Popularity of Bow Hunting

DTG3k

Hey guys, i have never bow hunted. But am very interested in it. Where i hunt gets really crowded during gun season, and i HATE seeing other people in the woods. I was curious if Bowhunting is more or less popular then gun hunting. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

try taking it up and see if it is for you. its a nice way to get in the woods earlier. I dont know howmuch bow is unpopular to gun. id say their might be less bow hunters then gun hunters but then again each are might be different. Out here on the island bow season is our regular season and becomes quite popular here, theres alot of bow hunters here...

Becoming a bowhunter will make you a much better gun hunter, although it takes parctice the real test learning process is getting close enough to the game for a shot! As for popularity by numbers there are less than gun but the truth is you can be 50 yards from another bow hunter and be hunting a different trail/deer and not be bothered by his/her presence. Its a lot different than gun in that you need to learn about your quarry not just see it 100yrds away and pull the trigger on a gun.

You will see alot less people, provided you don't try to hunt Westchester or Suffolk counties. Bow hunting is gaining more popularity every year with outdoor enthusiasts  looking to extend their seasons. In more densely populated areas,  you can get permission to bow hunt a bit easier than gun hunting.  One BIG difference between gun & archery is, your nerves WILL be tested to the max when that deer is close enough to spit on.. Hard to explain, but the rush, when it happens is worth it..

If you don't know if you will like I would look for some used equipment to start out.  You can find some pretty curent model bows for decent prices.  Start there that way you won't be dolling out 1000 dollars for something you might not like.

Bow hunting is a much more peacful experience and you don't see as many people.  You do still get your fair share of idiots though.  I hunt public land and every year I get someone who walks right under my stand then wants to talk like we are great friends sitting at a diner.  You can't get away from people unless you are on private land but you get alot less during bow season.  If you are willing to walk 20 minutes or more you even see less.  good luck bowhunting is an awsome experience specailly that first encounter with a bow in hand.  Nothing like it.

I gave bowhunting a try once. No one told me about the possible side effects.

My second time out I had a doe work her way to within ten yards of me. I thought I was gonna drop dead right there! My heart was trying to burst out of my chest, I kept forgetting to breathe, my legs where shaking and I was so dizzy I almost keeled over! Geeesh! I didn't even remember why I was there in the woods!

After that encounter I needed more. I was addicted and the only fix was to go out as often as I could. It's been over thirty years and I still need my seasonal fix.

If you give it a try and like Bowhunting , it will change you forever. For the better.

This forum has a lot of experienced bowhunters, so ask lots of questions and good luck.

Becoming a bowhunter will make you a better hunter overall. The art of getting closer to animals. The acquired skills of woodcraft and becoming a good archer. Early Archery and even Late Archery seasons are "pristine" seasons. You will love it. But like anything else, you will get out of it, what you are willing to put into it.

Becoming a bowhunter will make you a better hunter overall. The art of getting closer to animals. The acquired skills of woodcraft and becoming a good archer. Early Archery and even Late Archery seasons are "pristine" seasons. You will love it. But like anything else, you will get out of it, what you are willing to put into it.

:D:)

If you truly think you would like bowhunting, here's what I did.

Keep in  mind that bowhunting is more expensive to get started in than gun hunting.

Start out with a decent, used bow!!! Shoot it for a year or two, then use the $$ you've saved to get a new bow or a better used one.

Even if you upgrade the sight or splurge for a few "add-ons", you still end-up with $$ in your pocket starting out "used".

Visit a few archery shops. Act like you're interested in a new bow, have tons of $$$ and would like to shoot some.

They'll be more than happy to measure your draw length and set you up to try one out. Try out different releases if they have them.

To start out, ask for a bow with a larger brace height. Google the trade-offs of speed vs accuracy for a beginner.

If you liked the experience of shooting a bow, multiply that by 1000 to match the thrill of seeing that 1st deer at 25 yds and you're at full draw.

Now you'll know what to look for in a used bow. Get a decent, name brand bow to begin with.

Do your research, read reviews, archery forums, etc. Bewarned - Every hunter is different and has their own preferences & opinions.

And then there is the selecting of arrows, broadheads, scent killers, attractants, camo clothing, stands, ..........................

It'll be as expensive an experience as you allow it to be.

There's no way to explain the thrill or adreneline rush of that 1st decent buck at 20 yds or less. Your heart will be jumping out of your chest!!!

After that, you're hooked for life!!

Start small, shoot big.

try traditional archery first... cost is minimal... and in my opinion it is a ton more fun.... yardage is limited to 20 yards and in, but thats ok.. you don't want to be shooting at anything farther than that in the beginning anyway...for a couple hundred bucks you could be ready to hunt in no time... just remember.. practice practice practice

The jump into Bowhunting is unlike buying a rifle and just sighting in. As it's been mentioned, getting the bow you pick out set up for your draw is extreemly important. And yeah the costs can add up. Including good arrows, broadheads, targets etc. I would just like to add if you find a shop that lets you try some Bows, make sure you don't dry-fire, & never do that with your Bow either.

I understand the hesitation, it's not just the cash. I mean I treasure all my guns & had some kind of success or use with them. But there are some who slab down for a bow and never realy take to it, wind up selling it or it never sees it's full potential. Some might not take to having to wait for the perfect shot, or the extra patience, or letting deer pass  because the angle or unclear lane etc. Part of your investment will be time.

Now what am I talking about? Well I haven't been Bowhunting for that long realy, just a few years. But I'm a bit stubborn and I stuck to it & had one of my best ever seasons last year, because of Bowhunting. There were moments when I thought about giving it up. And now, I'm almost angry about not having gotten into it 10 years ago.

What was the closest deer you shot, or do you like Turkey hunting? If you can answer oh 30 yards or closer to either chances are Bowhunting can be good to you. I'm going to presume your ok with moderate heights of 15-20'. Which brings me to one other important item - also mentioned by others - Practice! If you can practice from an elevated position. And remember to bend with your shot - there's a term for that. It has something to do with the angle and if you shoot like your on the ground you'll be off target. And having your back & muscles in shape for shot time pays off. You could be at draw for longer then you expected. Practice a few shots sitting down, you'll see how things change. If you have a friend to shoot with it helps pass time and keep up the enthusiasm. Try not to push so many shots at once when your first going at it. Trust me getting tired out produces frustration besides it's no fun looking for stray arrows or noticing you just launched a 10$ arrow into a post or tree. Btw you may get varied opinions on this but I think practicing at 10 yards is useless. 20 & 30 out to 40 once your tuned up and have some shot confidence.

Aside from Bowhunting I've found the practice is an excellent way to blow off a little steam and relax doing something I realy like. And back to Bowhunting it could open opertunities & spots you might not have had before.

Good Hunting.

I would still practice at 10 yards and even closer from an elevated position hate to miss a shot on a deer that sneeks in...think its easy try it.... I am a much better shot at longer ranges than I am at extreemly close shots..

I cant add much to what these guys have already said.

In short i would look at it this way.

If you like -

Sitting all day in dead silence

Not seeing another soul all day (or if you do having deer work through right after them).

Seeing more of a deer than a white puff bounding away.

Not freezing your @$$ off (some of the time anyway).

Seeing natural deer behavior

A challenge

Shaking when a doe strolls by

Feeling your knees buckle, heart race and breath heavy when a buck walks in.

or your stomach turns into knots, you have physical trouble standing and or pulling your bow back, hyperventilating, and your brain turning to overall mush when a really nice buck walks in

Then by all means try it.

If you don't like the above and want to continue with the elbow to elbow crowd in the pumpkin patch. Where every one ate to much chili and drank to much beer the night before and cant stop passing gas. Where you get to your spot a hour before the crack of dawn only to have a guy sit on top of you come daybreak. Where I had a really good shot and don't know why I didn't hit him really means It was only a 200 yard shot and i put four rounds three feet over his back.

Then by all means keep hunting in the gun season.

DISCLAIMER: I love gun season so long as it is with the right company and on the right piece of property. Good company can be hard to find or at-least company where you are in there presence and you don't have to fear for your life.

And here is my 2cents on the equipment.

Used or Traditional gear. Nothing special.

Most important part practice, practice, practice, practice, you get the point.

Learn as much as you can about the animal you are hunting.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.

Scout the property you hunt and learn about terrain layout and how the wind moves.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.  :-\

I cant add much to what these guys have already said.

In short i would look at it this way.

If you like -

Sitting all day in dead silence

Not seeing another soul all day (or if you do having deer work through right after them).

Seeing more of a deer than a white puff bounding away.

Not freezing your @$$ off (some of the time anyway).

Seeing natural deer behavior

A challenge

Shaking when a doe strolls by

Feeling your knees buckle, heart race and breath heavy when a buck walks in.

or your stomach turns into knots, you have physical trouble standing and or pulling your bow back, hyperventilating, and your brain turning to overall mush when a really nice buck walks in

Then by all means try it.

And here is my 2cents on the equipment.

Used or Traditional gear. Nothing special.

Most important part practice, practice, practice, practice, you get the point.

Learn as much as you can about the animal you are hunting.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.

Scout the property you hunt and learn about terrain layout and how the wind moves.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.  :-\

I couldn't have said it better myself.  But I will add one more thing.  KIDS!  Bowhunting has allowed me to take my kids out with me AND THEY SEE DEER!  I have taken my kids gun hunting with me 4 times.  They freeze and have not seen a deer in 3 years.  I put my kids in a pop-up blind with me.  Want to try a new rush?  Try the experience of the look on your kids faces when they have a doe feeding 10-20 yards away from them.  WITHOUT a single doubt, bowhunting has secured my kids love of hunting.  As they say in the commercials....PRICELESS!

• 2 weeks later...

try traditional archery first... cost is minimal... and in my opinion it is a ton more fun.... yardage is limited to 20 yards and in, but thats ok.. you don't want to be shooting at anything farther than that in the beginning anyway...for a couple hundred bucks you could be ready to hunt in no time... just remember.. practice practice practice

Agree with everything NYA. said. Except it is not cheap.You get what you pay for. Although a decent beginner bow, say a Fred Bear Montana Longbow will go for 325 or so.Arrows another hundred, armguard & glove/tab and quiver - depends on how fancy and what you want to spend figure at least another 125. I suppose that is still a heck of a lot cheaper than the compound market and accessories. But if you get bitten by the traditional bug... 1) you will love it, 2) you can spend just as much and more on custom bows, as well. I have been traditional only for well a few decades. 

I picked up a nice Bear 45# recurve off Ebay a couple years back for $75.. I bought my Martin 60# for $150 used ...both are beauties and shoots like champs... Like anything else you're right... you get what you pay for, having to buy just a bow and some arrows.. without all the other gadgets can bring the price down considerably. I use a $10.00 glove for shooting finger... I made a map tube quiver, which is my favorite quiver I have ever owned, for under $20. the most expensive thing I have purchased are my cedar arrows which cost me $125/doz... but you can buy much cheaper arrows and broadheads that work just fine.

NYA... this is true. There can be good deals to be found on @Bay. And as they say, "some too good to be true". If one is willing to check out the yard sales and antique / used items stores, you can find a good bow if you look. The only problem with buying a 40 year old bow off of @bay.. is.. it may last several years or blow up after 10 shots. You just never know. Arrows like you say can also be cheap or elaborate and I make my own. Cedar today is not the cedar of 40 and 50 years ago. Cedar today is all new growth not old growth. Art Young preferred Douglas Fir (and so do I), but when Howard Hill endorsed cedar everyone jumped on the that bandwagon. Ceder, Lodgepole Pine (Chundo), Doug Fir, Sitka Spruce and Laminated Birch all make good shafts for softwoods. For heavier bows 60# and more Hirkory is probably the toughest shaft there is. Some prefer Ash but Ash warp easy and hard to straighten. Not that Hickory is better in straightening department, but hickory is just a better wood. 

I agree with you about Martins too. Many Trad Archers will say "oh it's a production bow". BS... Martin makes beautiful, solid bows and each one today is still individually made, no two of the same model are exactly alike.