Generator

tj1187

Looking to purchase a  generator.  Would like it  for back up power in case of power outage (refrigerator, freezer and a few lights only) and during hunting season to power a  28 foot camper ( hunting camp ).  What are you using or recommend? Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Love my Honda EB3000c but you should look hard at the Honda EU2000i.....not cheap of course but top notch equipment that will last many years.

I agree on the Hondas,  in 2008 I bought an EU2000i used it for the camper, ran electric chainsaw off it, kept a chest freezer running in the truck bed for meat, the only thing it would not do was start the A/C, 13,500 btu,  I bought a second eu2000i and paralleled them and it was perfect.

I sold the one Eu2000i and parallel kit with the trailer but kept one for general use, bowfishing lights, etc since they are so easy to carry.

you can also hook up a tri-fuel carb to them which is neat, keep an eye out for a used one or two, I'll be selling this one when I am back east around the holidays but I'm not anywhere near you, it's in SW Vermont.

I'd have kept it and used it here in WY but the whole house is electric out here, it's a 4500 watt hot water heater, so even the two eu2000is would not have done it, add in the electric heat, water pumps, washer dryer, microwaves, tvs,...nope. they ain''t gonna do much. But I had zero problems with them the whole time I had them, other than bad gas now and then.

15 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

I'll be selling this one when I am back east around the holidays but I'm not anywhere near you, it's in SW Vermont.

If you're taking I90 when driving back to VT, keep me in mind on the Honda.  I'm only a or two off the exit and could meet you.  Just a thought.......

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

If you're taking I90 when driving back to VT, keep me in mind on the Honda.  I'm only a or two off the exit and could meet you.  Just a thought.......

I don't have it here, it's in VT, the whole house is going for sale , I am going home to the north country to spend the holidays with family and mother then to bennington Vermont to finish cleaning out that house hopefully everything gets gone and the house is on the market asap

2 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

I don't have it here, it's in VT, the whole house is going for sale , I am going home to the north country to spend the holidays with family and mother then to bennington Vermont to finish cleaning out that house hopefully everything gets gone and the house is on the market asap

10-4........

• Like 1

Honda EU2000i here....

Run computer, charge batteries, fridge, a few lights when power is out (fairly frequent here til major transmission line upgrade was done);  it sips fuel and is very quiet. Occasionally on a job or in woods for saw/tools and is easy to carry.

Good system to drain carb fuel bowl for storage, one screw.

I'd need way more if I wanted to run well pump, and a barrel of water covers that.

Another happy Honda 2000 user here. Even if you need a bigger unit for the house, you'll find plenty of uses for a Honda, and they are near about indestructible, can barely hear them run,and use little fuel.

i have a neighbor that uses a 6500 watt generator a few hours a day during an outage, but turns that off at night-the Honda can run his furnace blower, a freezer, and a refrigerator all night for a gallon of gas.

I have a John Deere 4.4 kw that runs my entire house including boiler. I bought it 6yrs ago and it ran 3 trash pumps in 3 different house in Owego after the flood of 2011 to pump basements out of my neighbor's homes. The only issue is it is pull start (which I am looking into using 12v starter to get it running. I recommend it whole heartedly.

Edited by Big John

Generac whole house generator, comes on automatically when the power goes out. No going out outside in the elements at all. To me it was worth the money .you could then by a Honda for camp like I did .

Edited by sbuff

We love our Yamaha 3000. Whisper quiet (until the mice chewed up the insulation!), Be sure to plan for whatever you may want to run. I have run our concrete mixer, jack  hammer and and air conditioner, when it gets really hot at night. (not all at once). A 2000 would probably be a bit light for stuff like that, but if  you are planning on doing any work around the place, make sure you have the juice. Best yet, it  will run approx. 12 hrs a fill with a good load..

As that is locked up in our steel  storage unit, I also have a cheapie Harbor frt. 700 watt 2 stroke (88.00 with coupon!!!) we have for  friends who  may use the camp. it is kept inside so they can just carry it out, if they want to run fans , blow driers , etc.

I also bought a Generac whole house generator this past spring . Power goes out 3 - 4 times a year and if we aren't home and the sump pump doesn't run = flooded basement . I will probably give my portable Generac generaror to one of my sons . The whole house generator self tests every Sunday at 8:30 am . 

6 minutes ago, hunterman7956 said:

anyone try propane ? stores for years and doesn't go bad like gas nor is it dangerous..

You use the same gas in your lawnmower, why would you have it sitting around for years? Just refill your gas can when it gets low. 5 gallons should get you by long enough to get to the gas station and get more. Or if you dont mow your own lawn etc, dump i in your car every now and again and then refill the can.

Generac whole home generator here. Runs pretty much entire house minus one or two bedrooms. I too have a sump pump that needs to keep basement from getting wet. Self tests and runs for 10 mins every Thursday at 9am. I think my tank is 100 gallons. It hasn't been filled in a year. I think it's at 90% still. Runs great and it's awesome to not have to worry about power going out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, hunterman7956 said:

anyone try propane ? stores for years and doesn't go bad like gas nor is it dangerous..

Smaller Honda can be converted to run on propane for around 150-200; making them 3 fuel, propane, natural gas, or gasoline.

Supposed to extend life of engine going to propane.

• Like 1