LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

3 hours ago, paulskodabow said:

I switched from the sluggers a few years back after several pancakes that barely penetrated a couple deer I shot and actually just broke the knee of another that I got a second chance at a few days later after I made the switch to KO's.  IMO a quality shift occurred w/sluggers about 4-5 years ago.

Never had a problem like that but i us the 3" mag sluggers .

I would like to try some Brenneke 12 Ga 3" Black Magic Slug 1.375oz 

But i cant seem to find them any place around .

And there double the price .

I usally hunt in places where shots are limited to under 75 yards anyway 

Headed out for the last 2 hours after the rain stopped.  Walking out of the basement I notice a doe and fawn at the bottom of the field, walking down the driveway I look back behind the house and here comes another doe and two fawns.  I continued across the street and saw nothing.  Walking up the driveway I see 3 behind the house and 8 below the house.  Why do I go out in the woods?  My girlfriend said a half rack came in and chased a doe out of the field.  I tried a decoy the other night when 2 of the eights were out but no luck.  I have to focus on this field but it is tough to hunt.  I would clear it in the morning and I have cleared it leaving at night.      

Another fruitless day...hit a piece of state land about 40 miles from here, spent the day and did not see a thing. Took the back roads checking fields on the way home and never saw a deer in a field until after 4:15. Between 4:15 & 4:45 counted 30 deer.

1 Group of 7

1Group of 3

1Group of 10

2 singles in separate fields

2 Groups of 4 in separate fields.

Most ironic part....not one single buck with any of them.

Here I sit 4:06 with my hot coca and English muffin, being a glutton for punishment... That 5 pt. I past last week, as he stood under my stand, pranced through my head most of last night,grunting "nana,nana boo boo that will teach you!"...lol Someone in the DEC forgot to send the memo out to the doe in 8N that they need killing, so please show up. Maybe if I plant expensive shrubbery and put a sign in my lawn that say reads:

I'm a "Towny", my lawn

Is open for lunch

Oh well off to the shower, Good Luck guys ^_^

• Like 3

Saw my target buck again last night, just too far. I've seen him 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Always has 6 does with him! Maybe keeps them so he doesn't have to roam and chase? Got to my stand an hour before daylight this morning, hoping not to bump them on my way in. Hunt #39................ I'm whooped.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I thought the same thing about how crazy bright the moon is. Its cloudy too, but that moon still lights everything up! When I got to camp, I was wondering if I had my times screwed up! I wanted to get to my stand an hour before daylight this morning.

• Like 2

I thought the same thing about how crazy bright the moon is. Its cloudy too, but that moon still lights everything up! When I got to camp, I was wondering if I had my times screwed up! I wanted to get to my stand an hour before daylight this morning.

It's crazy a cloud just covered the moon and the woods just got pitch black. Before with the moon out I could see a good 50 yards in front of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I did something I almost never do today and I brought a guy from work with me to one of the farms I have permission to hunt, I explained to him over and over that we don't shoot small bucks and not to shoot anything unless it's an 8 or has a 15" spread. Well a couple minutes ago I hear a shot and I get a text "I shot but it was along ways away, it was a buck but I don't know how big" this is exactly why I don't do this, maybe in another 5 or 10 years I'll give it another try

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

So I did something I almost never do today and I brought a guy from work with me to one of the farms I have permission to hunt, I explained to him over and over that we don't shoot small bucks and not to shoot anything unless it's an 8 or has a 15" spread. Well a couple minutes ago I hear a shot and I get a text "I shot but it was along ways away, it was a buck but I don't know how big" this is exactly why I don't do this, maybe in another 5 or 10 years I'll give it another try

Maybe it'll be booner, haha maybe that is...

Damn, now I wanna know what the buck looks like that he shot lol

• Like 1

Buckmaster...I know the feeling....brought a guy in a couple years ago who was a good friend of mine and wanted to join our lease....10/1...ten minutes after shooting time I get a text that he got a deer down. I tell him I am going to sit till 10am then I would come help...just had a 3 pt come through while typing this...anyway...I go to help and he doesn't know where he hit it...where it was standing...where it ran...I am pissed right away...I thought you said it was down...so long story short I find the deer and it is a button buck about the size of my golden retriever...he wasn't invited back

59 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What your experiencing is why I mostly hunt by myself or with a very few other longtime hunting buddies who are like brothers to me.

Edited by E J

What a difference a few days makes. Bucks were running does hard last Wed - Sat. Seemed to be deer everywhere. Walking and chasing across open fields along the highway too. Now, it seems like the woods are void of life and the nearest deer is miles away. Moon?? Did see decent movement last night before dark.

• Like 1