All this arguing over range

stoneam2006

I haven't shot a deer that far really at all.  I can hit it probably much further than I'd get penetration with mechanicals I'm using and 420ish grain arrows.  I could probably hit it far enough away that it'd flinch at the shot if at all but probably not feel the need to get out of the way.  I have no idea how far I'd shoot but probably a very modest yardage.  if putting a 2nd arrow in the deer though it'd be really far, like 80+ with one bow that's sight has something to reference/aim that far.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

I agree with your statement.  I'd imagine you had a lot of "chip shots" under the stand at 10 yards or less that just hit one lung.  also a lot of people probably have no idea where their bows shoot at 5 yards.

you know, glad you mentioned that, no shortage of bad shots at deer under 10 yards...steep angles are pretty challenging to those who don't practice them.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 4:51 AM, jjb4900 said:

.........there have been just as many deer wounded and lost at 10 yards as there have at 40-50 yards ............

Maybe that isn't so hard to believe. A lot of the shots at 40 and 50 yards probably are so bad they are clean misses......lol. Shots at 10 yards probably are messed up hunters melting down with buck fever.

Speaking of shooting at 5  yards...  Anyone try it?  We do a shot that is about 4-5 yards max and most of us have to use a 40 yard pin due to the arrow still rising to meet the sight pin.   Try it!   Most do not realize that 10 ft to 5 yards is a 40 yard pin.   Can't tell you how upset I was when I did this with a gun!  :search: 

• Like 2

50yrds is my max only on a dead calm animal in light to no wind conditions. I can shoot good beyond that range. But as fast as an animal can make your perfect hear shot a miss or gut or wherever shot.. i wont shoot further.. It isnt just the person, but the deer as well.. controlling where that arrow goes at that point. JMO

35 yards from a stand (25ish on level) is the limit of my comfort zone, and at that, I'd prefer the deer to be completely unaware.  In order to increase the distance, I'd like to have a faster bow with less drop in the trajectory. 

It's only my second season, but just how quickly the arrow drops gives me pause and concern on longer distances.  That's a lot of feel and experience I simply don't have at the moment.  I could compensate with flatter trajectory and greater speed off the bow, but the account says, "Nope.  You just bled me for a stand.  Maybe next year."

I also want a quieter bow.  If I could get a bow to near as silent as possible, I would be thrilled.  I really want a quieter bow.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2016 at 6:10 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Again, I'm archery illiterate  but in another 4 years we should probably see you on the USA Olympic team

Thanks, but no I can't guess distances past 30, I know a kid that is trying out for the USA team he has done very well at 3D unknown distances. There are a lot of guys out there that can shoot 50-60 yards and 1" groups. Like I said I need to know the distance I over estimate when in the stand, on the ground I'm a touch better. I'm not sure why you guys get so offensive when people post up the distances they can shoot and how well. If you want look at the single cold shots in the other thread mine at 40 and 50 both were touching the bottom of a 1" black dot on my block target. I shot the 40 and then shot the 50.

I guess these guys should be doing the Olympics.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

Speaking of shooting at 5  yards...  Anyone try it?  We do a shot that is about 4-5 yards max and most of us have to use a 40 yard pin due to the arrow still rising to meet the sight pin.   Try it!   Most do not realize that 10 ft to 5 yards is a 40 yard pin.   Can't tell you how upset I was when I did this with a gun!  kolobok_search.gif 

It's a gap for me, 35. It's funny when they have one in the 3D league and some one comes off the course and mentions it to the guys on the range everyone yells "DUDE, SHUT UP DONT TELL THEM!!" Lol
  • Like 1