Settled on my 2017 hunting bow

moog5050

Border Covert hunter 62" and 48lbs at 28".  It's tuned and shooting as well as I have ever shot.  656g arrow at about 183fps which keeps me in the kill zone without adjusting point of aim from 0-25 and just a slightly high aim at 30yds.  About perfect for a recurve.  Very happy.  

CC410C2F-1E8B-483D-B97C-7C3BFC067EE4.jpg

sold the other recurves except one back up.  Gonna stick shooting this through the 2017 season.  Performance is unreal for such as easy drawing bow.  

• Like 9

Jeremy,

if you mean where the string and riser meet, they are called sticktamers.  Supposed to quiet the bow like a string stop but I use them as a place to hang the bow.  They stop the hanger from getting stuck between the string and limb. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Pretty bow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks tacks.   Looks better without the grip tape but I am shooting it so well as is, that I am willing to cover up that pretty riser. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, growalot said:

Thats a nice shooting weight for that bow. you should be able to hold a draw for a good length of time, relatively speaking. what length arrows are you using?

It's an easy weight to hold (as you said relatively speaking 49lbs for me - not 10lbs like a compound but not bad). But I don't typically draw until I think I have a shot.  That said, it's much easier to slowly let down and redraw with a recurve than a compound if needed.  I have 2 sets of arrows tuned for this bow.  One set is 31.5" and the other 33.5".  Both shoot well and they weigh within 10g of each other.  Still not certain which ones I will hunt with but leaning towards the longer Easton axis 260 with 225g heads. 

• Like 1

Great looking bow ! 

I haven't shot since I killed my buck last Nov. and haven't benched with a bar in many years Hell it hurts to grab my wallet ( insert jokes on being cheap,here ).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, moog5050 said:

It's an easy weight to hold (as you said relatively speaking 49lbs for me - not 10lbs like a compound but not bad). But I don't typically draw until I think I have a shot.  That said, it's much easier to slowly let down and redraw with a recurve than a compound if needed.  I have 2 sets of arrows tuned for this bow.  One set is 31.5" and the other 33.5".  Both shoot well and they weigh within 10g of each other.  Still not certain which ones I will hunt with but leaning towards the longer Easton axis 260 with 225g heads. 

2" difference in arrow lengths? Is that for two different anchors? Or is one length for field tips and the other for broadheads?

3 hours ago, Doc said:

2" difference in arrow lengths? Is that for two different anchors? Or is one length for field tips and the other for broadheads?

No - same anchor.  Two different spines. One set are axis 260 and the other FMJ 300.  Stiffer spine requires longer arrow or heavier head to tune the same as the lighter spine.  In this case, it's longer as I use the same 225g head.  I am anal about tuning.  My arrows have the same poi whether they have fieldpoints or broadheads or are bareshafts. 

• Like 1

I have to remember I think it was Easton 2115 lt that my Archery guy Ray set me up with years ago...full length...my arrows now are still full length due to the left eye rt handed shooting...... just carbons with quick spins not feathers still lighter

• 2 weeks later...