Trucks

Buck_shooter

14 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Moog I'm on your side with this one. They are awesome. If I had a cap I'd get one in a heartbeat. But I put my quad in the bed too much to get a cap put on.

It was tough to find pink to match my 26" spinners though.  Well worth the effort.  Looks real classy now. 

• Like 5

Just to lighten this up -- the necessity of a sissy bed rug is an irrefutable FACT.  

I gave one of my other buddies a hard time when he bought a brand new Duramax and put a bed rug in it as soon as he got it. In all honesty it did tickle my fancy a bit.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Your buddy's 2010 didn't have a 5.0. The 5.0 didn't go into production until 2011. That's when the F150s got 3 new engines, the 5.0, ecoboost and 6.2L. The transmissions are 6R80s that got started in 2009 in the F150s and have proven to be solid trannys. The new 10 speed trannys should be cool, can't wait To see how they hold up, I'm guessing they will since Ford and chevy teamed up on building it and put a lot of R&D into it

It very well may have been a 2011 then. He said it was the first year of the 5.0 which I thought was 10. Admittedly I've always been a gm guy.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My vote would be for the 5.0l f150, I had a 2011 f150 with that motor and loved it, I've also owned a 2008 ram with the 5.7l. U get much better gas millage with the ford, the ram ended puffing smoke at 65k miles, every morning I'd start it up up a poof blueish grey smoke. That's when I traded it on the ford. I am not biased to any brand I'm currently driving a gmc, I like them all but so far this gmc and my 2011 fx4 f150 with the 5.0l have been my favorite trucks.

FWIW the 2011 Ram got one of the worst safety ratings out of all truck manufactured. My dad owns one and other than a little surface rust on the rear rocker it has served him well I think he has around 100k on it no issues other than tires wear fast for some reason. My next truck will likely be a 2500 Ram or 2500 Sierra. I'm not a ford fan nor of their V8 engines that have been plagued with issues for years. The twin turbo V6 is overrated and for the price they want for that engine I'll buy a 2500 in another model and be able to pull just about anything and still save myself several thousand dollars.

IMHO if you use a truck for a truck and not just a daily driver look into a HD in any brand. I don't use my truck as a daily driver but when I do drive it I'm hauling or towing something and usually nothing light. My truck is a 2003 1500 Silverado Ext. cab 4wd and towed our 8k lbs. camper, landscape trailer loaded with firewood, 3 ton excavator, 9k lbs. dump trailer, 6k lbs. boat on a regular basis during the summer (everyday for a whole summer) I have towed a lot with this little truck and she just keeps ticking along. Granted while towing I can watch the gas gauge move but she has served me well. I'm not sure what you are looking to do but I wouldn't be too fast to rule out GM products if you are trying to find a dependable pickup. 

• Like 2

Only issue with a gm 2500, if it's not a diesel than ur choice is the 6.0l which is a very outdated engine, on top of that it's only offered with 4.10 gears. So If that were to be your daily driver expect 12mpg. If going with a ram 2500 I'd opt for the 6.4l v8 over the 5.7. Heavy truck needs the bigger motor. And the ford with the 6.2 in the 250 is a good combo. Most people do not need a 3/4 ton truck, I tow a 6k lb travel trailer just fine with a 1/2 ton. Most people use a truck to haul 2x4, or maybe a quad. Get a 1/2 ton and save gas 

I agree with chas.... Ive had GM trucks for 12 years or so and I couldnt be happier.  The 01, fuel lines rotted out at 236,000 miles.  Replaced it with an 07, still going strong with 158,000. Second truck is a 14 Silverado.  56,000 miles.... needs tires and an oil change. Not a single issue with the truck so far.

• Like 1

What ever truck you get ,look into that rust away spray . Even if you just have them do inside the doors ,tailgate and rockers . The stuff is amazing , I had a 2004 cavalier winter car sprayed one time and it's  still is rust free every where.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Well think,I'll pimp.out my hitch hauler with carpet.,Never owned a truck they seem expensive though .

image.jpeg

Clearly you are new to the carpet scene.  When you kill one, you call your buddy and put it in his truck to avoid any blood stains on the carpet.  Don't worry Larry, if that really is your name, you will figure it out in no time. 

• Like 2

My hunting partner  Joe has some sort of Denali with Crome wheels I often use that. He buys two vehicles every two,years , cash . He makes a deal with the dealer , that when he needs them washed or an oil change they pick them up at his work , then bring them back clean by 2:00 .

They are amazed when his city truck is covered in blood and mud .

I think we need to know your budget and use. Do you want to dd it and need some creature comforts or don't you care about that?

All I will add that buying a used truck above 75k is a risky business. And I will add that I do just about all the work on my vehicles. There's something about a truck at that age (especially if exposed to salt) that sometimes makes the headache not worth it. You might fair better with a lease.

Belo is that because they're trucks ? If you count our two adult kids, our vehicles are an '02, '03 and two '04 ,3 of them well into 6 figures on the clock .

The kids jump in them and go to NYC or Boston for the week ends, and we travel to different states with no worry .

Other Then wear items and an odd sensor or wheel bearing I can't come up with much for repairs and those were rather cheap .

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

I think we need to know your budget and use. Do you want to dd it and need some creature comforts or don't you care about that?

All I will add that buying a used truck above 75k is a risky business. And I will add that I do just about all the work on my vehicles. There's something about a truck at that age (especially if exposed to salt) that sometimes makes the headache not worth it. You might fair better with a lease.

Budget isn't really dead set at the moment. My truck is mostly used as a daily driver and for around town. On average I put less than 10k miles per year on it so I expect the body to rot long before I hit too many miles. Normal wear and tear isn't a huge deal as I do my own work on them, I'm just looking for something that doesn't have major mechanical problems like engine or tranny.

• Like 1

Most truck guys have the mentality that's it's just a truck so they skimp on washes , I like to get our vehicles through the car was that sprays the underneith when it gets above freezing during salt season. Worst thing you can do to a vehicle is park it inside during the winter.

1 hour ago, Larry302 said:

Belo is that because they're trucks ? If you count our two adult kids, our vehicles are an '02, '03 and two '04 ,3 of them well into 6 figures on the clock .

The kids jump in them and go to NYC or Boston for the week ends, and we travel to different states with no worry .

Other Then wear items and an odd sensor or wheel bearing I can't come up with much for repairs and those were rather cheap .

Yes specifically trucks. If you don't know the owner, they could have been driven like a car. Or treated like a truck (see Jeremy's note below). Also the 75k mark is when things start needing to be replaced.

1 hour ago, Buck_shooter said:

Budget isn't really dead set at the moment. My truck is mostly used as a daily driver and for around town. On average I put less than 10k miles per year on it so I expect the body to rot long before I hit too many miles. Normal wear and tear isn't a huge deal as I do my own work on them, I'm just looking for something that doesn't have major mechanical problems like engine or tranny.

so just a thought, and there are many misconceptions about leasing. But you can find some nice deals where you're paying ~$300 a month if you stay under 10k a year and with a little money down (maybe your truck as a trade in, you might be surprised what they give you). Now you have a truck for 3 years that's fully covered and in 3 years maybe you're in a spot to buy, or just keep leasing.

Just thinking if you spend anywhere around or over $10k for a solid used truck and finance it, you might be at the same payment point. And after 3 years you're at 100k miles. So yeah after 3 you own it without a payment but you now have a truck with over 100k.

57 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Most truck guys have the mentality that's it's just a truck so they skimp on washes , I like to get our vehicles through the car was that sprays the underneith when it gets above freezing during salt season. Worst thing you can do to a vehicle is park it inside during the winter.

I know some trucks that are babied and others that are treated just like you say. Heck my dad has an 01 Silverado with less than 100k on it and it's never seen a winter. not a spot of rust. only used for towing the boat, trips to camp and hunting. that would be a truck I would buy used. but it's a gamble.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

My suggestion, avoid financing and leasing all together! I'm only 30 but have never paid a car payment in my life and can't imagine I ever will. I own a 2014 Silverado my wife owns a 16 explorer and my daily driver is a 2007 explorer. Paid cash for all of them. Bought my truck a couple years ago and have been paying a "payment" to a separate account every month since. In a couple years I'll have enough to buy another new truck. The good thing about new trucks getting so expensive is that used ones hold their value. I would rather make money on my money than pay someone for money any day. Before someone says it we are far from wealthy just live modestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Buck_shooter said:

In that price range you will be getting the Ford models that had a fair amount of issues spark plugs blowing out, and lacked a lot of power. From 03-early 07 the silverados had gauge cluster issues, sometimes wheel bearing problems, and spongy brakes unless you put quality pads and rotors on them, then rocker and cab corner rot. Ram in those years were straight ugly and transmission problems. If you want a reliable older truck I would be looking at GM products. The GM 5.3L (not sure if you're a car guy but close to the same as those old GM 327 motors) is a pretty bullet proof motor compared to the others of the same year transmission wise I don't think it will fail you.

My truck is a 03 like I mentioned before with 100k miles on it and I have replaced the brake lines and soon the fuel lines, front wheel bearings, and that is it. My wife says I beat on my truck but I use the truck as a truck, hauling and towing isn't nice to any truck no matter how much you keep your foot out of it.

I just bought a 2013 F-150 with the 5.0 engine and 65k on the clock. I am very happy with the truck but haven't had it long enough to give you my true opinion on it. When I was looking I looked at every full size truck brand there was and after a lot of research settled on the F-150 for its price, gas mileage, reviews and looks. It's an XLT model with the chrome package and it has all the goodies I really need in a truck. It's mostly a daily driver but I do use the bed on occasion for home repairs, firewood or hauling around my 4 wheeler. 

• Like 1

I just bought a 2014 Ram Sport with 25k miles. I've only had  it a week. I don't have much to add, but I love it so far. I also got the lifetime max care bumper to bumper. Well worth the money. These trucks are going to cost a fortune to fix down the road with all of these electric motors controlling everything. Sure is nothing like my 03, and I've put plenty of money into that truck over the last 14 years. 

• Like 1

I bought a 14 Ram back in August. Good truck. Nice ride and decent gas milage for a big truck. I had a Nissan Titan for 8+ years before that and would still be driving it if the front end parts and rear end  didn't rot out from all the freaking salt thats used in NY. Used Titans are like hens teeth and new ones are priced through the roof. The Ram is a good bet. I like it.

• Like 1

I HATE my 2007 ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi.  I cant decide if it's the engine that's weak, or a bad transmission.  Regardless, it can't pull a trailer to save it's life.  I get horrible mileage and get to go up hills at like 40 mph unless I want to kick it down and scream it.   I'm driving it til it dies then buying a  Powerstroke.