LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Want out late because the second I started out the first time...the wind went completely WILD! So I went out to the garden stand and set up mister Bobbin head buck 25 yrds out in front and to the side of my stand. Wind had him moving so naturally, he really looked so very real. I climbed up and sat down facing the other small ridge that is the hedge row and neighbors lane way..No sooner Sat down theres the buck I'm hunting getting up from his bed nearly under the stand I have there..Seriously! He laid up there and watched me 90 yrds away setting up the decoy....Closing.... I got home to send Mr B off to camp..on the way out the door he says...I hope you kill that big one..Ha Ha!...I knew he wasn't telling me exactly what he saw the other night....trying to make me feel better..Well at least he's still alive...

Watched a small doe walk around by my stand and then eating apples for better than an hour. Was a much more comfortable sit, out of the wind. Going back to the same stand in the morning. I did leave the woods today to take my wife to lunch. It is our 38 year wedding anniversary. I was back on stand by 2PM.      :  )   

Now, I sit in the car for a while as she shops in the first mall she has been in for the past year. There is nothing anywhere close to this on the Kenai Peninsula. We are a great match, me the hunter, and she the gatherer! hahaha

I'll by her something pretty when she's not around to see. Hey look, it just happens I'm in front of Dick's Sporting Goods.  

• Like 3

Had 2 doe take their new normal route just out of range of my ladder so I got down and closed the distance to 60 was braced and had the bead on a doe broadside but balked it was 4:25 and I could barely make her out against the backdrop.  

Then I popped up a loner on my way out.  

6 seen this afternoon group doe action has been hot midday and beyond past few days.

Congrats Rock on a bruiser!

Edited by paulskodabow

Went to my spot in 7M today and got to the stand about 2:15. facing downhill, directly in the wind.  About 4 the wind picks up and it snows, hard for a while, coating the ground a nice gray. I was thinking perfect, I'll spot any movement. Not 10 minutes later there's movement but it's off almost behind me. I pick up binoculars and I can't quite pick it up in the really thick stuff. 

I'm not using my scope because I am 502 feet behind a pain in the ass (who is in law enforcement and decided to shoot into the woods a few weeks back knowing we were bow hunting- another time I'll discuss). I lose it. Did it bed? I can't believe it hasn't winded me.  

Whatever it was, was big. Found his tracks on way out where he crossed, running.  Just glad they're out. 

Nice buck Rockspec...  

Rockspek, 

way to go man ! 

Well deserved for sure. Cam pics , video   his rubs , his scrapes   You hunted him when the winds were right and put your time in. 

He's a dandy for sure. What's the celebratory beer ? It definitely ain't a Lord Hobo Consolation Prize 

Keep  in mind folks this is this gents 2nd year hunting and killed a nice buck last year too. Quick learner ! 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 3

Congrats rock. 

I took the day off from work to go up north for a late late morning attempt. 

Wind was blowing from the west. Unfortunately the only parking spot I know of is on the west side of the forest. 

Figure I'll zip across and work my way back. Of course I take too long investigating every rub, scat pile, and trekking up hills that end up being steeper than I thought. 

Finally decide I gotta stop this half assed stalking attempt and need to just get to the east end so I still have time to stalk back. 

So now I'm just zipping through crunching leaves all fast paced not caring. Not even five minutes into doing that and all of sudden I've jumped a bunch of bedded deer and I'm getting mooned by 3-4 white tails that just zip up the slope that I had just so carefully come down from. 

Judging by the scat they left behind I'm telling myself they were just does and definitely not one big buck in the mix.  

Thats my conclusion and I'm sticking to it. 

First time out saw nothing.

this the second at least I saw some booty. 

Way to go Rock! Very unique rack with ridged and stained/colored interiors.

My season probably just ended. Wife is not feeling well and our 9 month old is doing just fine. Since first light of opening day of regular season, I've seen 8 deer...all either going 100 mph or too far through thick stuff...while on stand. I'm tired, frustrated, wind burned, and tired of tree surfing. They've been zigging, when I was zagging.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Same ole same ole here...just a lot colder...high sustainable winds with 20mph gusts...going out though. Sunday morning ,when they are calling for calmer weather...I'll be getting up with my over night guest...Grandma  time,over niter.. River will have a surprise on these when he gets older...Grandma will be waking him to get dressed very early in the morning to go for a walk out to one of the blinds....:wink:

Good Luck guys...

I just re read my posts from yesterday before I shot the buck.  The smell of him was so powerful.  I kinda wonder just where he was for the first few hours of that hunt.  He had to of been close.  Crazy that he decided to come out and walk right under me.  This stand was placed where it is for my father in law to go out and read in, not hunt from.   Now that he is down I can go over and check the property for scrapes and rubs.  He was definitely rubbing on something cause he has bark on his antlers.

• Like 1