Bow Blow Up

BKhunter

Was sighting in the bow this weekend as I bought a new spot hogg sight. Finally had it dialed in and feeling good and the string blew. Luckily I didn't get hurt but what a disaster, especially because I start my hunting league on Tuesday and now I have a bow that isn't sighted in. The shop was able to get a new string on and luckily nothing else went but man that sucked!!!

Years ago, I had a bear Whitetail Hunter where the string broke. That's when I realized that the string tension was all that held the limbs in. I still remember that loud whirring sound as the top limb went by my ear.

Was sighting in the bow this weekend as I bought a new spot hogg sight. Finally had it dialed in and feeling good and the string blew. Luckily I didn't get hurt but what a disaster, especially because I start my hunting league on Tuesday and now I have a bow that isn't sighted in. The shop was able to get a new string on and luckily nothing else went but man that sucked!!!

How old is your bow and have you ever had the strings/cables replaced prior to the detonation??

I had one blow about 5 years ago.  I was shooting in my basement when a cable let go.....at full draw no less  Something slapped my arm super bad and it hurt like a sumbiotch.  I dropped the bow, limbs and hunk of strings on the floor as I thought I was injured.  I wasn't but it scared the bi-jesus out of me.   I had a top shelf guy re-string the mess and all was well.  I sold the bow the following year as I was spooked by the thing.  Puzzy I know............... :)

I change my string and cables every 3-4 years no matter what. I would rather spend the money on knowing I am good to go instead of having to spend the money so I am good to go..

I found a guy that builds a killer set of threads for 55 dollars in any color , no reason not to change them often.Even if you just wanted to change colors.

When I first started shooting the bow I wasn't putting a bend in my bow arm so the string was hitting the arm guard a lot and I could see the string actually fray a little. I guess this is the result of shooting with improper form. The shop was nice enough to put a brand new string on right away. Now I just need to dial it back in, but like everyone said that scared me enough where now I will be over exaggerating the bend on my bow hand to ensure that doesn't happen again. 

good to hear you made out ok.  it can be bad.  lacerations with a surrounding welt on your arms or face even.  I always check my string but strings should be changed every few years.  on the outside it might look okay but as strands break over time the remaining strands stretch.  twist things back up to tune it sure but they get weaker and weaker.  at times you pull off center serving to find a fraction of the strands still holding on for dear life.  I know a guy that's blown at least three bows.  never happened to me and I don't plan on it ever happening.

good to hear you made out ok.  it can be bad.  lacerations with a surrounding welt on your arms or face even.  I always check my string but strings should be changed every few years.  on the outside it might look okay but as strands break over time the remaining strands stretch.  twist things back up to tune it sure but they get weaker and weaker.  at times you pull off center serving to find a fraction of the strands still holding on for dear life.  I know a guy that's blown at least three bows.  never happened to me and I don't plan on it ever happening.

Yea from hear on out I'm going to always have a secondary string and change them once every 3 years. I will run a few hundred arrows through this one then set up a new string so the stretched out one is my back up. Then every 3 years get rid of the most used and abused one and repeat the process. You live and you learn.

Yea from hear on out I'm going to always have a secondary string and change them once every 3 years. I will run a few hundred arrows through this one then set up a new string so the stretched out one is my back up. Then every 3 years get rid of the most used and abused one and repeat the process. You live and you learn.

with a good quality string, not necessarily expensive either, it shouldn't take many shots at all.  most of the time it's not really stretching.  the strands together and as they lay on the cams are just settling into a natural place and rotation more than anything.  zip-tie the end loops together as the string's taken off the posts so you keep the same number of twists/same length and tension if you do what you posted.  any accessories should be installed and the bow reasonably tuned before this.  your working string and accessories should match your backup string set exactly.  don't use a different xyz string or different peep or anything different.  switching to the backup string, it'd still need to be verified as sighted in and checked for everything else. this includes putting a dozen or maybe less arrows through it to get the string re-settled. just having a new string still in the packaging will serve you well though without going above and beyond.

Are there any indicators that I should be looking out for?  I've had my bow for several years now and never changed the string but I probably also don't shoot as much as I should.

whether or not you see any wear, I would change it every 2-3 years, I just changed the one on my Hoyt that was about 3-4 years old and saw a marked improvement in speed.....I guess they stretch over time, I won't wait that long in the future.

• Like 1

Are there any indicators that I should be looking out for?  I've had my bow for several years now and never changed the string but I probably also don't shoot as much as I should.

your serving can be still tied and not hanging but if they stretch you'll sometimes notice gap(s) in the serving.  spots around the end loops and where the string with serving comes around posts or turns in the cams are always spots to watch.  when your bow is at rest you might see a lot of serving wear on the end where it wraps around the cam.  that's a place you're always resting it on something or making contact when not drawn.  around the peep strands can break or fray more.  how worn the center serving is where you knock your arrow is another spot to watch.  your string should never look overly dry and fuzzy.  it should look smooth and slick or it needs replacement and/or you're not waxing it often enough.  don't use something like a piece of leather to work in a harder wax.  the friction and heat will prematurely wear the string.  just get a good, soft, wax to begin with and just spread it along the strings and cables with your fingers to coat the outside.  excess is removed.  don't wax the serving. only the bare portions of the string.  if your peep doesn't come around or stay aligned consistently enough that it's blatantly obvious, your string is probably broken down enough that you could benefit from replacing it.  even if it looks fine.

• Like 1