Ticks!!!!!

growalot

Now I'm a crazed tick watcher because I have an allergy to deet...So never do I leave my house that the pants aren't tucked into my socks and I have long sleeves on...90's doesn't matter...I went for my morning walk and to check cams and I'm sitting here reading the NYODN when I feel something walking across my chest..Damn if it isn't a tick! Off to take another hot shower.....Be careful out there...

• Like 1

Can also pick them up from our pets. Maybe that's where yours came from this morning growie? From what I've seen so far, this year is going to be bad for the crawllies. I really do despise them things! Do all you can to protect yourselves and young ones while out there.

• Like 1

Good stuff that Sawyers! I use it too. But remember, nothing is 100% . Always check for them crawllies when you get in and a shower always helps! Lyme disease is potentially life changing in a bad way. Just a friendly reminder, with turkey season so close. 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2017 at 10:35 AM, growalot said:

Now I'm a crazed tick watcher because I have an allergy to deet...So never do I leave my house that the pants aren't tucked into my socks and I have long sleeves on...90's doesn't matter...I went for my morning walk and to check cams and I'm sitting here reading the NYODN when I feel something walking across my chest..Damn if it isn't a tick! Off to take another hot shower.....Be careful out there...

Does Deet work on ticks? I didn't think it worked on them that's why you need the permethrin for horses. If you have a sprayer take the time to pick up some permecetrin II it's a pesticide no license needed to buy and kills all those little critters, ticks, fleas, spiders, beetles, lots and lots of other little squirmys. Last I knew it did not effect bees so you won't harm the honey bees in the area. Here is a link to the stuff. We spray around our house and cottage 2 or 3 times a year, it kills on contact usually doesn't have a long residual effect in the rainy season.

https://www.qcsupply.com/media/pdf/540195_Info.pdf

Hey between bugs and an issue with chemicals( Mr B took me to a job he did in Kodak...He built the big concrete chemical bunkers there years ago...drove me through the gates and half way to the site we had to turn around because  I couldn't breath)...and skin cancer runs rampant in my family...Our daughter had cancer removed from her thigh when in her 20's... I take few chance...So add a big floppy hat to that Belo ,just to complete your imaginings of me.

• Like 1

Being an Entomologist, I've worked with ticks for quite awhile. They are interesting little creatures but, alas, the Lyme Disease situation is real and troublesome. The comments on here are interesting and, for the most part, accurate. Using Permethrin is effective... it's what I use. Some other wive's tale repellents (such as the peppermint or citrus oil extracts) are fine, but may be impractical for large scale usage. In my experience, DEET isn't totally effective at tick repellency. Post-outing inspections and hot, soapy showers are definitely suggested. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the useful comments guys and I will be spraying not only my clothes with Sawyers, but the base of my pop up ground blinds...That peppermint oil oil video is very useful....how many have had problems removing ticks not just from themselves but the pets...much easier and less stressful for all concerned.

I just put in an order to Amazon for that(Sawyers), food saver bags and extra butane cartridges for the Thermacells...My God the black flies are BAD this year here...You need goggles and a face mask or the bee net I use to be outside more than 5 mins. They swarm your eyes,nose and mouth...

Any ways the butane cartridges are and add on item right now so 2 for 7.05

2 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

Being an Entomologist, I've worked with ticks for quite awhile. They are interesting little creatures but, alas, the Lyme Disease situation is real and troublesome. The comments on here are interesting and, for the most part, accurate. Using Permethrin is effective... it's what I use. Some other wive's tale repellents (such as the peppermint or citrus oil extracts) are fine, but may be impractical for large scale usage. In my experience, DEET isn't totally effective at tick repellency. Post-outing inspections and hot, soapy showers are definitely suggested. 

even without lyme there's something unsettling about a bug buried into your skin feasting off you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I may have a phobia of those nasty little things embedded in me or my daughter. Better safe than sorry. I'd never be able to live with myself if she got Lyme and I didn't do all I could do to prevent it 

IMG_5296.JPG

I use this too. Just remember all it's not for your skin, but for your clothes!

• Like 1

the problem with oil or vasilene on a cotton ball for removal is i've heard and been told not to smother a tick.  it makes them eject the stomach contents which helps transmission of tick born illnesses).  also told not to squeeze the body at all for the same reasons.  i've got O'Tom tick twisters that work well.  otherwise needle pointed tweezers.