February warm temps

genesee_mohican

Does anyone remember the cold February and deep snow we had 2 winters ago?  ( The average high in Feb was 12 F and we needed snow shoes to get around in the woods. )

It's hard to believe we are seeing high 50's mid 60's this Feb, with nightly lows above freezing in the forecast.  It has to be throwing mother nature into a state of confusion, buds will be coming out ect.  It's nice to have warm weather and everything, but it will most likely get really cold again, before our actual spring arrives.

Personally I'll take it ! I don't care much what it does to the birds, bees or buds, I can walk our dog around the block and not slip and fall on ice, car's clean, and one,layer is all I need outside, not to ,mention the low RG&E bills .

Should be our last full winter up here , it's a great one to go,out on !

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

Does anyone remember the cold February and deep snow we had 2 winters ago?  ( The average high in Feb was 12 F and we needed snow shoes to get around in the woods. )

It's hard to believe we are seeing high 50's mid 60's this Feb, with nightly lows above freezing in the forecast.  It has to be throwing mother nature into a state of confusion, buds will be coming out ect.  It's nice to have warm weather and everything, but it will most likely get really cold again, before our actual spring arrives.

Looking at the way the deer are out there eating the way they are by me ( most of the day ) And by no way are they under nurished this year ( not a bone to be seen on them) I think we might be in fore something after this nice weather breaks .

15 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I always worry a bit about the fruit and nut trees, but overall I'll take the early warm weather any day.

This was one of the few years I had apples where I hunt in a long time. It gets warm , trees bud and flower and zap ! A frost gets 'em

Brother just had 25 turkeys cross his yard. No long beards but some jakes that went into half strut.

This is good for the deer and turkey to go into the spring with very few winter killed. Will help areas that have seen a drop off in populations, come back a bit. And areas that have solid populations, could get more DMP's for hunters, and older tom's to take. Could be a win, win, all around!

19 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

I love this weather the older i get the more i hate the cold and snow......

A fresh snow fall is beautiful , and a storm that shuts things down , the quiet and peacefulness as one just holes up at home is relaxing .

Thats good for about one week, then give me warm temps and sun !!!!

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Now wait a minute folks. Winter has not thrown in the towel yet. Some of the most devastating storms that we have gotten in the past have come in March. I can't remember the year, but I do remember one year where I had to hire a payloader to clear the driveway after one of those March storms. No pick-up truck with a plow could handle the 3+ feet of wet, sloppy-gloppy snow that came that year and my 1000' was not something where shoveling by hand was even considered.