LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

A short time ago a fat reddish colored squirrel climbed up a tree trunk next to me if it hadn't been for the tail I might have mistaken it for a wood chuck. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maybe that's what woodchucks do when they are in the woods.

I am not to optimistic tonight! I decided to hit a spot I have not been in a couple years. Walked the climber way the hell in to a spot I wanted and some dang kids had built up a huge tent fort camp. Figured that would not work. Hiked to another stand site and so grown up no shooting lanes left. So hiked to a third spot and I could only get up maybe 12 feet do to all the shit grown up. Now I'm all sweaty and mosquitos are attacking me. I got like 3 lanes and it's so dim out I'm scared I won't see a limb if a deer was stupid enough to come to me! I do have like 6 scrapes within sight of me though. SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i just came back to the house, was planning to tip toe to my spot to sit till dark.  I checked my first cam on site, 0 pics in 4 days, wentbto the second cam which is where I was planning to hunt.  Couple doe on cam thats all. This spot had several does, and bucks headed to a house in the distance who have apple trees in there yards.  This week of last season had all kinds of bucks mid morning.  This year there trees have zero apples.  So im not sure where the deer are feeding this year at this point in season.  Pretty much big woods, zero farms for about 30 miles.  Stumped.  

• Like 1

Breathe... I was reading moogs story of his buck today and decided I'd do some grunting myself. A few minutes later a big buck came in and wouldn't come closer than 50 yards. Too far for me and it was getting dark. Not bad to sit for 9 hours and then see that. Whew. I'll be back there for an appointment with him in the morning. Thanks moog

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zag said:

If I used a safety harness I'd take a nap, one squirrel here thus far

None of us used to use them either...USED TO use them. Now we all do after my father was in a stand, had some ice on the platform, fired at a buck with the muzzle loader, slipped in the smoke screen, fell about 15-20. Landed on the muzzle loader barrel and bent it, cracked multiple ribs, bruised both lungs, lost consciousness for approx 30 mins or more. When he came to and was found be my two uncles, tracks in the snow indicated he did about 40-50 laps around the base of the tree.....

We all wear harnesses now

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

Breathe... I was reading moogs story of his buck today and decided I'd do some grunting myself. A few minutes later a big buck came in and wouldn't come closer than 50 yards. Too far for me and it was getting dark. Not bad to sit for 9 hours and then see that. Whew. I'll be back there for an appointment with him in the morning. Thanks moog

Used sparingly when you can't see the buck and aggressively when you can but they won't commit.  Helped me with my buck last year and this year.  I even threw in a snort wheeze last year out of desperation and it sealed the deal.  I never really used a grunt tube before.  Now it's a must have for me.  

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Raul2145
      Hi Everyone, 
      It is current the last week for regular season in upstate NY. Living the life working and being a full time student, I have some time off this week and would like to take a ride upstate to do a gun hunt. Never have I hunted public land in the areas 3 G, F, or N and was looking for some recommendations and help! I had used the DEC info locator and found California Hill and thought I might go there. Is there any recommendations on areas to go to in any of the wmu’s? Or on California? Any help would be really appreciated!! 

best of holiday wishes! 

• By Francesco B
      Hello everyone I’m currently looking at a house in deposit ny I’ve been deer hunting for many year mainly in Columbia and Greene county never been to Broome county. Before anything I was just curious how is the hunting there ? I know there aren’t any antlered restrictions in Broome but are there monsters out there or is it mainly just small spike? If anyone from that county or knows about deposit and broome county would get back to me i would appreciate it. Hope everyone hunting today catch a big one thanks.
    • By Ainsley Ash
      The procedure below to carry the bow is detailed below:
      You have to use a cotton towel or something similar. You have to wrap it around the bowstring. Doing so ensures that it will not cause an injury with the bowstring coming in contact with your body. It will not be that sharp either. Once you cover the bowstring with the towel, you have to wear it like a sling. So that it will not fall away from your body. The best way to cover the bowstring is to use a large enough towel. You can wrap it around twice as well. When making a sling out of the cotton towel, you have to ensure that you tighten it to get a snug fit. In that case, it will not slip away. Consequently, it will remain in place. When using this technique to carry a bow on your back, it is essential to practice before going in the wilderness. Only when you can move briskly and without noise using the scanning mechanism should you go ahead with it. To remove the bow, you have to hold it at the bottom. After that, you have to slip it over your head as well as arm. Doing so ensures that you can remove it quickly. When trying to focus on a prey, you need to remove the bow quickly. The technique for removal that we have highlighted above can certainly help you do so.
    • By Toth9050
      I'm new to the area and looking for some places to hunt  the next few weekends through bow/muzzleloader season. I'm living in New Paltz, and the place that seems the most promising to me so far is Vernooy Kill State forrest, and north into Sundown. Has anyone had any luck in these areas? Is there anywhere better in the area I should check out? Any info is welcome
    • By Raul2145
      Hi Everyone,
      My name is Raul and I am a new hunter! I've been hunting public land for now, but have been suffering. I've done 2 10 hour sits at Kings Park and 3 10 hour sits at Rocky Point and haven't seen one deer. I use a treestand and use scent blocker. I also get there super early in the morning. I need help! I plan to go again this friday. I scouted Rocky point after the first day and always see sign and I try to hunt the areas, but no success. I hunt around 42 and 36 I think. If someone wants the exact spot I can send them it on a map. I am really just looking for help in any areas and everything. I have put so much effort yet all i want is to just see one that will keep moral up. Any help is really appreciated!