203" New York Whitetail (Typical)

BizCT

Close to,30 years of killing deer with a bow , including the very first year, I've owned two bows. A Golden Eagle and a  Reflex. Don't ask me about let offs , cams, risers , valleys because I don't know crap about those things .

I got  the Golden Eagle because a salesman at work back then used to,work,for them so he got one for me , 18 or 20 years later Phil at Indian MTN suggested I might like the Reflex .

Its the carpenter not the hammer .

9 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Close to,30 years of killing deer with a bow , including the very first year, I've owned two bows. A Golden Eagle and a  Reflex. Don't ask me about let offs , cams, risers , valleys because I don't know crap about those things .

I got  the Golden Eagle because a salesman at work back then used to,work,for them so he got one for me , 18 or 20 years later Phil at Indian MTN suggested I might like the Reflex .

40 years of bow hunting for me; I DIDN'T kill one the first, second or third years of bow hunting.  I've had 4 compound bows in those years but about 4-6 "traditional" bows.  Killed with every bow I've hunted with..........

I know very very little about all those technical terms too Larry, just enough to get 'er done. :)

Just keep an open mind. I buy a new one every other year and have owned them all except a bowtech. Shot one 15 years ago and hated it and never looked at them again. Last year was new bow year and I ended up with a bowtech. The thing just plain shoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had several Old Glorys, a General, and a Sentinel and loved them. I haven't shot the newer ones but won't consider them with their limb issues

40 years of bow hunting for me; I DIDN'T kill one the first, second or third years of bow hunting.  I've had 4 compound bows in those years but about 4-6 "traditional" bows.  Killed with every bow I've hunted with..........
I know very very little about all those technical terms too Larry, just enough to get 'er done.

I have no idea what that stuff is either, I just know you can pick them in different colors. I'm torn because camo bow with orange strings or black bow with neon green strings.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Was browsing the SCI record books today in New York for typical whitetails and came across this 203" buck. Anyone familiar with it?

203.jpg

SCI's record book does not have deductions for abnormalities in the symmetry like P&Y, B&C...etc. It's just a gross score maximizing potential rack/horn size.

So they score the entire rack and that makes the scores above average for any antler/horned animal.

Honestly that book makes folks feel good to see their name in there and makes money for SCI with the entry fees; but its doesn't factor maturity and often rewards hunters by having them shoot younger larger horns/antlers rather than mature animals which lose score when older/mature. For example Cape Buffalo have suffered for this quest, shooting for width instead of age has actually decreased the quality of bulls in many places.

Such a ridiculously small percentage of animals taken also don't lend that book to any scientific value; I have 3 that would make top ten in plains game, and I know a dozen hunter who could beat those numbers.

I have looked at it, and it does serve a purpose if one is unfamiliar with a species to give an idea of what a good to better representative animal should be, and what someone might be telling you when you need to pull the trigger.

57 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I have no idea what that stuff is either, I just know you can pick them in different colors. I'm torn because camo bow with orange strings or black bow with neon green strings.

20170721_182014.jpg

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Go with camo and orange , those are hunting colors . Neon green is so over done with the zombie craze .

11 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Go with camo and orange , those are hunting colors . Neon green is so over done with the zombie craze .

I hate zombie stuff, never got into any of those shows. I always liked the kawasaki green and black combo. 

4 hours ago, steve863 said:

If you buy one of the better bows, plus all the rest of the contraptions you will spend close to what you'd pay for a Weatherby.  All that loot, and you'll be able to kill deer out to a whopping distance of 50 yards (if you are good shot that is)!  LOL That is why I'll stick to my rifle, thank you.  Tried the bowhunting thing, but never became this obsession that others seem to claim.  My .02 cents.

Unethical shooting 50 yards……..you should know better! lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, First-light said:

Unethical shooting 50 yards……..you should know better! lol

Oh, believe me.  I don't think a bow is very effective past 25 or 30 yards, but I don't want to rile up all the bow hunters here who think they could hit a fly in the eye at 50 yards.

• Like 1

Oh, believe me.  I don't think a bow is very effective past 25 or 30 yards, but I don't want to rile up all the bow hunters here who think they could hit a fly in the eye at 50 yards.

Just lob it in, like playing cornhole- all touch.

• Like 2

I am by no means a elite archery hunter and love my xbow rifles muzzleloaders and anything else they will allow me to hunt with but 30 yards isn't giving the new gear enough credit. I personally think a competent compound shooter will out shoot a xbow day after day. Also think most new gear has the ability to out shoot the shooter shooting it. I am extremely comfortable to 40 and many guys are way past me. Out west many guys don't get many shots less then that.

Not trying to start an argument here just staying personal beliefs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I am by no means a elite archery hunter and love my xbow rifles muzzleloaders and anything else they will allow me to hunt with but 30 yards isn't giving the new gear enough credit. I personally think a competent compound shooter will out shoot a xbow day after day. Also think most new gear has the ability to out shoot the shooter shooting it. I am extremely comfortable to 40 and many guys are way past me. Out west many guys don't get many shots less then that.

Not trying to start an argument here just staying personal beliefs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Agree- most NY hunters live in a vacuum of treestands and 18yd shots.

• Like 2