Bad Joojoo

mattypotpie8S

Well, I'm having one of those years. Ive hunted about a dozen and half times and have seen 1 deer from the stand. Doing everything the same as the past...spraying down, listening to trail cams, hell I haven't had an old spice shower since mid Sept., neighbors wounding deer and tromping around my best spots, it goes on and on. Deck just seems to be stacked against me. Any of you superstitious hunters have a cure before I look up witch doctor in the yellow pages?

Why are people starting to wig out? It's only been three weeks. The full blown rut is still on the horizon. Patience is a hunters best friend. Just keep hunting and get out as often as you can.

But, if you really want the number of a witch doctor, I can hook you up. The down side is, they ask for a sacrifice of three hundred chickens to Charon per deer. Might be cheaper to book a guided hunt.

• Like 3

I got real lucky the first day of the season and took a nice buck, but if we ignore that fact, my season is going similarly. I've been out an additional four times in my favorite spot and had one tiny buck walk under once. I've been out six or so times in another spot and had two deer walk by really far off just before sunset. These should be great spots!

Overall it's still been a success because of that first day (I'm not crying!), but I'm really learning I need to find new hunting grounds. I read in the live from woods thread people seeing deer all the time--and often in herds, like 5-10 at a time (!). I once saw four deer while hunting. That was it, all others are either solo or occasionally in a pair and always on the bulk of my trips I see nothing. I think my areas are just too pressured. 

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

I could lend you my lucky condom.

It's been with me when I killed nearly all of my deer, turkeys, and other critters.

Just try to be careful with it, because it's getting kinda fragile.

I've been carrying it around in my wallet since 1966.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I could lend you my lucky condom.

It's been with me when I killed nearly all of my deer, turkeys, and other critters.

Just try to be careful with it, because it's getting kinda fragile.

I've been carrying it around in my wallet since 1966.....

That doesn't sound like a lucky condom.  

• Like 5

Oh it's LUCKY alright, Moog...

However, after I get home from hunting, it's getting sorta hard to take it off, roll it back up and get it back into that little foil package..

I guess that's the cost of practicing " safe hunting".....

• Like 4

I had one of those years some time ago, in my stand day after day with just the sighting once in awhile of a doe but zero bucks. The season actually came down to the last day, it was miserable cold and windy but I made myself hit the timber that one last day of season.

As I was sitting there in the stand and the daylight waning it started to rain making this dismal season come to an end on a sour note. I looked at my watch and figured I had just about 15 minute left before I could get and head for home. Actually I was happy the countdown was on because me and the wife were going out to eat in a new restaurant that had fabulous food and I was starving and could hardly wait to get the heck out of the woods.

About that time I look down and there is a six point buck standing under the stand looking at me, I distinctly remembering saying to my self "SON OF A BITCH!" LOL.  Anyhow I took aim with my Dad's model 95 Marlin 45-70 and flattened that guy. One of those deals were I was happy but wasn't and the wife really wasn't.

Well as they say all is well that ends well, got the Deer home and hung up in plenty of time to go out and eat and kept the wife and my stomach happy.

As a old timer once said to me when on stand deer hunting "Have Patience and be Persistent my boy".

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

A fat ham, turkey and cheese sandwich usually does the trick for me.  Chips and soda optional.  

Something always happens when I am eating my sandwich, might be just as I finish or after I am done but something always happens! 

Good luck and keep at it!  The best is yet to come!

Well, I'm having one of those years. Ive hunted about a dozen and half times and have seen 1 deer from the stand. Doing everything the same as the past...spraying down, listening to trail cams, hell I haven't had an old spice shower since mid Sept., neighbors wounding deer and tromping around my best spots, it goes on and on. Deck just seems to be stacked against me. Any of you superstitious hunters have a cure before I look up witch doctor in the yellow pages?

Some of my best seasons have had the worst starts. About the only thing you could do to make it worse is stop hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Like everyone said just be persistent. The years 2013 and 2014 I didn't get a single deer so i was feeling the pressure last year. I didn't gotten a deer by gun season so i was starting to think it would be another year with no venison. On the second weekend of gun season I decided to go up for half a day because, I had a huge party to go to later that day and would be too tired. It was like 9 when I said to my self there is no way im going to get one...maybe 5 min a nice 8 came running parallel to me just 70 yards away and I got him. All in all it was maybe 15-20 seconds from the time I saw him and when I shot him. I pretty much had zero faith in any deer coming my way and the rainy weather wasn't helping but I got lucky and got it done.  This year I got a doe 40 min into my first sit so Im really not feeling the pressure. 

On 11/1/2016 at 5:56 AM, biggamefish said:

It only takes 30 seconds to make it the best season you ever had. Stick with it.

OMG, that's depressing when you look at it like that. :O Countless days of nothingness, near misses and it comes down to a 30sec adrenaline filled season. For that reason I keep going out every year for the past 50 or so. Hang in there & have hope!

BTW - Never consulted a witch doctor, but did hang a buck skull on a tree that I'd found and it has given me good mojo since.

Edited by nyslowhand