general comment about Xbow

eagle rider

I gotta tell you, shooting this Wicked Ridge Xbow is about as much fun as you can you have with your pants on!  I am amazed, the accuracy, and consistency.  What was NYS waiting for all these years? Out to 40 yds, I can put 3 bolts into a 2" group.  Honestly, if I do my part the deer does not have a prayer.  No wonder the Pope outlawed them for battlefield use against christians in the 11th century. 

image1.JPG.jpeg

couple of options, they sell de-cocking bolts that have rubber stoppers on the safest, you can change a boarded to a field tip and fire it into soft earth or keep a small discharge bag target in your truck, or on your quad.  

Edited by eagle rider

When I finish a hunt, I fire a bolt tipped with a field point, of the same weight as my hunting broadheads, into a target bag.  For afternoon hunts, the bag goes under a floodlight in the back yard.  That makes it easy in the dark, with the illuminated red-dot sight my crossbow.   Placing that bolt dead center on the bullseye not only unloads the crossbow, but also builds my confidence for the next hunt.

I made a target bag by filling an empty nylon seed bag with old towels and rags.  It did not cost me a dime, stops the bolts better than those store-bought foam block targets, the bolts pull out easier, and it is lighter and easier to transport.              

A small minority of selfish, elitist bowhunters has delayed the crossbow into archery season in NY and still prevents "full inclusion".  They don't want to share "their" deer with folks who don't have the time or ability to master a vertical bow.    They would rather see motorists kill deer than "lesser" hunters.    

Edited by wolc123
addition
  • Like 4

A small minority of selfish, elitist bowhunters has delayed the crossbow into archery season in NY and still prevents "full inclusion".  They don't want to share "their" deer with folks who don't have the time or ability to master a vertical bow.    They would rather see motorists kill deer than "lesser" hunters.    

I am proudly in this group! I am also looking forward to carrying my new Xbow afield. I love that it's only 10 days of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Won't you be toting your ML over the last 7 days?   I only plan on using my crossbow if it is warm and rainy on those days up in the Northern zone (you got to keep your powder dry).  The reason for that is, I am lethal out to 125 yards with my ML and just a shade over 50 with my crossbow.  I would certainly buy some better equipment and extend that a bit if they allowed full inclusion.  Down here in the Southern zone, we have no early ML season but they allow us 14 days, at the end of archery season, to use the crossbow.  Hopefully that will be antlerless only for me this year, if I can get my ML/archery buck filled up in the northern zone next week.        

56 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I am proudly in this group! I am also looking forward to carrying my new Xbow afield. I love that it's only 10 days of the season.

I agree...I like the different seasons...wouldn't mind if they made Xbow an extra week so I could use it a little more...

• Like 1

Won't you be toting your ML over the last 7 days?   I only plan on using my crossbow if it is warm and rainy on those days up in the Northern zone (you got to keep your powder dry).  The reason for that is, I am lethal out to 125 yards with my ML and just a shade over 50 with my crossbow.  I would certainly buy some better equipment and extend that a bit if they allowed full inclusion.  Down here in the Southern zone, we have no early ML season but they allow us 14 days, at the end of archery season, to use the crossbow.  Hopefully that will be antlerless only for me this year, if I can get my ML/archery buck filled up in the northern zone next week.        

No I hunt SZ as well so I guess your right I get 3 days in NZ and 14 in SZ. Not a bad deal at all.

I quit worrying about keeping powder dry along time ago modern Inlines with a bit of tape over the barrel and you are good to go in the hardest of rains.

Do you use regular black electric tape and do you shoot thru it?    

I would like full inclusion mostly because that would make it easy for me to fill my DMP tags.   Right now, the does and fawns are still out on the clover plots feeding during daylight hours.   That always changes, after a few weeks of archery season pressure, when they become almost completely nocturnal.   I have always struggled taking does with a vertical bow because they are almost always in groups and fooling all those sets of eyes while making the draw is no easy task.  The crossbow eliminates the need to draw while they are in close, which would make it very lethal on does compared to a vertical bow.

I would not trade the first 14 days of archery season for the last however, because the last 14 days before gun season always includes the peak of the rut in the Southern zone.    That is my favorite time to hunt.                

On October 9, 2016 at 3:23 PM, wolc123 said:

When I finish a hunt, I fire a bolt tipped with a field point, of the same weight as my hunting broadheads, into a target bag.  For afternoon hunts, the bag goes under a floodlight in the back yard.  That makes it easy in the dark, with the illuminated red-dot sight my crossbow.   Placing that bolt dead center on the bullseye not only unloads the crossbow, but also builds my confidence for the next hunt.

Hmmm weak arguement as always. It's not the minority it's the majority. What happens when someone can't use a crossbow n needs to use a rifle during your season? Seasons were set to accommodate equiptment not actually you. Sorry brother. Archery seasons were set up for bows, not guns that shoot arrows. Anyone can in minutes shoot them accurately, hence you're "if guys don't have time to master a bow" is true. This is all ok, hunt the way you have time. If you can't expend the energy to practice it's not other people's problems. Try to institute the weapon in muzzleloader where it should be. Most guys don't like that option cause it may be slightly harder in that season. There is the essence of a non bowhunter. Bowhunters go for the challenge, some guys go for what's easy n then complain when they don't get their way that others are elitist. Some day I'm sure the dec will allow it, what's so bad w your 2 week start? Suck it up

• Like 2

On 10/9/2016 at 5:58 PM, wolc123 said:

I would like full inclusion mostly because that would make it easy for me to fill my DMP tags.              

Yep. And that's exactly why I like what Bowguy1 just wrote. I don't want it easier for people to fill tags. I work my silly ass off with my bow prior to season so that I'm a capable shot. I have sympathy for guys who are genuinely incapable of shooting a bow due to shoulder or something else. But, guys who don't have the time? Simply don't care. We all have the time if we make it to do whatever we want. Some people work on accuracy, others watch tv, others work long hours, others sleep. Getting good enough with a compound to be a capable hunter doesn't take much time anyway: shoot a few days/week you'll be okay. But, most people just cannot be bothered and I have no interest in making life easier for them; if they cared more they would be out there more.

As for being selfish I absolutely am being self-serving, no doubt about it. But, if you're appealing to the "less accidents" and over-population argument, you would in theory endorse opening up bow season to guns and then also bring gun season back to start on May 1st or maybe just 12 months long. We could solve the deer population in a single season with this. DMPs for everyone, use whatever gun you like.

But it's really a false argument anyway. As crossbows become more powerful and popular, having them overlap bow entirely is going to result in so many extra harvest numbers that the DEC will simply have to cut back DMP issuance or shorten the season anyway or...do what they are doing now: Bow starts Oct 1. They can do this safely because bow harvest numbers are very low. You can't have your cake and eat it, too: if everyone is walking around with a 400 FPS crossbow, harvest will be too high. Then you'll have to fight off the gun guys who are pissed at all the game the crossbow guys are taking :)

• Like 5

I am impressed Core.  You are the first anti-crossbow guy who I have seen admit his selfishness and acknowledge that crossbows are far more effective at killing doe's than vertical bows.   I would be happy if the state would just let us use them at the start of archery season (even if it is for "antlerless only"), but only in the zones where they are currently struggling to get numbers under control.    The crossbow would be more effective than a ML, if allowed then, due to it's silent report.  Letting ML's in would backfire by making the deer go nocturnal in those zones even faster than they do now.     

• Like 1

After practicing for 2 years now with the compound. And working towards better groups and accuracy at range. And then seeing my buddy pile the bolts at 40 yards after a few clicks of his scope with the crossbow the first time he ever handled one, I can see why there is animosity.

I was shocked at how immediately accurate the crossbow is. I won't lie. Made me want one.

So I can understand why it'd be overall bad if they were allowed all season. The deer population would be decimated before rut.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After practicing for 2 years now with the compound. And working towards better groups and accuracy at range. And then seeing my buddy pile the bolts at 40 yards after a few clicks of his scope with the crossbow the first time he ever handled one, I can see why there is animosity.

I was shocked at how immediately accurate the crossbow is. I won't lie. Made me want one.

So I can understand why it'd be overall bad if they were allowed all season. The deer population would be decimated before rut.

The problem is we are talking about shootimg live animals so we should be pushing the most ethical shot we can. For many people that is xbow as they don't take time to practice. I still don't think xbow will make the deer take majorly different still have to take bow class and still have to get within range. It will get more killed yes but will it kill all of them no.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, zeus1gdsm said:

cant agree with this statement more, i'm not putting xbows down at all but they are much easier to walk into the field  and take a deer home with you( eliminating all other factors). I was thinking about getting one myself for late season since i hate bow hunting in bulky winter clothing.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2016 at 8:14 PM, stoneam2006 said:

The problem is we are talking about shootimg live animals so we should be pushing the most ethical shot we can. For many people that is xbow as they don't take time to practice. I still don't think xbow will make the deer take majorly different still have to take bow class and still have to get within range. It will get more killed yes but will it kill all of them no.

Can say the same thing for gun hunters who don't practice as well.  The bow makes things easier and makes for more hunting options.  Besides if your scope is doped in whats to practice.  Climb into stand, wait for deer, lift to shoulder, put x hairs on deer shoulder, squeeze trigger, watch bolt fly through deer's chest, fist pump in the air, climb out of tree.

Can say the same thing for gun hunters who don't practice as well.  The bow makes things easier and makes for more hunting options.  Besides if your scope is doped in whats to practice.  Climb into stand, wait for deer, lift to shoulder, put x hairs on deer shoulder, squeeze trigger, watch bolt fly through deer's chest, fist pump in the air, climb out of tree.

Yep but thats the point we should encourage ethical kills for some that's a scoped rifle. Some and xbow and some compound and to be honest the only ones who really can complain are trad guys.