearby schoolyard.

Rode mini bikes.

Parties. We called them Rambo fest as they were a good mile into the woods. One night it got busted by the cops. My buddy took off when the cops hit the flashlights. Another friend and I had to each grab a baby coon the other friend left behind. Both of us trying to evade and elude the police with a baby chattering coon stuffed in our shirts and peddling our bikes as fast as possible.

Frog hunting with pellet pistols. Ate a lot of frog legs back then. Getting nabbed by leaches retrieving said frogs sucked.

I miss those days.

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

I spent most of my time doing home work, studying, and memorizing verses from the Bible.

I seldom got out unless it was to deliver fresh picked flowers to the little old ladies at the nursing home.

On my way home I would stop and play with all the little kids at the orphanage.

That was only after I returned all the empties I picked up along the street and dropped the change into a homeless mans collection cup.

You guys must have lived on the wild side of town with the kids I wasn't allowed to play with,lol

• Like 5

Doewhacker, on 08 Apr 2016 - 1:31 PM, said:

It wasn't much fun wrestling Saber tooths and riding Mammoths. About the most fun he had was making a new thong out of Leopard skin.

Dang he replied as I typed this, low and behold he referenced a Mammoth!  lol

Great minds think alike...

• Like 1

I spent most of my time doing home work, studying, and memorizing verses from the Bible.

I seldom got out unless it was to deliver fresh picked flowers to the little old ladies at the nursing home.

That was only after I returned all the empties I picked up along the street and dropped the change into a homeless mans collection cup.

You guys must have lived on the wild side of town with the kids I wasn't allowed to play with,lol

I looked but couldn't find a shoveling $hit emoticon
  • Like 3

I just checked my sneakers for poop. Something started to smell funny.

:rofl:

• Like 1

I'm glad others are enjoying this topic as much as me. In this politically correct world, it is a breath of fresh air to hear "cowboys and Indians, smear the queer, and just plain old toy guns". Also nice to think about kids running wild and free just having fun and learning the ways of the world together, instead of vicariously through social media.

Some of the other things I remember doing are shooting rats at the dumps, hitting whole rolls or even boxes of caps with hammers, and laughing about our ears ringing. Getting a snow storm and building great sliding tracks with curves and ramps. We would get 6-8 of us together and challenge the dad to who could roll the biggest snowball. I have a picture somewhere of a snowball taller than all of us standing by it. We didn't need games or computers to have fun, all we needed was friends.

Growing up on a dairy farm we had chores to do at a young age, plus a little softball and other games. Built a few tunnels and forts built in the hay mow. Never learned how to hang out on streets! i told a classmate of mine some of the children do not have much innocence left when they graduate high school!

I'm getting up there in age. I grew up on Pacman, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Ghouls and Goblins, Q-bert, and Galaga. I was also a Street Fight II champion in my early high school years. Many a quarters were spend by me.

Gone are the days when placing your quarter between the screen and control deck meant you laid claim to "next".

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 2

I'm getting up there in age.  I grew up on Pacman, Donkey Kong, Centipede, Ghouls and Goblins, Q-bert, and Galaga.  I was also a Street Fight II champion in my early high school years.  Many a quarters were spend by me.

One word……PONG…… The very first and very worst video game ever..