Spring turkey hunting and ticks

turkeyfeathers

55 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I've had many embedded over the years but always got them off within a few hours,

Rule of thumb is:   At least 36 to 48 hours of feeding is required for a tick to have fed and then transmit the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.

Bad News is:       There is no benefit of blood testing for Lyme disease at the time of the tick bite; even people who become infected will not have a positive blood test until approximately two to six weeks after the infection develops (post-tick bite).

Rule of thumb is:   At least 36 to 48 hours of feeding is required for a tick to have fed and then transmit the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.
Bad News is:       There is no benefit of blood testing for Lyme disease at the time of the tick bite; even people who become infected will not have a positive blood test until approximately two to six weeks after the infection develops (post-tick bite).

Well there u go. I thought 24hrs. If you can't shower, jump in pool, or have someone check you within 36-48 hours then I guess you're in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is some dispute about the length of time it takes a tick to transmit Lyme.  It's important to know that deer ticks have different life stages and the smallest larval stage is extremely tiny and hard to see!  I have been bitten and treated for Lyme.  I had the bullseye rash but got the antibiotics right away and had no long term effects.  There are also other nasty diseases that are transmitted by ticks.  Every creature has its niche in nature I guess but really, whose idea was these dang ticks???  Permethrin on my clothes works for me, I try not to get it on my skin.  I believe this is the same chemical, in a higher dosage, that is used to treat humans for head lice.

Simply put it is worth the extra small effort to protect yourself if you are in an area like this.  In Hamilton county where I like to hunt they are not an issue but Suffolk county is infested with ticks so all those clothes get doused.  It is worth every penny! 

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1

I've too sprayed all sort of stuff.  They still crawl on me.   Also, lyme disease isn't the worst one.  Babeosis is another.  There is another even worse one than that too, anaplasmosis.   Even the lyme disease test is so-so.  70% accurate, and it's not a yes or no it's like a 1-12 concentration.   And if you never had lyme, you can show up like a 1-3.  they debate what response number is a yes or no too.

IF you do get it,  it's a battle of attrition.  antibiotics alone will not fix it.  You need to keep yourself healthy, no one pill will do it.   Eat well, make sure you get vitamins and minerals you need.   Get enough sun.  Get enough rest........    Antibotics is not the end all to it.  But, it's needed.  You're dealing with an internal infection.   The stuff hides where your circulatory and immune system do not get enough circulation.......

what I do....   Gave up pheasant hunting.   Just get covered.......... not worth it.

I stand hunt until a few freezes, then when they're not out, the woods is mine..  I wander all over, but still act like I may get it.

Soon as I am done in the woods, I change clothes.  I shower.  I tuck my socks over my pants.   I check myself.

Hunters do get it, but it's when you're at home more often.  

You could be in an infested area, but you need contact where they hang out.  A branch or two in open forested areas, no problem.  Start walking deer trails or in the high grass, you'll get bombed.   There's spots where youll get a dozen ticks just walking 100 yards in grass. 

Edited by sailinghudson25
  • Like 1

24 to 36 hours is horse crap.   You take the 1 day dose anytime a tick give you a welt.......

IF a few weeks later your'e not feeling right, go back and take a 1 month dose of antibiotics.  Like I said before,  the test isn't accurate, it isnt definite, and it doesnt matter if the tick gave you something else.......

However, keep in mind antibiotics can be bad for you.  I wrecked my gut by killing the good bacteria and letting the bad take over.....   Take a probiotic, learn what prebiotics are, and learn the signs of bad bacteria infestations.....    It sucks............

Edited by sailinghudson25
  • Like 2

I hunt in northern Columbia County. The ticks are thick up here. Last fall, I was in a rush to get on stand for the first time this season , and didn't spray anything down. I walked 200 yrds thru 8" field grass.  I sat up in my ladder stand and picked 54 ticks from the outside of my camo. I'm sure there were many more I didn't see. 

I sprayed the boys camo and mine yesterday.  I'll use deep woods off on hands, ankles, neck ect tomorrow morning.  We've got 500 yards of field to walk across in the morning.  Hopefully I'll have a decent barrier between the little buggers and ourselves.  

• 4 weeks later...

Weekend before last I was up the cabin and got a tick, a big grey one and didn't find it till the next day,all dug in. Now I have to see the doctor on Saturday and see what he says. No bulls-eye but still a red area. That was near Parish in West Amboy. Ticks suck....

Seconds ago I just sprayed the heck out of daughters gear and mine with Sawyers. One whole bottles worth Not taking any chances with her as I do everything every day to protect her. Lyme is irreversible. Be safe folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve D said:

So what was the outcome??? Hope it came out well. I can attest watching one wither away knowing you can't help them is not fun.

They did a 4dx and there was a very faint positive sign, they ran again and still faint. He is getting the doxy.  Sorry about yours

Thanks for the reminder...I'll spray mine ag a in today...between the black flies and everything else out there,I can't tell where these bites are coming from. As hot as it is, I wear my work out tights and turtle necks under the sprayed clothes all tucked in and socks pulled over. With the bee net over my hat. That tick I found on me has me itching all over any time I'm out and all creeped out about things in my ears! Damn Wrath Of Khan movie...never go over that scene....

Edited by growalot

there's a lot of long standing myths about ticks, including the time limit to where you're safe.  like a couple others said it's BS. anytime a tick bites you, the risk of infection is real.  obviously the sooner you get it COMPLETELY you're better off and reduce the chance.  tests give false negatives.  older outdoorsman i know of felt like he had it, got tested negative and then got tested out of state and it came back positive.  younger guy i know of face planted while getting out of bed one morning, then was bed ridden for days.  father in-law didn't have a tick on him but saw the bite site.  he went from a stout electrician carrying multiple sections of conduit and large rolls of wire at a time to barely being able to get out of chair.  caused him to retire many years early.  tell me that doesn't mess with life plans.  was a whore of a tick too, as he had 4 out of 5 types from the one bite.

aside from showering and checking as soon as i get home.  my outer layers go in ziploc storage bags.  i've got more permethrin on standby.  i also wear Under Armour Compression Heat Gear that covers from shoulders to my ankles and wrists.  also i've got the O'Tom tick twisters for removal.  for the love of God don't smother the things to make them back out, especially with the essential oil remedies that are all over the web and social media right now.  that increases likelihood of getting infected.

26 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Does Sawyers make a product you can spray down your yard with? I couldn't do my whole yard but would do where the dog can go which is also where the swing set and pool is. 

Google or look for Ortho Home Defense.

I've only had a few ticks on me over the years with MOST of the contact coming from handling deer carcasses post hunt.

I've always heard ticks will jump off a carcass as it begins to cool, but I can tell you without a doubt that isn't always the case even days after hanging in sub freezing temps as I've discovered while butchering days later.

Just this past weekend I was working with a small old piece of rawhide deer skin I had stashed away with the hair still on for a knife sheath. After I re-hydrated the skin in a bucket of clean water and began to work with it, I noticed two tick "skeletons" stuck to my piece even though that skin had been off the deer for well over two years.

They've really never been of much concern to me until they started showing up on just about every deer I've killed in the last 5 years, and a few random hitch hikers while out on the summer trails. Not sure if they are just starting to boom in my area, or if I just never noticed them before. What I do know is that they seem to be becoming more common in this area I never had to worry about before.

On Wednesday I went out to feed my 2 beagles in the morning. My male beagle Butch was acting sluggish and ate his food slowly, which is unusual for him. Later that day he vomited his food and was acting more sluggish. Yesterday morning I went out to feed the dogs again and Butch would not come out of his doghouse. I thought he might be dead inside. I looked inside and he was laying down barely able to stand. I got him out of the doghouse and he could barely stand up and had a hard time keeping his eyes open. He tried to urinate and have a bowel movement, but could not. He would not even smell his food. I called the vet and she said to bring him in right away. I told her about his symptoms and she immediately took blood and ran a test for lyme disease which tested positive. He was given an injection of antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory drug. I was given antibiotic and anti-inflammatory pills to give him. This morning, just 1 day later, he is much better. He ate this morning and was able to relieve himself, but was still just a bit sluggish. He should be fine after a few days. This disease is very serious and something you should do everything to avoid.

valoroutdoors.com

• Like 1