LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

And the saga continues, he found him after I told him to stay put and he tells me where he is and he is not even close to where he was supposed to be and I'm not even sure he is on the property I have permission to be on. The spot I told him to go is in the dead center of a 800 acre parcel with a gravel road that leads him exactly to the spot.

This is what I get for trying to be nice, he has a disabled son so he doesn't get to hunt much so I tried to be nice and help him out.

THIS IS THE LAST TIME I WILL EVER OFFER TO BRING SOMEONE HUNTING!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope he doesn't stumble across this forum! Lol.

Lockdown

That's the first thing that crossed my mind the other day when I could pull the big 8 away from the 2 does. Grunts, snort wheeze even a couple bleats. He didn't step one damn foot off those does rear ends.

I sat there after he left thinking he was acting like he's in lockdown

14 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

That's the first thing that crossed my mind the other day when I could pull the big 8 away from the 2 does. Grunts, snort wheeze even a couple bleats. He didn't step one damn foot off those does rear ends.

I sat there after he left thinking he was acting like he's in lockdown

I had the exact same thing yesterday. Great big ten with a doe and he was making sure the three bucks following them couldnt get near her. I really thought that once he and the doe moved on I'd be able to call back one of the younger ones but they couldnt have cared less about my sweet calling skillz

• Like 2

It's done it's over, he actually was on the land I have permission to hunt just no where near where I told him to be, oh well. He made a good shot and he was happy so I guess that's good, he burnt a bridge he will come to regret, I work my ass off and have thousands of acres of private land to hunt I tried to be nice and bring him along he shot a buck 5 minutes after legal shooting. His loss not mine, I have showed him pics of all the nice ones I have let go and he chose to shoot the little bugger. His loss, at least we found it and it's not wounded. Now I'm going back hunting because on the way out I saw the big boy I've been after in a field I have permission to hunt.

• Like 1

Thanks guys...The first thing Mr . B asked was ...does he smell rutty...lol Bad deer meat sticks in ones mind...So I am happy and I find it amusing I mentioned a 5pt razzing me in my dreams and at 7:15 one shows up.....

Sorry you had a problem with a guest...BuckMaster..

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Report from Dad in 3N (as of 10am):

Nothing seen till 840am when hit the grunt call. within 5 minutes a buck (at least a 6pt) came to 52 yards, but no closer. he hit grunt again at 9am and had a different deer come to 100 yards but head was blocked. Also 1 big red fox seen at 35 yards.

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Report from Dad in 3N (as of 10am):

Nothing seen till 840am when hit the grunt call. within 5 minutes a buck (at least a 6pt) came to 52 yards, but no closer. he hit grunt again at 9am and had a different deer come to 100 yards but head was blocked. Also 1 big red fox seen at 35 yards.

1040am, Dad just saw a real big 6pt cruise by at 70 yards. in 50+ years of hunting for him, this is the most amount of buck activity he has ever seen. I tagged out opening day of xbow so I haven't see any of it. I told him maybe he should just stay out of the woods till Saturday (gun opener)?

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

1040am, Dad just saw a real big 6pt cruise by at 70 yards. in 50+ years of hunting for him, this is the most amount of buck activity he has ever seen. I tagged out opening day of xbow so I haven't see any of it. I told him maybe he should just stay out of the woods till Saturday (gun opener)?

this new land you guys got seems to be pretty plentiful with game, if hes seeing activity i would stay at it 

• Like 2

this new land you guys got seems to be pretty plentiful with game, if hes seeing activity i would stay at it 

This isn't our new land. This is our old spot, that used to be 8 acres but now only really 1 spot to hunt on 3 acres because of new construction and the sale of bordering land. While there's only 1 spot left to hunt on these 3 acres it does border hundreds (if not thousands) of woods that we can't go on. I hadn't shot a buck on this land since 2012 when I started passing up anything less than a 6, so maybe several years of no bucks killed is why there are several good ones running around.

3 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

Just checked the trail cams for my little slice up here in 4L.  Nothing moving by (marsh and food plot) during daylight for the past week, and nothing moving at all after the 13th.  Lockdown up here on Taborton Mountain.

Below, you'll find a pic of what I think is a 3.5 8-point, but he only moved through at night.  He started showing on 11/9 and was a guest every night until 11/13.

And Buckmaster...  Man, that's a bad vibe that fella brought in with him, and I feel that disrespect.  I'm fortunate in that I've been allowed to hunt others' properties, and I get nervous about doing something wrong, or disrespecting wishes while there.  I hate that feeling, and I feel for ya in your current situation.  I love this hunting experience, but without an accompanying respect, it's freeloading and wanton killing, and I can't abide by that behavior.

But on a lighter note:

Congrats on the buck, Grow!  I bet those meals will satisfy beyond any fleeting moment of bragging...  It's one heck of an effort you've been putting in to get it done!

8 Point 11:11:16.jpg

That's a nice buck!  Hope he swings through during daylight hours when you are on stand and you give us another picture of you holding his rack!

Edited by adkhunter71
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

This isn't our new land. This is our old spot, that used to be 8 acres but now only really 1 spot to hunt on 3 acres because of new construction and the sale of bordering land. While there's only 1 spot left to hunt on these 3 acres it does border hundreds (if not thousands) of woods that we can't go on. I hadn't shot a buck on this land since 2012 when I started passing up anything less than a 6, so maybe several years of no bucks killed is why there are several good ones running around.

just goes to show you that passing up smaller bucks does have its benefit, may take a few years but it will pay off in the end.  props to you and your pops for being able to stick to it without killing a buck for years.  i know im going crazy not killing one for the last 5 years.

Edited by bisceglia
  • Like 1

Finally i saw a buck big body but his antlers where busted up. Also saw a mama bear and two cubs I froze solid in my tracks they never saw me unfortunately they where heading where I wanted to go.  Dropped down to where I saw the deer hung around for a little while until it warmed up. Might head back later. 

• Like 2

I noticed that all the deer at my spot were coming from infront of me in the evening.. and walking away from my cameras in the morning, so I decided to follow the trail and move my stand to a choke point where they are going to/from their bedding areas. 

I found one good spot that had some rubs and a good heavy trail. I hung my lone wolf ladder sticks and was attaching my life line when I hear crashing behind me.  40 years behind me (while i'm in the tree hanging my stand)  I see a doe walking down the path and a beautiful 8 ptr on her six.   They walked right by and headed up the hill to where I suspected they have been bedding.  

I leave for Florida tomorrow to fish for two days.. but next Wednesday its on!!

• Like 2

Another non-productive morning. One doe 75 yds away. Acted like she was spooked by something behind her and headed in the opposite direction. Taking the afternoon off & going out to dinner tonight. Two days left to try to get it done.
Congrats "Grow" on the buck. Pressure is off.:mda:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I think every crow in Rensselaer County is in the trees around me....the noise is deafening 

They were chasing them out of Albany today using all sorts of odd things. Surrounding areas are getting swamped with crows today.

Congrats on the buck growalot! Glad he's not stinky.

• Like 2

Thanks guys...The first thing Mr . B asked was ...does he smell rutty...lol Bad deer meat sticks in ones mind...So I am happy and I find it amusing I mentioned a 5pt razzing me in my dreams and at 7:15 one shows up.....
Sorry you had a problem with a guest...BuckMaster..

Cool palmation on that buck