Tunnel Of Death

outdoorstom

As we all know, hunting near food plots is often not a good idea due to getting busted as you enter or leave. Last year I built a berm which worked well, but I did get caught a few times as I climbed up and down. I hope to go undetected this year

IMG_3043.JPG

Edited by outdoorstom
  • Like 7

LOL....the swamp buck....3  of my 8  pts were taken the next day or within 3 days of my leaf blowing or before that mowing leafs off trails....the hysteria guys that own their hunting property and are on it  have about disturbing the woods makes me laugh.

Edited by growalot

That is how I feel about crunching through the woods trying not to spook deer..or in the dark not being able to hear whats out there near me. More than once the shuffling of a skunk in leaf litter has saved me some real ace ache...allowibg me to back away without spooking it...let me step behind a tree when I heard the humph of a bear. Stop when hearing the approach of deer...

I'm positive it irritates the guys hunting close to my lines..but it they have any common sense they'd consider its a help...cams have shown deer literally following me,passing cams just minutes behind me. That and they stand at a distance and calmy watch my direction.. besides it's a safety issue with me..too many injuries to risk a twisted ankle ,knee or face plant with unseen limbs ,roots, rocks under leaf cover. Well worth An hour or two of noise.

I have cut trails through thickets only to have deer take them over. They love them. So now, I usually run the trails past my stand a ways with a little spur off to get in my stand. Actually, the trails are intended to let me survive the multi-flora rose thickets and still be able to come out the other side in one piece. The areas where I have to cut trails would not be huntable without that kind of hacking. What it does is give me unique access to the kinds of cover that other people will not venture into. That makes them sanctuary areas for the deer when the hunting pressure begins.

• Like 2

Maybe you should consider paving your trails to avoid injury.

Well that seemed like an un-need hostile comment but so be it...I do what is best for my hunting  and BTW...you might want to look around ...you'll find many...such as Charles Alshiemer,(sp) Grant Woods and several others that were using leaf blowers to clear trails to stands way back when I was still mowing them...

http://www.gon.com/hunting/blower-bucks-think-outside-the-box-for-suburban-backyard-deer

https://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/2016/09/14/whitetail-wednesday-dr-grant-woods-simple-trick-sneaking-treestand/

Perhaps one of the best tips I can offer is to rake the entrance/exit trail to a stand. Eliminating all leaves and debris from the trail will offer a silent entry or exit from the stand location.

with 2 miles of trails raking isn't and option any more...but I use to..